main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends NEW POST 12/11 ! IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE--AU of the EU Part 5, "To the marriage of true minds"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Nov 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I thought it was similar to Naboo. I only read a little about Alderan in the Starwars Factfiles.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I like alderaan because so much is left to be imagined of its people, politics, and customs, as well as location. All we get out of the myriad things written is "Um, yeah, they liked peace."

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I like alderaan because so much is left to be imagined of its people, politics, and customs, as well as location. All we get out of the myriad things written is "Um, yeah, they liked peace."

lol! yeah, alderaan seems like a good place to write about, as it gives you so much leeway for fics :)

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, that's like my fetish with the beginnings of the Republic. We know it has "Stood for a thousand years" and there "hasn't been a full-scale war since the start of the Republic." I like VAGUE!

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    "It seems she has been dealt a hard lot in life."

//Hard, no,// the Force chuckled. //Necessary, yes. She may not want to be a warrior, but she is one of the strongest fighters that serves us. And she stands tall, a strength to those she leads, but she is never alone.//

Qui-Gon's head shook slowly, not sure whether to be heartbroken or heartened by that statement. "I doubt she would have agreed with you in that observation gallery," he countered.

//Luke found her a few days later.//

"Luke," he repeated, mind flashing back to Obi-Wan's stories of his last days. "Anakin's child."

//As is she,// it confirmed. //She lost everything at Alderaan, but she gained what she needed to restore justice.//

An image flashed past, three friends embracing in a hangar as pandemonium took over, oblivious to anything except their own triumph.

"I knew there was more to you than money," she was saying to an older man.

His eyebrow quirked and a stream of images of the same man, riding into the night as a blizzard raged, bursting into what looked like a command center to insist upon ehr escape, a fervent kiss before enemy forces pulled him away in a darkened chamber, another shared embrace in a celebration around a bonfire as an artificial nova blazed in the skies above.

"You sent her a boyfriend to win the war?" he observed incredulously. "I suppose I should be grateful that I never was subjected to that will of the Force."

A ripple of amusement. //He was there to perform many acts in our service, to help the balance come to be. The fact that she fell in love with the child is another matter entirely.//

Then another assault of images. They moved to quickly for him to register them all, but one true thing remained.

"She went through all of that for the sake of Luke and never realized he shared her heart?"

//She always knew. She just didn't pay enough attention.//

"His transport is due in seventeen minutes," Leia said hurriedly from behind a stack of datacards. "If I manage to get out of here in the next three minutes, we can, traffic permitting, arrive there in plenty of time."

Han could hear his girlfriend's scuffle of preoccupation, the impatient sighs she was letting escape, but knew that even if he tried to help, it wouldn't do her any good. Leia was always one to take on a lot of responsibility, but to hoard it until everything was done to the best of anyone's abilities. Mostly because she was too worried that no one else had those abilities.

Right now, she was flaunting her uncanny ability to drive him nuts with her fussing.

"You have two minutes flat," Han interjected helpfully. "What are you looking for?"

"The details on the briefing for the Hapan mission," she mumbled. "Mon wanted me to be ready to ship out within five days and if I don't get started..."

Han laughed, palming the door open. "You've got five days and nothing to worry about."

"I've got five days, sixty-three worlds, and a mountain of paperwork," Leia countered. "Have you ever tried drafting a preliminary treaty with a matriarchal, isolationist world capable of blowing half the fleet out of space with one of their snubfighters?"

He didn't answer, only reached across the interfering chair to draw her into a gentle embrace. She sighed, sagging against him, and in the next moment he hauled her bodily over it, removing all obstacles to her departure.

"Come on, sweetheart," he wheedled. "I have more information on the Hapans than the entire Intelligence Division combined. I'll tell you some fascinating stories on the way there."
    They arrived the moment the landing gear of the transport made contact with the pad. Leia grumbled something about "early is on time, on time is late, late is unacceptable", but her eyes were riveted on the lowering ramp.

Five months. It had been five months since Luke's squadron had been sent to a mid-rim world on a routine rescue mission for a world not yet allied with the "New Republic." Instead, they found themselves in a massive bloc

6. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    cute. Luke married before Leia? I think we would have all lost money on that bet :p neat to see han and leia as boyfriend/girlfriend though. Liked qui gons dialog with the force too.

//She always knew. She just didn't pay enough attention.//

interesting insight :D

good stuff! :)

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    //she always knew. she just didn't pay attention.//

my mom asked me after i had seen all three movies for the first time if anything had really surprised me. i said, 'yes, vader being luke's father and luke going nuts when vader threatened leia.' 'what about them being related?' 'no, of course not. if she paid attention, she would have realized it long before then.' that's where that comes from.

i stole luke/mara from the movie, couldn't resist.

8. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I like the idea of having Qui-Gon in the background.

Good Description and characterisation:

She may not want to be a warrior, but she is one of the strongest fighters that serves us. And she stands tall, a strength to those she leads, but she is never alone.

Her eyes raised to find him at the top of the ramp, clothes hanging off his diminished form, hair grown shaggy around the slight beard he had developed, and his face almost as old as she had recognized after the second Death Star had been destroyed.

His eyebrow quirked and a stream of images of the same man, riding into the night as a blizzard raged, bursting into what looked like a command center to insist upon her escape, a fervent kiss before enemy forces pulled him away in a darkened chamber, another shared embrace in a celebration around a bonfire as an artificial nova blazed in the skies above.

This was very poetic indeed. I liked the way the words fervent kiss contrasted with enemy forces, and the colour imagery you portrayed in the words darkened chamber and bonfire and artificial nova.

"Have you ever tried drafting a preliminary treaty with a matriarchal, isolationist world capable of blowing half the fleet out of space with one of their snubfighters?"??..??.hmm, challenging indeed.

It had been five months since Luke's squadron had been sent to a mid-rim world on a routine rescue mission for a world not yet allied with the "New Republic." Instead, they found themselves in a massive blockade situation, unable to get out and with more civilian casualties than they could afford????????.I liked this. A typical mission that took place in this particular era of the starwars story. And it was made realistic with the civilian casualties references because this isn?t seen much in the movies.

"I've been waiting," Han admitted. "But I want to move. I want to be introducing you as my wife for decades to come."

She looked away, not believing. "Yes, but when do you want those decades to start?"

"As soon as you tell me if you'll marry me."

Finally, a smile, albeit a very small one. "If that's a question, the answer is yes."

Awesome dialogue. Typical Han attitude. Reminded me of the dialogue in Braveheart:

William: Of course, running a farm is a lot of work, but that will all
    change when my sons arrive.

Murron: So, you've got children?

William: Oh not yet, but I was hoping that you could help me with
    that.

Murron: So you want me to marry you, then?

William: Well, that's a bit sudden but alright.

Murron: Is that what you call a proposal?

William: I love you. Always have. I want to marry you.

Hope to learn more about Mara with this tale, because I don?t know much about her except that she once served the Emperor.

A familiar ache entered his heart, the insecurity and indecision that had first plagued him the night Luke left Endor to face Vader???.ah. The shadows of Vader loom still. Good! :D

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I intend to use mara in this story. i'm glad you liked the dialogue and other stuff. thanks for reading.

10. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I just started reading this, but I really like the fact that you are writing it with Leia in the role of George Bailey. I also like the fact that Qui-Gon is playing the role of the Clarence the Angel. He will finally get the chance to make sure one Skywalker turns out right. Can't wait to read more. :)

11. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Can't believe that I missed a post. It sneaked by me somehow. So sorry I'm late.

I love part 3. its great.

You know the strange thing is I just bought the DVD version of the movie just last night.

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    They had wanted the ceremony to be small, intimate, but as she was the last High Princess of Alderaan, he a Hero of the Rebellion, and Mon Mothma very persuasive, they were wheedled into thinking that a horrifically public affair would be good for the Republic.

"I don't want it to be good for the Republic," Leia whined. "I want it to be my day, not a strategic maneuver. I grew up in the Rebellion. I don't want it to be the rest of my life as well."

But in the end, it was a mixture of her conscience and her fiance that convinced her to play by the Republic's rules, but it was still to her making.

That day, she did not notice the three thousand guests or fully-catered reception. She did not count the number of Senators present, the stack of gifts, or even the number of dances they were granted before the long night was over. This day was for her favorite boys.

Luke, with his customary flair for finding the potential disaster in every situation, managed to arrive at the Aldereenian consulate on time, but had kept them waiting for thirty minutes before he showed up, just in time for the vows. Mara had taken care of the customary scolding, but Leia was just relieved to have her brother at her side.

Her only other concern was the man she would be spending her life with.

He made it through the day with a few wisecracks and even more whispered sessions of unabashed flattery, but he had a bemused, slightly dazed grin plastered on the entire time, as though he wasn't really sure this was happening.

She knew exactly how he felt.

13. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    :eek: nice post! a wedding :) Good work, DarthIshtar, but short :p

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    yup, long one coming tonight.

15. Vorquellyn

Vorquellyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    *worship, worship*
    and have been since I read the other half

16. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Good post! We can already see how the New Republic will start to control Leia's life. Inevitable, but sad. We get a longer post soon? Cool!

17. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    The wedding post was lovely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.