NEW possibilities for saber combat.......

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    THe guy at PlastiCare said we could order hollow polycarbonate tubes from him. Now, polycarbonate is much stronger than acrylic, and has about the same weight, so by using hollow PCN tubes, we can use the same hilts, but the weapons will be much lighter, and still be stronger than the acrylics. Cost is about twice that of acrylics, but they probably won't break under combat unless we go hog-wild and try to destroy them! Keep in mind, too, that we could roll a piece of EL tape into the hollow rod, run wiring/electronics thru the hilt, and light them up!
  2. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    I'd be interested to see what kind of ideas Terry might have for lighting up a hollow tube as well. Besides, we could use those for our little saber ballet for the big show.
  3. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    good call jenn that would really add to the effect of the saber fights we hope to show of with.
  4. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Another option is to mount a slender rod of acrylic within the hollow tube of polycarbonate, and wrap the acrylic with the EL wire I used for my sword....that would be good since it uses very little power.
  5. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think we could do some testing to see if we can cheaply do the elwire wraped around an acrylic blade slide it inside of one of these polycarbonate tubes to protect the wire. and also see if we can skimp by spacing the EL wire about an inch or two apart to cut down on costs and still lighting up the blades.
  6. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    We need to remember that we probably want at least 3 different colors (for the effect). Can we do that w/ the EL tape?
  7. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    It's one of those deals where if yu want it to look good, just do the full wrap...the life of the wire will more than pay for itself in enjoyment.....FLOL! And I'm sure I casn get us a great deal from GLOWIRE because of my purchases on the suit.
  8. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i remember you saying like a buck a foot and it took like 100 feet for your saber. so basicaly I'm looking at at least two hundred dollars for my blade? with out the cost of the hilt or actual blades , I dont know if I can afford that
  9. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Chunk, that was for the GloWire, not the EL tape.
  10. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    oh ok I dont want to have to pay that much to light my blade.

speeking of blades. hey jeff when you want to hook up so i can show you what I want my hilt to look like?
  11. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    If yu use wire, it's brighter for a given power source, but if it shears, it's all over. Cost is about the same for a given area of coverage, but the EL tape is not as bright, and requires at least twice the power....although damaged areas are the only ones affected, and the tape continues to illuminate everywhere else, and it can be cut to form. Both would have to be encased for combat.
  12. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    That's why I want to see what kind of ideas Terry has for this new development. Sometimes he has an interesting alternate viewpoint.
  13. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    How long before we hear what he's cooked up?
  14. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Not sure, I know he's been on a lot of trips lately. He might be out of town. Has anyone heard from him?
  15. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I thought yu were the one trippin'?! FLOL!!!!
  16. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Thanks, Tim, that reminds me, I need to take another pill. Nighty, night.
  17. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well sice we are on the subject, today I went to home depot and purchased most of the parts for my sabers :D And I've gotten them all cut a spraypainted tonight, all I need to do is finish the grip and I'm done... oh and find something that will hold a blade in. :)
  18. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    thats the only thing that i am having a problem with too . kims was easy .

if i start getting aluminum for sabers , i'll let you guys in on all of the info . i might have time to go look tomorow .
  19. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think I am going to get a small piece of foam and line the inside of the saber then at the top have a screw that will hold it in. That should work.
  20. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    JGoC - That's not a bad idea, but don't forget to use at least 2 screws (3 is best), because 1 just isn't enough.
  21. Jedi_Pilot Force Ghost

star 4
    DH- If your going to Alreco you probably want to look at 1" to 1-1/2" O.D. tube with at least an 1/8" wall. Of course this depends on if your want to put threads in the tube for securing rings and grips and such.

ZOO & Kit- right now I can't think of a better way to light a PCN tube.
  22. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    HE LIVES!!!! Yea, I had to modify my static galvanized steel hilt to hold a blade, but it sure is cheap! I got an idea.....anybody got a 72" lathe???? FLOL!
  23. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    sweet hilt sarah ! all you need now is a blade .

well , i went to alreco today and found out that the guy that makes the CF hilts most likley works at a machine shop . the sizes of pipe dont exist without a lathe and some other cool stuff . i did get a few feet of aluminum pipe . i'll see what i can do and let everyone know what i find out .

my goal here is to make some high quality weapons and not get ripped off but some guy in BFE . the material to make my hilt was about $10 . i paid $65 . i understand the labor part , but i think i do can do just as good .
  24. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I'm tellin ya...fer just combattin', yu can't beat a length of 1" galvanized piping with some end caps cut to form......I'm workin' on a light staff with seperate grip sectionals as we speak....!
  25. Jedi_Pilot Force Ghost

star 4
    DH- The lathe at my office has about a 30 inch bed and is good at cutting aluminum. Let me check some of our catalogs, cause I'm sure we can get Al tube in the right sizes.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.