main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY New Person, any more meetings?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Aidyl, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aidyl

Aidyl Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2008
    Is this group still active, and will there be any more meetings? I'd be interested in comign if the group was. I love star wars!What's so funny is that you gusy met at a resturant that I've been to several times (mocca).

2. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    We kind o fhave informal meetings now. Nothing really planned for the future at the moment. Mocca is actually the 'Museum of Cartoon and Comic Art' http://www.moccany.org/
    It basically came down to having a hard time finding a decent private meeting space. We used to have them at my husband's and I's house, but after a recent incident, we stopped doing that. We also used to do them at the Manhattan Mall food court, but it was too noisy.
    Keep an eye on our boards, maybe we'll do something soon. Summer is just a bad time since we do a lot of events with the 501st and RL (plus conventions) and they take up our weekends when a meeting might be.

3. NYCravenclaw

NYCravenclaw Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2008
    This one time great club is as dead as their website.

Sadly, once the old leaders left, the club became like a slug with salt thrown on it. It shriveled and died a quick but painful death.

There used to be awesome events. Celebrity dinners and meet and greets, convention involvement, charity events, but they all went the way of the dodo once LadySith and her team diappeared. The club became a clique of about 4-5 people.

I know all good things must come to an end. And after the founders of this group took all the crap they could swallow from other so called fan groups and the disrespect from the 501st, they calle dit quits. Too bad you weren't around a few years ago. It was golden here.

Try Long Island. they are still a solid group. Good luck!

4. RnRJedi007

RnRJedi007 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2003
    Hi Aidyl. We the LI group (docking Bay516) has meeting
    every month. Sunday we had summer BBQ meeting.[face_cow]
    check out our board-
    http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10387
    check our website- http://www.db516.com/

BTW, RavenClaw thankx for the postive feedback:D

5. MerlynNY

MerlynNY Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2002
    Wow, I love how the 501st is thrown into this. For your information, whoever you are, the Northeast Remnant, which is a garrison in the 501st has had a WONDERFUL relationship with SWNYC, as well as MEPA over the years. So whatever "disrespect" you refer to, it certainly did not happen here.

If you checked your facts you would know that our garrison prides itself on our crossover members (members who take part in various fangroups). I am proud to say that many MEPA members, both past and present are in fact 501st/Northeast Remnant members as well. Disrespect? Hardly.

6. Svenbarry

Svenbarry Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2008
    From what I'm told, MEPA is still alive. They just don't conduct their business on these forums.

You can't blame them. When beastiality nazi hate groups like NYLINE have nothing better to do, they troll on here looking to start trouble.

It's all quite sad.

I've heard many wonderful things about the 501st and the northeast remnant.

7. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    It's not fair to blame the entire NY Line. It was just a select few troglodytes who joined their organization and whispered poison in their ears to cause trouble for us. Hate, yes... but the term "Nazi" is far too extreme. (Rumors of bestiality are completely unfounded.)

"NYCravenclaw" speaks of the golden age and decline of MEPA in such a familiar poetic fashion that I can only believe he or she is one of the members pictured in our banner. I invite NYCravenclaw to elaborate on the "disrespect" we suffered from the 501st.

8. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    NYC Ravenclaw. I appreciate your kind words about the so called "Golden Age of MEPA"

While a small part of my reason for leaving was the ugliness from certain members of all groups, the truth is, I was burned out. And I had a daughter with special needs who needed more of my time.

MEPA or SWNYC as it was first called, was born because of two things. NY Line (who achieved it's golden age the first go around IMO) and The DMEB (An online female based Darth Maul Fan group) It started as a group of friends who met on the line and began to hang out. It grew into a glorious monster. We were on top of the world. Of course, it would only be a matter of time before the maddening pace we were keeping would cause us to implode. No fan group could have kept on doing what we were doing on the non-existent budget we had of time and money. I am very proud of what we achieved, and look back with fond memories on the good times and bad, for I believe they are all learning experiences.

I would like to say that while we did have issues with certain members of the 501st, Dion Rupa and the NER were nothing but ever supportive of all our groups endeavors.

So I am happy for the time I spent and the people I met. Although I don't see my MEPA and 501st friends anymore, that is due to the time constraints placed upon me by my ocean loving daughter, who is now a certified SCUBA diver and is a avid surfer (Of the waves not the net) I think of you all with much love and am better for having met you. Thank you all for being part of my life. Especially Alan, Laura, Rick, Will, Kristin, Dion, Tanya, Zippy, Meri, Ed, Joe, Kevin, Lance, Sam, Moriah, Dave, Darth Dave, Maggie, and of course, Jar Jar Mark. To anyone else I forgot I apologize and I am getting very teary-eyed now.

