main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy on Religious Threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Padme Bra, Jun 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Ok kids, due to issues brought up by members and conversations that we the admins have been having for the past couple weeks, we've decided to re-impose the ban on religious topics in Community.

So as of today, we're closing all threads having to do with religious subject matter. We feel that at best these threads cause animosity and divisiveness among members and at worst result in all out flame wars. That is not what this forum is about and moderating these threads has become too difficult and time consuming.

Any religious topics that have to do with Star Wars (like drawing parallels between the Force and the religions of the world) will be allowed, providing they do not degenerate into the sort of religious arguments we're trying to avoid.

I can assure you that this policy is not a stepping stone to restricting other topics. I don't like telling members what they can and cannot talk about but we feel this is the exception. This policy was in effect before and I don't feel there should be any problems bringing it back. If you have any questions post them here.

2. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    what about we don't close them as such...becuase then they get lost when you see the error of your ways...I mean 'reanalyze' the situation. :)
    Its better to just post once (with your flashy colours, no problem!), and tell people not to post, under penalty of spank :)

3. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Because that would be pointless. Closing the threads ensures no one will reply and no one has to be banned. We've done it before and it worked fine.

4. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    If you say so...
    //dubious

5. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Cool.

I see the verse by verse thread has been closed too.

While it wasn't really discussion, I can see that the new policy would appear inconsistent if it remained open.

6. TrainingForUtopia

TrainingForUtopia Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 15, 2001
    I agree with LOH. I will be starting a petition to get our Bible verse by verse thread re-opened.

7. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    Hey JediWarrior, Padme Bra is right. If a new policy goes into effect, all threads are subject to policy. Good call guys.

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    What about sigs??? Can I still use the first line of mine or should I change it???

9. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Is the force a religion???!!?!?@?!?@?!?@?!?@?!@?!@?!@?!?

SELECT Rentals.BookNo, Books.Title, Rentals.DueDate, Rentals.Returned, Rentals.FinePaid, Rentals.MemberNo FROM Books, Rentals WHERE Books.BookNo = Rentals.BookNo AND (Rentals.Returned = 0) AND (Rentals.FinePaid < 0) ORDER BY Rentals.DueDate

also can anyone tell me how to declare date in this bloody thing? stupid sql piece of... it just wont let me take anything before the sysdate...

10. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    "I will be starting a petition to get our Bible verse by verse thread re-opened."

How about it just stays closed, huh? If it reopens, it may get a bit crowded in there, if you get my drift. I'' need someplace to vent ;)

I, for one, am glad to see the ban reimposed.

11. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    I realize that thread wasn't a discussion thread but there's no way I could have let that stay open and not gotten complaints about it, and with good cause. One of the goals of this policy is no make sure no one religion is represented over another.

12. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    My recent experience tells me that it is impossible to continue any sort of religious discussion without some sort of angst.

While I am opposed to blanket bans on topics, it is probably practical in these circumstances.

13. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    Eh...I'm kinda split as to whether I think this is a good idea or not.

[face_plain]

14. TrainingForUtopia

Mar 15, 2001
    "One of the goals of this policy is no make sure no one religion is represented over another."

Then let people post the Quran or Satanic Bible verse by verse if people are that offended by it. Not that those would go on for very long, since not as many people own those books...

15. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I can post from the satanic bible? sweet ass, I wish I knew that..

16. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "Then let people post the Quran or Satanic Bible verse by verse if people are that offended by it. Not that those would go on for very long, since not as many people own those books...

Not many people own the Quran?! Talk about a isolationist POV. There are over 1 billion Islamics in the world, and I bet a good portion of them own a copy. And we do have a wonderful little thing called the internet, which can provide the text for many of these lovely books.

A little background for your closeminded argument:

By the turn of the century, nearly one-quarter of the people on earth will consider themselves Muslims. Islam has exploded from 400 million adherents in 1960 to a projected 1.3 billion by the year 2000.. Islam is expanding from its traditional areas into the former Soviet Union, Europe, and North America. In fact, Islamic students today form the largest group of international students in North American universities.

1.3 billion Muslims, and about 1.7 billion Christians. How long, at that Growth rate, do you think Christians will continue to be the majority of the two?

17. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    This is too bad.

18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Um, sig lines??? What about those???

19. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Your signature is fine, Kyle.

20. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    You don't need a petition, as Bra said, if you have a problem, just state it here.

21. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    People should focus on what they have in common, not on what separates them. My view is as simple as that.

22. TrainingForUtopia

Mar 15, 2001
    I have modified my signature accordingly. [face_plain]

23. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    Well, religion now re-joins masturbation (human or animal) as one of the JC's taboo topics. I was more upset about the other one.

(trying to lighten the mood)
    :D

24. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "I have modified my signature accordingly"

Maybe you should open your mind a little. See my post above, I'd like to hear your excuse for your comment.

25. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    How very rebellious of you, TrainingForUtopia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.