main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New possible rule for NS -- discussion!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mr. P, Jun 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random_trooper

random_trooper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2000
    Once again I have to ask, why not put responsibility on us??? Put a disclaimer saying something like: "Everyone has their own opinion of what a spoiler is and we're trying our best, but no place is 100% safe" and be done with it.

2. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Silly rabbit, people don't like to take responsibility for themselves, they like to push the envelope as far as it can possibly go, and then complain when they cross the line, even if warnings were posted (as in that one thread on the 1st page here).

3. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    "The way that it would work would be that the snowboards software itself would only allow admins to post threads. Nobody who wasn't an admin could post a thread in this particular forum."

Then it might work. I didn't know Snowboard would allow that.

"The way that I would work it (and the way I would expect other admins who got PMed to post threads to work it ) would be that whoever wanted me to post the thread would PM me the exact title and opening post they wanted me to post. I would post the thread with the exact title they gave me with the exact post they gave me, noting at the beginning of the post who was the one who wrote the post."

Are all the admins going to handle this, or just you and Sots? One problem I see is time. With all your other duties, how long are members going to have to wait before their topic gets posted? It might seem a petty complaint, but it's going to be a pain submitting a thread, then having to check to see whether it's up, PMing the admin to see if they got it or not, when they'll get it up... Do you all really want that extra hassle? Are the other admins going to be as involved as you two with helping out? This forum has always seemed like the red-headed stepchild of the JC. When Mara was on vacation only one or two admins checked in on the place. It was one of the most chaotic times I've seen here.

"At the rate he's going, I don't trust him very much in that."

Then why wait for the trailer? If you don't have faith in Lucas so far in what he's released, why would you expect him to hold back on the trailer?

Like you said, it comes down to personal preference. I'm not trying to just bash your idea, Mr. P, I just think there should be some kind of compromise that would satisfy both sides.

4. random_trooper

Dec 1, 2000
    ah yes...a dreamer am I.

Oh well, if the mods want to drive themselves crazy trying to please everyone, more power to them.

Good luck folks...

5. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    In answer to your question, hew, I've offered to help out here if needed, especially since (I believe) the NSA admins wish to remain unspoiled themselves and that makes some of their required duties unrealistic. It is too late for me, my son. :p So I and others can handle the things that require dealing with spoiler info, including handling topic requests.

6. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, it would be unrealistic for me and SotS to be the only ones to handle topic requests... when we get to a few months before the movie comes out anyway, I won't exactly have all the time in the world, between studying for my SATs, AP exams, my finals (including my big calculus exam :(), etc.

Anyway, most of the admins should be able to help (I suppose/hope). This forum will probably have the most trolls when as get closer and closer to the release.

--Mr. P :cool:

7. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    In respect to Mr.P and the NS members, anything that is released in regards to EpII, is itself, a spoiler - whether it be Official or not. Therefore, no one is ever going to remain Spoiler Free unless they leave the EpII forums altogether.

If you started to take away Official sources, you are eventually just going to have another Community/Misc forum.

The idea of only discussing information posted from Official sources should help generate better discussions in the NS forum rather than the standard 'wow' threads that are apparent in the PSA. That is one of the reasons I have signed up to be Spoiler Free for EpIII. Sticking to Official sources SHOULD give NS members a larger range of ideas, material and discussion to work with.

If you are indeed keeping information limited to Official sources, then you will not be totally spoilt when the trailers comes out. The idea of a teaser trailer is exactly what it is labeled - a teaser - something to get you excited and sell you a story idea without outlying the entire plot.

I doubt GL is going to release everything about EpII to the public - he simply doesn't work that way and goes to great lengths to stop it. He is slowly releasing pieces of a puzzle, but the only way you are going to see the whole puzzle, is to see the movie.

I firmly suggest that you keep the Official Info alive and bail out if it gets too much for you.

Ternian

8. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    I should also be around to help.
    The closer we'll get to Ep II release, the more spoiler-free I'll try to be.

Even now, I've stepped back from all the spoilers on TFN itself.

9. random_trooper

Dec 1, 2000
    hmmm, this is sounding like more of a definate than a possibility...more an announcement than a discussion....what have you folks decided on?

10. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    if people are against it, we'd try and find another solution.

We're just telling you guys that yes, it can be done. Doesnt mean it will be done

11. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well Mr.P thought of it and he's gone for a while so it's up to the other NA admins. Any policy they enact will only be meant to help you guys so if you don't want it I'm sure they won't implement it.

