main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy on Religious Threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Padme Bra, Jun 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Then you close those threads. Not the ones that are legit.

Example;

Close one where they mock beliefs.

Leave the ones asking for clarification on beliefs open.

See? Not hard.

Ban those that attack.

Leave those that question.

Once again...not hard!

2. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    What about the religious threads that compare Taoism and ki or chi to the force? What about the religious threads where people come here asking for prayer from their friends during hard times? What about the religious threads that were just more of a social event like the Bible Verse by Verse thread? We even had an athiest posting in it...he said he saw nothing insulting about it in the least. For those who are truly athiests it should be just as if we were discussing Snow White or another ficticious character.

Anyway, AJA, all I'm saying is that your either or mentality is destroying the diversity that made these boards great. Being able to speak with a Taoist about the similarities between Taoism and Christianity was awesome. Hearing from anyone of Hindu faith about their beliefs would be great IMHO.

What a Brave New World we live in...where diversity is feared...

3. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    You're right. I don't post in religious threads. I'm agnostic. I don't believe in a Christian God. I don't like hearing people talk about it. I feel attacked when I do.

Funny, isn't it? You'd think I'd be the first one screaming to have religious threads banned.

And yet I'm not.

And you want to know why not?

Because limiting speech just because you don't like it is the worst thing you can do!

I have NEVER nor will I EVER tolerate that.

4. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    That'd be nice, but in reality the discussion has been more along the lines of:

"Jesus saves!"

"I hate Christians."

"Anybody who believes in God is a moron."

By the way, if you even went to the trouble to read the first post in this thread, you'd realize that discussion of the religious themes of Star Wars is still permitted.

This is not the government limiting speech, it's a privately owned web site. TF.N has every right to limit speech however they feel like, and if you bothered to read the TOS when you signed up, you'd know that there are plenty of kinds of speech that are not tolerated here.

5. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Wormie2, I agree with you on some issues.

I hate tattles and posters who whine all the time and love to rat people out like if they are Lorenzo Llamas in renegade.

But, this thread is for the debate about this new policy, not whiners or tattles.

Now, I am not againts threads that disucess sex or adult topics as long as it does not gte lewd because there are many people under 17 here.

I am an older poster, but I realize this is a family forum and mnay 13 and 14 year olds are here and people under 13 who lie about their age or got parental consent as needed.

But it is a family forum. I know I myself make sexual allusions or admit that I drink and smoke the kaya from time to time. But I never started a thread about me and kaya. I learn to live with the fact it is a family forum and yes, at times it does frustrate me a good deal as expressed in some of my posts.

I will not lie about that.

But the religion issue is not just because of kids. It singles people out no matter the age and even at my age, I don;t want to hear anyone preaching to me.

Look back at the post I said about a real life club I am part of. There is a prime example. Or about observing my nephews Hebrew class. Another example.

See the point?

Now, I don;lt find the Nazi allusion insulting myself. I had familiy who had to live through that and did not make it at all.

But I found it's use in an argument or debate useless and ridiculous. Many think it means the losing of an argument.

Hell, even I, myself, have been guilty of usuing the NAzi or Hitler defense or argument or allusiion. Everybody has. I still do from time to time. But I also realize it is silly.

Example, some reporters or people compare an angry mob or a roaring loyal crowd to the crowd at a Nazi rally. Sure, he is making a comparison and sometimes, sometimes I can see why. It is a comparison after all, not calling someone a Nazi. But at the same time, it is silly.

Just like WW2 being the most overused subject in american cinema and the one topic to have more movies made about. The Nazi cliche is so oversued as well, it becomes silly.

6. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    I did read it, it's just the logic behind the whole thing that I'm attacking....there are certain rights that we have as humans and the right to freespeech is one of them...

7. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    Repost: This is not the government limiting speech, it's a privately owned web site. TF.N has every right to limit speech however they feel like, and if you bothered to read the TOS when you signed up, you'd know that there are plenty of kinds of speech that are not tolerated here.

I'm starting to get angry here, and I don't think I can post again without flaming somebody, so I'm going to end with that statement. Using free speech as an excuse for being inconsiderate to other people is nothing but self-centered intellectual dishonesty.

8. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    May Trika be allowed to say a few words...?

Oh well, too bad if you say "No.". ;)

I participated in the "KJV Bible Verse by Verse" thread, in which users were to post verse by verse, the next line of the Bible. This, in no way, was a flaming, bashing, insulting thread where people got offended. Like Wylding said, we had Christians and atheists alike posting in there. It was informative, not opinionated. There was no way in the world a person could have become offended unless the thought of me typing drove someone to slit his own wrists.

