main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy on Religious Threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Padme Bra, Jun 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrainingForUtopia

TrainingForUtopia Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 15, 2001
    "Once again, one bad apple spoils the bunch.

This time, you're the bad apple, TrainingForUtopia."

PPOR SithVicious. [face_plain]

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this yet or not, but I think there should really be a poll created to truly see if the majority of the users here support the re-enstatement of this rule. And next time a decision like this is going to be made, there should be a poll about it before the mods make their final decision. I know, "it's not a democracy", but at least try and satisfy the majority.

2. keiran_helcyan

keiran_helcyan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm waiting to see who shows the ambition to create the poll, however socks could become a large problem in it. :(

3. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    EU is almost universally not accepted in SA. That is not true of religion in Community. Discussion on EU has been naturally phased out of SA through member disinterest. Not true of religion in Community. Most people in SA don't care about EU. Not true of religion in Community. If a child is told that EU is not canon then he doesn't get seriously upset. Not true of religon in Community. They are completly different.

4. keiran_helcyan

Dec 13, 1999
    Good work Utopia, the poll is up. It'll be kind of interesting to see how it goes.

maybe someone should go over and tell the community, since many do not regulary stop in communications. Or would that not be allowed?

5. Shi-Bandarr

Shi-Bandarr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2000
    "One is a series of books, the other is something that people have faith in and base their life decisions around."

But that does not mean that people don't get to emotionally involved in what they are discussing. I've seen a lot of juvenile behavior on these boards and it's all the same. I've been guilty of it on occasion.( a couple of times today.) Either you cut the crap or you get spanked.

I'm just trying to make sense of this all. I personally don't get it or like it but will always do what I must to ejnoy the rest of this place.

Here's something else. Just the other day I got to emotionally involed by a comment that was made by Chyren about the mentally handicapped. I may have been to harsh in my words but I don't think so. These references tick me off completely. And it seems to be totally acceptable to call some one retarded while trying to have an intelligent conversation.

Here's where restraint on my part come's in. If someone is the juvenile and can't act like a responsible person then do something to them not everyone else.

I still think that this is avoiding the issue and not addressing it but, like I said before that is the admins perogative.

6. Demodex

Demodex Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    I'm partially glad the religious banter will stop. There are people that post here that I consider enemies; I can't stand them at all, and the only reason that I feel that way is from being attacked by them in religious threads.

On the other hand, I'll miss some good laughs like when Bible Gushers prove their ignorance of biology and science.

7. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    "If a child is told that EU is not canon then he doesn't get seriously upset."

I was with you up to that point, PB.

:D

8. TrainingForUtopia

TrainingForUtopia Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 15, 2001
    Do you consider me one of your enemies, Demodex?

9. Demodex

Apr 25, 2001
    I don't wish to name names at this point. I'd rather not be banned or cause a flame war. Let's just say that you have a very strong opposing view point that I've seen enter threads where it was totally unnecessary.

10. keiran_helcyan

Dec 13, 1999
    me for one? ;) Seriously I like it the most when "bible gushers" (?) actually use scientific fact in an attempt back up their spiritual beliefs.

11. Demodex

Apr 25, 2001
    I don't remember you from any religious threads, keiran.

12. keiran_helcyan

Dec 13, 1999
    That's suprising, I posted in most all of them. But then again, once the flaming started I was gone.

13. Demodex

Apr 25, 2001
    Hmmm, there's only a few names on either side that stuck out to me. Sorry. :/

14. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Why are some of you people getting hysterical?

Sure, getting rid of religious discussion is not necessarily a good thing. Ideally, we should be able to discuss religion and theological issues freely without the need for cencorship or sanction.

Unfortunately, the reality is that the JC *is* a privately owned message board and does not purport to reflect society's norms in microcosm.

Instead, the JC is like visiting a privately owned library or theme park. There are rules you must follow that you might not necessarily have to follow anywhere else. The underlying principle being that you either accept the entry rules or you don't enter.

There is no difference between the "Silent area - noisy offenders will be asked to leave" sign in a library and the religious ban here at the JC. Your rights have not been infringed, the Constitution has not been breached.

