main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR New playable Races??

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Vassago, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    How do you know Corso is a Kiffar?

You should choose a species that is small and speaks basic. Like the Aleen.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't see why they couldn't bring in species-specific armour/clothes in the game. Galaxies did it for Wookies and others so it can be done and it would solve problems of having big horns and whatnot since you could craft helmets with holes in.

3. Duro_Blade

Duro_Blade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2002
    well given your vast knowledge on the species so far "they're just black humans" I'd say you arent much of an authority. But given the look based against canon EU kiffar we've seen, seems logical:

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100809083533/starwars/images/8/8c/Quin_JvS_HS.jpg]

[image=http://images.wikia.com/swtor/images/0/08/Riggs1.png]

safe bet.

4. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    Why doesent he once use his special ability?

5. Duro_Blade

Jan 4, 2002
    that's like saying "I didn't see any Trandos skin wookiees, guess they're fakes." maybe because it wasn't relevant? it's not like battle meditation. he can pick things up and see flashes of who last owned them an such. not really a major special ability in this game, outside of the story.

6. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    He is from Ord Matell, its probably just Kiffar facepaint, nothing else.

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Not all Kiffar people have the ability to read objects. And who says they can only live on Kiffu? Plenty of other species have migrated around the galaxy.

8. Duro_Blade

Jan 4, 2002
    Was about to say this. Kiffar aren't exclusively from Kiffu, just like real life where not all...say...Asian folks are directly from Asia.

9. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Even though I've yet to play the game (don't bag on me I know I'm crazy:p) I would love to be able to play as a Mon Calamarian

10. Duro_Blade

Jan 4, 2002
    Was thinking that too. there are a couple NPCs in the game that are Mon. would love it.

11. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Well, in 1.4 (I think, at least) we are getting Cathar. Mixed feelings on this. I am excited for new races, but this seems like a bland one to kick off with. Would have liked something a bit more exotic: Nautolan, Togruta, Iktotch, Cerean.

I have to believe this is coming at some point. They can't expect to just keep limiting races due to horns, head-tails, or stature. I was so annoyed when I found out Twi'lek couldn't use hoods. They need to get some species specific gear rolling for in-game species and ones upcoming. What is the problem with having the lekku coming down the front, out of the hood? No, lets just remove the hood. Easier. [face_waiting]

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  12. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    After yesterday's Q&A, no timeframe on the Cathar. Also, it was stated it will be available on the Cartel Shop, as a test to see if its something people would spend Cartel Coins on, so the wording makes it seem that you'll need to spend CC to unlock it whether you're a subscriber or not....

Personally I'd love to play as a Bothan.

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I haven't been keeping up with the Q&A's but I always see them mentioned in GenChat. I had heard Cathar wasn't coming out in 1.4, but is the Cartel Shop coming out in 1.4? Or is that even later?

14. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Cartel Shop is November when the game goes Free to play. I expect the Test Server will have it either last week of October or first week of November (the only date they are sticking with is F2P and Cartel Shop coming in November)

15. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Dang, really? I thought that was coming out this month, with 1.4. Guess things change. Oh well!

16. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

Evocii. I would really like to play as one. I would love to show ''master'' what i am made of. It's abut time that for some slave species to become prominent.

17. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Game Update 1.5 contains a host of new features including:

• New playable companion, HK-51 – Begin your journey to unlock one of the galaxies deadliest assassins.
    • Section X –Head to Belsavis to discover this new daily hub and learn what you can do to help stop the Dread Masters in their newest scheme.
    • Nightmare Mode Explosive Conflict – Take on even greater challenges in Explosive Conflict to earn the final pieces of the Dread Guard set and more.
    Now available on the PTS

18. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Back before the game launched one of the developers made it pretty clear that the odds of seeing less humanoid races is extremely low, and species that don't speak basic even less so. The primary reason seemed to be that the current roster of species are pretty much interchangeable. If you play as a Twi'lek, you can still develop a romance with your human companion, as you can if you're a Mirialan, a Chiss, a Human, etc. If they allow playable Trandoshans or Mon Calamari, that becomes much more awkward to sell the idea that a giant reptile can just replace a human or a zabrak without fundamentally changing things and pretty much tailoring a completely new gaming experience and story from beginning to end around what it would be like to be a Trandoshan. And with a species like a Wookiee, it would throw the voice acting element out the window as your character's dialogue would consist of hours of grunts and snarls, and that it wouldn't make the most sense for every single NPC to understand what you're saying.

Cathar were announced as being a new species to be added next, and I think that's about as non-human as it's going to get, though TOR already sold the idea on relationships between Cathar and the other potential species when it comes to Aric Jorgan.

Something like a Falleen, Togruta, etc. seem far more likely. And those listed in the OP seem like they could work.

19. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Sullastan!!!!