There should be certain limits, and yes, I did read terms of service, blah, blah, blah, but as for informative threads there should be no ban.

Thank you. Welcome back to your regularly scheduled program.

9. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    You're completely missing the point. Free speech does not mean free flamming ability. Mutual respect is of absolute necessity. Still, that said, this is a band aid solution to a problem that needs stitches. It's not right. I don't agree. It won't work.

10. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    It worked fine for a long time. The mods relaxed because they thought people could handle it, and they were wrong. This is the way life works in the real world. I could very well be responsible enough to be trusted with weapons-grade plutonium, but because the danger is too great, I'm not getting any, and that's all there is to.

11. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Personally, I find it one of the smartest moves they've ever made.

12. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    I'm still with Wormie...this isn't a solution, to prohibit intelligent discussion because it bores some people, and annoys others... <rolleyes.gif>

13. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    Come on. Can't any of you other mods who've been online during all this help PB out? Not that he needs it, but it'd be nice since this was a mutual decision.

14. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    No one's holding him personally responsible. I'm not. I think we'd feel a lot better if we felt that any of the admins ever listened to us. I don't know about you, but I think they live to ignore. ;)

15. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    "Excuse me, sir but does that include shutting me down, too?"
    Am I an ancient religion whose fire has gone out of the universe?
    "The Jedi Master concurs with the honorable Wormie2, Wylding, and JediWarrior."
    Banning religious threads is not a solution. I've not seen them being much of a problem above and beyond other types of threads. I've seen some where people made extreme posts pretty much "politely" flaming certain groups, but they usually saw the error of their ways or were persuaded to tone it down, and their posts did not lead to flame wars. Now on the other hand, I haven't been in that many of them in several months, but if the religious threads have started being a problem lately, that's probably due to the times rather than the nature of religious threads themselves. I have tried to act as a voice of moderation when I saw these things going on.
    tear, you personally may see the Second World War as over-used in cinema and argument, but that doesn't mean comparisons between modern events, methods, and ideas and those of fascism are completely invalid (what an understatement!). The reason the Second World War is and will continue to be such a popular topic for discussion, comparison, and cinema, is, I think, because we still have not come to terms with what happened. Many people still have a hard time understanding how the Holocaust happened, but more relevant, Amerika as a people has not come to terms with our complicity in the Holocaust, and our protection of, and collaboration with, leading Nazis after the war.
    Just my three cents.

16. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Maybe PadmeBra should put a *shudder*poll*ewwwww* in Community and put it to a vote, so you guys can see there is a consensus for it.

17. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    Yeeeeeah! Make a poll or something.

18. Phantom Will

Phantom Will Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 15, 2000
    Padme Bra asked me what my problem was in the thread in the.

I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's panties, but I think banning religious threads is a stupid idea. We cannot talk about our personal beliefs, but we can talk about religion as long as we are drawing parallels between the Force and the religions of the world.

What does that mean?

Pretty much compromising our beliefs by making them fiction, which is BS.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't consider myself religious by any means, but it's just lame to say, "No sentence with "God" in it unless "Jedi" is in it too", which is pretty much what you're saying.

Religion is an everyday thing for most of us, believe it or not, even if you're not religious. Take this for example: I live in a small very conservative town of 10,000 people. We just got a On Cue store. I happen to work there. Anyway, some stupid woman wrote in the local paper that we sell witchcraft books and are not safe for kids. How could I start this topic if I wanted to?

New Topic: Some crazy lady wants to punish our store because we sell books about witchcraft. How would a Jedi Knight handle it? (This is not a Religious thread even though it God is a key factor in the overall topic!!!!)

It's like a contract or something to make sure you're not liable, for Christ's sake (no pun intended).

If Jesus freaks want to talk about God in the forums, they should have that right, hands down. You shouldn't punish them for some tool that is angry at the world and wants to take it out on religion.

.....Just My Humble Opinion.

19. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    That might actually be the best idea I've seen posted in this thread all day, Bob.

20. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    I still think the majority of people don't care if the threads are allowed. It's only those that feel insulted by them that go whining to you about them.

21. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    quote:

"Padme Bra asked me what my problem was in the thread in the JCC and then got his internet girlfriend to fuss for him."

Uhhh...funny, I didn't say a word to you in the thread...

Actually I haven't said a word on the subject.

22. Phantom Will

Jan 15, 2000
    All, crap, My fault. I'm sorry. ....Thought it was you.

23. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Busted. :D

Gots to be careful about stuff like that. Lots of names, confusing yelping.

24. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, no polls in Community, I guess, who wants to start one in here?

25. Phantom Will

Jan 15, 2000
    Wormie said "Bust".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.