Please do not try and argue that your human rights have been violated because you can't talk about Jesus anymore. Just accept it and move on.

15. NovaStarslayer

NovaStarslayer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2001
    this bickering is now pointless.

edit: changed my comment to a more suitable sw one. heh.

16. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I haven't read the entire thread but I must say that, to me, this seems a rather harsh rule. This has been discussed many times and I will reiterate my point of view because I feel this is an important issue.

I myself am not religious. I do not attend any church and do not really observe any religious celebrations (other than the commercial ones that seem like a great excuse for a break from work). However, I am interested in other cultures and belief systems. The JCC is supposed to be a place where JCers can get together and talk about things "non Star Wars". There are many many JCers out there where religion/faith plays an important role in their lives and their place in their culture and society. People should not be banned from discussing things that are important to them. I have friends from various ethnic backgrounds who follow various religions. Some are die hard believers who cannot (or will not) understand others points of view. Some are more liberal and accept that the world is a big and varied place with room for more than one opinion. We often discuss religion and on a broader scale, faith. No matter how "heated" the discussion, it always remains civil and respectful of the varied POVs.

IMHO, if religious threads are a problem it is down to the maturity of certain JCers NOT the subject at hand. These are the problems that should be banned NOT the subject being discussed. There should be room for the more mature (age has nothing to do with it) members to be able to discuss matters on these boards without the fear of having their wrists slapped. Believe it or not some of us come here not just for the Star Wars but to chat to like minded individuals aswell.

I don't mean to be rude here, but if it is too much of a hassle for the adminship to moderate these subjects then let someone else do it.

17. NovaStarslayer

Mar 6, 2001
    I don't mean to be rude here, but if it is too much of a hassle for the membership to accept these rules then find a messageboard that *will* suit your needs.

edit: not trying to be sarcastic in ^that^ statement; i realize it probably sounds rude.

18. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    See you have just highlighted my point.

I was stating an opinion. A valid one at that. If it was an attempt at humour then I apoligise ;) but it is this attitude that can do damage at times.

The JCC is a place "to get to know your fellow JCers". Discussing beliefs, whether they are religious, political, cultural etc etc is an ideal way to get to know other people. The subject isn't the problem. The attitude or maturity of certain JCers is. That is the only point I am trying to make. There is room for all types of threads in the JCC, IMHO.

I don't class myself as a whinging member but I do have strong views on certain issues which I will express. I don't feel the need to find another message board because I love this place too much. I just have an issue with the "you are not allowed to discuss this subject" attitude when I know that there are a lot of level headed individuals out there who can discuss serious matters from time to time without the need to insult people who do not agree with them.

19. NovaStarslayer

Mar 6, 2001
    "See you have just highlighted my point.

I was stating an opinion. A valid one at that. If it was an attempt at humour then I apologize but it is this attitude that can do damage at times."

i wasn't trying to be funny, but i also wasn't trying to be a mean-spirited b***h either. i honestly respect your opinion... i'm just saying that, in the end, the majority of admins don't seem to be waning in their decree, and it's probably best to respect *that*.

i wasn't trying to be facetious, i really think that if people want to continue religious conversation/discussions/and/or arguments, they should look at the positives: there are tons of other forums on the net which encourage and nurture these topics.

obviously, the JC is not one of them.

ps. its not like i want people to leave in a huff, i have nothing personal against *anyone* on these boards. there just should be some kind of closure to this now-degenerated thread/topic.

20. keiran_helcyan

Dec 13, 1999
    darn. Chyren closed the poll. I somehow find this unfair, considering a majority of the Jc'ers are most likely not awake from 11:00pm-7:00am :(

21. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    The poll could never be guaranteed to be accurate because the large number of socks running around. I'm glad it's closed.

22. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    It'll be interesting to see how TrainingForUtopia responds to Chyren's ultimatum, though...

23. badday

badday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2001
    As an athiest, I could care less if religous talk is outlawed here.

As a believer in free speech, however, I think the admins have taken the 1st step down a very slippery slope.

24. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Sigh. As I said before, there's no slippery slope. No other topics will be banned.

25. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    The ban was in place once before, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.