main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy Discussion - **NO** Politics (& maybe Religion) in Sigs

Discussion in 'Communications' started by MrEmh, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    hmm.....

Well, here is my opinion.

I left the JC for about 4 months because of arbritrary rules such as this. I left when the AC was just being formed. Much drama was happening......it is still happening. [face_plain]

This rule is just plain ridiculous. I understand the knee-jerk reaction to it being thought of...but am not understanding why logic did not take over in the decision making process.

Now, I think that the administration knows that ANY change is going to be tough...but this one is sooooo radical.

TO ban it completly,regardless of the "we can make any rule we want" way of thinking...regardless to the idea that this is a "private board", will take away from the quality these boards have. You will lose good members....intelligent members who post good threads.

Remember, it may be privatly owned, but WE are the ones who keep it going.

2. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Well, I just got home from putting in 13 hours at the office, and it's taken me about 1/2 hour to read these two threads and think about it. I was online last night when all of this hit the fan. so my comments are as follows.

Crash and burn (we did a good job last night)
    Burn and learn (resolution is now being developed)
    Growing pains (something new every day)
    Don't throw out the baby with the bath water (save our AC)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a present (learn from our mistakes, make tomorrow a better day, stay with us today)

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] to each member here, for your thoughts, your concerns, your hard work to keep this place alive and clean, your luv for the JC. Hang in there; we will survive another crisis. :) :) :)

3. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    My two cents wasn't listened to last time religion was censored, so I have no idea why I'm typing this now. Maybe I just hold out hope that the mods will finally listen to me.

When asked why he put the Force into his movies, one of the stated reasons by the man, George Lucas himself, was so that people would start to think about spiritual things. To ban someting just because it causes problems now and again is to take the easy way out. Things are hard in life because we humans need to be pushed to grow! Sometimes part of the nature of growth is conflict.

How we handle conflict says more about us as human beings than almost anything in life.

Just outright banning that which might cause a problem is NOT the solution.

I understand the appeal that it has for those who moderate this boards, but so much will be lost if this thing goes through. You have to ask yourselves is it worth it.

Think about it.

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    This is a crisis. We must vote the Mods immediate emergency powers...oh wait, that's how this whole problem arose in the first place. :p

I wouldn't call this a crisis. It's just becoming a bit of drama, and was essentially a mistake from the mods (some of them have said it needs to be reviewed). I think we should calm down a bit and wait until the policy is reviewed, then we can start making drama again. ;)

5. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    I push for a vote of no confidence in . . . 8-}

6. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    And you know, another thing strikes me as needing to be said as no one has said it.

Allowing yourself to become angry by what another person puts in their sig, says, wears, looks like, etc. is giving that person power over your emotions.

Who is in control of your emotions? You or some guy with a sig?

Psychologically speaking everyone can choose how they want to react to anything, because your emotions arise from thought. Sure you might not be aware of the thought at first, but with time you learn to recognize those thoughts. In time you learn to take some responsiblity for your emotional state. Many people don't like to hear this, because they realize how much time they've wasted by letting other people control them emotionally.

Stand up and take some responsibility for your lives people. Don't give someone else power over your life!

7. Dead_Horse

Dead_Horse Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    Sorry it took me so long to get here.
    I was a little busy trying to deal with the "no 'under God' thing in the pledge of allegiance"...

Can you hurry this up? I got places to be...

I think I hear Anna Nicole Smith calling me...

8. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] @ dead horse......that was great.I love it. Dead horse....you are the reason why I will stay aroubd for atleast a litte while.

9. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "It was called to his attention multiple times that his sig was incredibly offensive, yet he simply laughed it off and refused to change it"

Actually he was banned before he could change it, without warning. Do you know who banned him? Do you know where that particular mod is now? Ethril was told he would only be unbanned if he changed his sig to an apology and left it as such for a certain period of time(a few months I think). I agree that the sig was unnecesarily offensive, and he should have changed it. But he shouldn't have to put some apology in his sig for a month. A forced apology is meaningless.

But from what I hear, he doesn't even want to come back, so just ignore this post if you want.

10. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Let me just say this:

The JC Boards is not the United States of America, we don't have the same freedom of speech, and that's understandable.

However, I will not agree to have my political beliefs stamped out. I do have a right to put my political beliefs in my sig if I wish, as long as it is within reason.

The sig line I had, I explained many many times that it wasn't a racial thing, and people who would immediately misconstrue it are unreasonable and oversensitive. I can see the restrictions of political and religious things, but ONLY WHEN they coincide with the rules of this board. No racism, no swear words not on the Simpsons, you know, that sort of thing.

Again, this whole thing is bull.

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I think political and religious views in sigs should be allowed as long as they are not derogatory or slam other people. Personally, I think sigs are a form of personal expression and I enjoy seeing what others have written. If it's a political or religious view I don't agree with, I ignore it. Everyone has a right to their opinions. Isn't that what these boards are all about?

12. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    Actually, Saint, having looked into Ethril's case I can say at first it was a bit iffy, the whole perm ban thing. I did not like it. Then he came back on several occassions and viciously trolled the forums, pretty much setting the torch to his chances of being let back here.

13. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I think political and religious views in sigs should be allowed as long as they are not derogatory or slam other people.

Exactly what I was trying to say. They are a form of expression, but now I guess we're only allowed to state statistical numbers in our sigs. And if people don't like the number, you'll get in trouble for that, too.

EDIT: Hm...I have a problem with CeeJay's sig. In it he states the following about ROTJ "What did we do to deserve this?!" I like this movie, and I think he should have it removed. [face_plain]

Actually, I don't mind if he doesn't like it, or if he has it in his sig, but that's exactly what these restrictions will end up getting us.

14. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Well in that case, and coupled with the fact that his sig was absolutely tasteless and offensive, I won't lost much sleep over him not coming back.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    There are no restrictions currently in place, nor will there in the near future.

16. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    If you feel compelled to put something political in your sig it's your perogative.

Just use common sense, as should always be the case regardless of the nature of your sig.

17. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    So the great debate is over then?

18. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    As far as I'm concerned it was over a long time ago.

19. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Well, we still have to get an update of the discussions.

But yeah.

20. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Just use common sense, as should always be the case regardless of the nature of your sig.

This makes sense. But, uh...why does the thread title say **NO** Politics? Hm...? ;)

And if there will be no restrictions (other than taste and reason and such), then this thread should be locked, as the discussion is over and the policy didn't work.

21. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.