Incidentally, 2009 is out 10 year anniversary, as it is likely none of us would have met (nor a few of us married) if not for a certain movie release in 1999. I'm thinking we should do something....a party maybe?

9. MerlynNY

Aug 27, 2002
    Oooh.. did I hear party? Count me in! :D

10. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    A party sounds fantastic. Chris, we haven't seen you in one and a half years and we'd love to get together again soon.

11. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    You know it's funny, I was just thinking the other day of how much fun we all used to have together planning huge SUCCESSFUL (hehe) events and hanging out together. The 501st chapters (both the NE Remnant and the ECG) were huge parts of our events and we always worked well together. Zippy and Dion were always on the planning committees with Chris, myself, Alan, Will, John, etc. etc. ad nauseum, and if I may toot our own horn, I think we pulled off some pretty amazing stuff. The Attack of the Clones IMAX weekends we had were like nothing I've ever experienced and probably never will again. They were some of the best times in my "Star Wars life"

Yes, sadly Darth Real Life has gotten to many of us. I have been dealing with my mother being ill with ovarian cancer for the past 9 months and it's taken its toll believe me. However, I would LOVE for us all to get together like the old days and catch up and see where we all are now.

Count your old and busted RSA in!!

EDIT: Let's dress up in our 80's clothes and go out for bootleg pizza!

12. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    MMMMMM Bootleg pizza

13. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Dion and I were talking about all getting together for that new Clone Wars cartoon...might ne fun! :D

14. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Count me in for any plans on that. We used to put together events so cool it'd turn goat's milk to gasoline. I got a real car now so I can travel more :)

15. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Count me in for any Clone Wars fun! I'm so excited to see Anakin's um..padawan..yeah...sure...that fits with the storyline and his character *rolls eyes*

Seriously...Anakin's PADAWAN?!?! Yeah ok, let's put yet ANOTHER scantily-clad female into the Star Wars universe and ...oh wait let's make her a TEENAGER! Yeah! That will work! And oh wait you guys will love this...let's make her Anakin's padawan! Yes, the same Anakin who the Jedi Council didn't TRUST enough to do things on his OWN...yeah, I know what will fix him...let's give him someone to be in complete charge of! That will solve everything!

*sigh*

Oh well, at least Mr. Hotness Obi-Wan is in it, and in armor...hehe

Seriously though, it looks like it will be some mindless fun, and any Star Wars excuse for us all to get together is good enough for me :)

16. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    And HAHA Dion your sig made me laugh...I forgot about "The List"

You go King Dion!

17. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    I'm up for hanging out. 80s clothes, bootleg pizza, or WOW, I don't care.

I wish I could be around more. Alas, I'm in retail so Saturdays are rarely good for me.

By the way, don't forget DB 516 was my idea. It was founded because of Darth Real Life interfering with my attending MEPA events. Without MEPA there wouldn't be DB 516 as we know it (if at all). I learned a lot from MEPA on how to run a fan club, both good and bad things. SWNYC and MEPA will always be a fond memory for me. It got me through a difficult time. Thank you everyone for that.

I miss everyone! Group hug.

18. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    I was there for the big events, like dinner with Jeremy Bulloch, TRU midnight madness and other events and conventions and even think upon Empire Fan Fest with fond memories. The 501st, especially Dion and the NER, have always been our close friends and always invited us to events when the organizers allowed. Its true that some people from NY Line, who shall remain nameless, put a damper on our fun and acted as they could to try and take away our thunder, but it wasn't all of them. Running a club is work. It takes time, money, commitment. We're all older now. We have jobs, children, families and other things that take our time.

19. MerlynNY

Aug 27, 2002
    Good points Mike. Even being married, I've found that I don't have as much focus as I did when I first got involved in fandom over around 8 years ago. Plus, as Chris has mentioned, you just can't maintain that level of energy everyone had over an extended period of time. Eventually you burn out. One cannot expect to maintain the level of activitiy you guys had a few years back, especially while juggling a job, a spouse, children, etc. It's not possible and something has to give.

That said, there's nothing stoping us from getting together on a smaller scale to enjoy each other's company, which to be honest, I've now come to value more than the events themselves.

20. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    yeah...but we scare the normals if we all dress up in star wars costumes to go bowling :(

21. MerlynNY

Aug 27, 2002
    Isn't that the point? :D

22. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Im all for scaring the straights :p

23. Svenbarry

Svenbarry Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2008
    I'm gay. Would it be okay if I went bowling with the straights?

I'm very new to fanworlds.

24. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    We welcome all types of people from all walks of life :)

25. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    You guys can always have a meeting by coming to Chicago last minute for Wizard World this weekend. But you can't stay with me, because my parents already have dibs. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.