They could just do nothing and tell you to take your chances but they're trying to satisfy as many of you non-spoiled kooks as they can. ;)

12. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    I like the idea of submitting threads through the admins *unless* there's some way to completely delete or edit (not just lock) offensive threads with spoilers in the subject titles. Even then, some folks would still get spoiled when it initially appears, but at least that way the damage would be minimized...

13. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    Making the topics admin-only is workable but will require patience on both sides: The admins will have to try their best to get them up in a timely manner but the regular forum members will also have to understand that they have other duties that are more important and might not be able to post their topics as soon as they'd like.

Mr.P and SOTS, if you decide on an Official Site cutoff date, include Padmé and maybe some of the other mods in more of the 'what is a spoiler' discussions so they know how to properly filter the news from the OS.

If Padmé comes across something that straddles the line, then he could come to one of you two to ask. (You may get slightly spoiled, but think of it as just 'taking one for the team.')

14. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Since the trailers are now out, is anything going to change here?

15. Mr. P

Apr 1, 2000
    It depends on if people want change. I personally feel that we should go to the admin-only topic thing, now... it would at least help out a little with trolls...

--Mr. P

16. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I personally feel that we should go to the admin-only topic thing, now.

I think your evil laugh and clasped hands gives your sinister plot away P. :p

17. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    I don't check the OS unless its for a trailer. I don't read Insider. I don't read any article pertaining to Ep. II. I don't even read Internet stuff! All I know is from the board, which spoiled the name of the new Sith lord (damn you whoever posted that thread!)

1) Review the material you want to post.

That's an obvious complaint I have with people. Just review it first, then don't say anything about it in the title of the thread.

18. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    I think certain measures should be taken so that the folks here don't have things spoiled for them, and have everything ruined so late in the game after they've managed to stay spoiler free for so long.

However, things like admin only topics, and some of the other suggestions made in the initial post by Mr. P would be going way too far, IMO.

19. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    This is getting silly, just plain silly! The whole point of these non-spoiler threads is that eventually they will not be needed after the movie comes out; as AotC comes out the only need for non-spoiler threads will be about Episode III. What... do you expect us to not talk about anything after AotC comes out until everyone (or just Mr. P) sees the movie. And the idea of only allowing Admins to post topics is something out of THX1138, it's downright Hitler-esque! I have respect for Force.net, but if things get this restrictive, I'll just go to the community chatroom on StarWars.com where freedom of speech is still allowed. I've remained non-spoiled, only getting information from official sources, anyone who thinks that's not good enough is living with their head in the sand.

EDIT: How about this for a solution: have the non-spoiler section topics include a "spoiler-rating." Say...anything before "Breathing" level 1, before "Forbidden Love" level 2, a couple months before Celebration II level 5. That way those who don't want ANY INFORMATION can be their own judge of what is acceptable. While those of us who gradually want to learn more as the movie gets closer and trust Lucasfilm and "Insider" won't give too much will be able to speak freely. And Mr P doesn't have another power trip about what we can and can't discuss.

20. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I totally agree with you, Mr. P! :)

I guess it would be okay to discuss "official spoilers" in this forum, but I do wish people would leave spoiler space for those of us who don't want to know anything about characters or "the new Sith" and all that. I have been trying to stay away from this board because I have read different things I didn't want to know about, official or not...

21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I think it's time to do something for the HCSF fans. I don't visit sw.com anymore, I just happened to go in there some week ago and directly got a piece of information that I really don't want to know.

I think the idea of declaring everything spoilers from a certain date is the best.

22. Mr. P

Apr 1, 2000
    What Obi-Anne said. I myself am considering going HCSF ("Hard-Core Spoiler Forum", the "forum" part is just a term ;)), which pretty much means, no official information either, just pure speculation (which of course, one can do), and am actually becoming afraid of coming to this forum. I personally feel that if we should go with the admin-only topics... you'd just have to PM them to me or any other mod.

And I think that, if we can't decide, perhaps it's time for a split: a HCSF, and an OSF ("official spoiler forum").

--Mr. P

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Personally I think that would be a great idea, P.

24. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    What is so bad about a few spoilers. I mean some things I don't want to know but if it is from a offical site I will take it. It is not fair for all the hardcore spoiler fans to tell us what can and cannot be discussed. I mean I don't think it is right to chage what is called a spoiler or not. I can make up my own mind about that, and if you don't like that then live with it! Because we have to live with YOU!! :mad:

25. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    We are on a forum with a lot of members, we need some kind of rules for what's a spoiler or not, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.