main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy Discussion - **NO** Politics (& maybe Religion) in Sigs

Discussion in 'Communications' started by MrEmh, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    I have gotten upset at signatures before. Insane Anakin called me the Anti-Christ in his sig and for his refusal to change it, I banned him. Then there was the small tale comment in German...personally, I think it was a decidedly odd sexual innuendo, but on the advice of others, I did nothing. It was changed shortly thereafter. Those were sigs that were attacking one person, and rightly they were dealt with.

However, what we have here is an idea that some can express a belief about themselves (see the recent examples of "I am..." signatures) and be banned or warned for it. I am glad an idea as idiotic as that is being overturned and actually discussed for once.

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "I have gotten upset at signatures before. Insane Anakin called me the Anti-Christ in his sig and for his refusal to change it, I banned him."

Yeah, but calling you the Anti-Christ is flaming, as far as I can tell.

But if I were to get all bent out of shape over your sig as it is now, I'd like to think someone would beat me over the head with some sort of mallet and tell me to take a step back into reality, rather than you having to change it.

Amazing.

3. MrEmh

May 14, 1999
    Exactly. Action was taken when a sig was offensive and flaming (ie, against the ToS). That's the only time when sigs should be forceably changed.

4. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    I'll do that for you Amazing. ;)

Anyway, I'll just add my voice in real quick and say that I wish this had been discussed in the AC first, but now that its done, we can't change the past.

5. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Right. The rules already in effect were enough to cover issues involving sigs.

If this policy is accepted it will set a horrible precedent.

Not too mention the near impossibility of enforcing such a rule.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I just don't want to hide the fact that I was one of the mods supporting the rule. From my point of view politics belong in the senate and if we want to have an unpolitical JC we shouldn't put political statements in sigs either.

Just so you know who one of the mods was. :)

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Shes a witch! Burn her! ;)

Thank you for your honesty Obi Anne. It takes integrity to admit you backed an unpopular decision and hopefully people will respect you for that even if they disagree with your position.

8. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm glad you've come forward with your feelings and decision, even though I seriously disagree with you. :)

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah, I've seen that, and I respect it. :)

10. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Hell, I suggested religous statements be included in the policy as well.

11. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Griffz is a heretic, and should be burned at the stake immediately.

AYBABTU?

12. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    As much as I may hate to say it...

I disagree with GriffZ on this one.

13. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I feel Griff is trying to cash in on the integrity angle and demand he be beaten with some sort of dooknob filled burlap sack.

;)

14. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Go ahead. Unlike certain people, I don't get too worked up when I disagree with someone. [face_plain]

Honestly, I actually don't care; it could go either way and I wouldn't give a damn. I came to these boards to discuss Star Wars. Now I come here to moderate, talk with some people, and -- gasp! -- discuss Star Wars.

Being unable to express my political views in my signature does not affect my enjoyment of this place one bit.

15. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I'm glad that this is not as final as it appeared last night.

Waits patiently for resolution...

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Tell people they cannot do or say something, and they will care where they did not care before.

People want to be able to say or do reasonable things, even if they don't actually do it often.

17. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    by the way MrEmh... you may want to change your sig to the correct spelling of Banned.

I'm not sure how the mods would make you baned. That means "to kill especially with poison". Did they threaten you with arsenic? ;)

18. MrEmh

May 14, 1999
    I'm paying homage to myself. Leave me alone! :p

19. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    :eek: Shameless selfpromotion! :p

I hope that [face_plain] isn't directed at me. :( :_|

20. Bail_Movement

Bail_Movement Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    I think Darth Vader will kick butt in episode III.

21. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Quiet, Bail. Can't you see we're having a mature, intelligent, and productive discussion here?

22. MrEmh

May 14, 1999
    No need to lie to the boy, Griff. ;)

23. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Wow...I can't believe this would actually be considered and gone through!! I've been reading a few posts, and they have said that this is a Star Wars board...yet, when someone brings up some of the dumb topics that are made in the JC Community, it's "Oh, well, that's for everyday things...it doesn't have to be Star Wars related..." When did that change? I thought sigs were a great thing to set us all apart as individuals, be it politically or religously. If someone wants to flame someone on their sig, then take care of that person...I see nothing wrong with having a Bible verse or political statement on a sig, unless is flaming someone, or an idea. I can't see how this would be good for the long run...I am not one to complain about what happens here...the boards are probably oen of the best things that has ever happened to me...but this I do not agree with...What about Bios? Are they next? People can take offense to those, too. True, they're not as visible as sigs...but if someone wants something to complain about, all they have to do is click on a name, and there ya go...

I am deeply saddened and disappointed at this decision...alas, the persecution begins...

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I am deeply saddened and disappointed at this decision

Vertical has already announced that the decision is not in effect at the moment and that it is being reconsidered.

25. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Well, that makes me a bit happier, KnightWriter...... :)

I was just disappointed it was brought up to begin with, and it turned into a mods vs. posters war...well, semi-war, anyways...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.