main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy Discussion - **NO** Politics (& maybe Religion) in Sigs

Discussion in 'Communications' started by MrEmh, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    How 'bout we scrub the hair off of it? [face_laugh]

2. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    To keep beating the dead horse :)

Clarifying what I said earlier:
    Banning someone should be a last resort, when they're totally unreasonable. Free speech is an endangered right, and I would hate to see it disappear in a discussion board. The Internet is the most free place in the world, so far...until the special interests and PC-mongers take over.

3. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
  4. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    This chimp has volunteered to clean up the beaten dead horse once he's finished washing the cat:

[image=http://www.oldmatador.com/anim_monkey.gif]

5. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    3 cheers for reasonable mods!

6. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Here's cheer number 1. ;)

[image=http://www.animecowboy.com/gallery/Cowboy_Bebop/Spike_Spiegel/spike30.jpg]

7. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    what i don't get is why one or two people's "offensive" political sigs required a swift and hardcore abolishment of all political sigs. this seems like taking the easy way out rather than dealing with the real issue which is individuals rather than the entire community. since when are any and all political sigs so dangerous and inflammatory? there are many forms of political statements that are in fact completely benign in nature. the notion that ANY form of political sig is detrimental to the community is completely ridiculous and narrow minded.

oh, and by the way, saying that something (anything) doesn't belong here because this is a star wars message board is a cop out. this is a large and diverse community. star wars is the foundation, the common denominator, not a requirement for discussion.

[face_plain]

8. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Beating the dead horse is my favorite part of the job.

9. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    Radiohead, the monkey pic was kinda cute the first time, now it's just annoying. If you don't have anything of import to offer, then why post?

10. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The Senate Floor is intended as the only forum in the JC for political discussion.
    I'm not lookin to discuss when it's in my sig. I guess I can't say "I am a man" in my sig because it might offend people.

Failure to remove all or part of a signature when asked could result in your banning from the forums.

Ah, this would've been nice to know before they banned me. [face_plain]

Sorry, this whole thing is bull.

11. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Vanderbait, glad to see you're back. This whole situation is bush....

12. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Glad to have you back, Vaderbait. :) I was just wondering when this entire situation would be cleared up satisfactorily. The whole situation is, as mentioned, really unnecessary.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    When can we expect a decision by the Administration about the matter?

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    stevo,

Vertical wrote this a bit further back;

As an update on this situation, the mods who are online right now are currently discussing the proposed policy, and the way in which it was enacted.

For the record, this policy is not in effect. Consider it a proposal for the time being, and make use of this thread to voice your opinions on such a policy. Criticism is welcome, but please make it constructive. Taking this as an opportunity to slam the administration as a whole may be satisfying for you, but that's not the point of this thread. I think we're all aware that this situation wasn't handled ideally, and we're working on a better solution for everyone.

Again, this policy is not in effect. It is being discussed with the AC, in the Mod Squad, and here. We're interested in getting everyone's thoughts, and the mods will make the final call on this issue, once an informed majority opinion is reached. This may take a day or so, but we want to get as many opinions on this as possible.

15. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    It goes against the Constitution.

16. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
  17. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    This proposition is not right. Here is an example :

JC member A is attracted to the opposite sex. JC member B is far right wing and believes homosexuality is wrong. B takes offense to the fact that A is homosexuel and states the fact in his or her sig. B complains with others, because they are always others, that its disturbing and political. A is banned.

One example but there are thousands more.

18. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    The Constitution only applies to acts of the government. This board is privately owned; they can make whatever rule they see fit. I do not agree with the policy, but it is within their right to enact it.

19. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    It goes against the Constitution.

Even though I am on the side opposite the Administration on this issue, the only constitution that applies to this situation is the TOS. The idea is to keep the administration from changing the TOS -- the U.S. Constitution has nothing to do with this since, as far as I know, TF.n does not take federal funding.

JC member A is attracted to the opposite sex. JC member B is far right wing and believes homosexuality is wrong. B takes offense to the fact that A is homosexuel and states the fact in his or her sig. B complains with others, because they are always others, that its disturbing and political. A is banned.

That confused me beyond words.

So are you saying that by these guidelines a person attracted to the same sex could be banned through the actions of another attracted to the opposite sex?

20. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    No, he means that depending on the person and situation, almost anything can cause a person to take offense.

21. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    Thats right, some people always take advantage of the system . . .

22. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    That's fine, I wasn't questioning the logic. I was just looking for a clarification. Thank you.

23. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    Wow. Just wow.

Did you guys really think the common lowly poster was just going to blindly sit back and let this happen?

This just goes to show just how foolish some of this board's admin's decisions are...before their "reviews".

It also goes to show just how worthless the whole concept of the Advisory Council was and how it was just there to throw the board members a bone. I said it way back when and I was right, sorry to say.

Still I'm heartened to see enough people complained that the admins had to do a little backpeddling.

24. KitFist0

Nov 10, 2001
    This thread is for constructive comments only. Learn from Padme : Rebuild from within the frame work ;)

25. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Critisizing the mods doesn't get anything accomplished. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.