main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends New post 8/8--WAYWARD BEINGS--Qui-Gon's first apprentice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Apparently, trust had a wide range of uses.

I really liked this line.

I hadn't even thought about how much mental stress being in a mine would cause Keme, but it makes a whole lot of sense - I mean, I certainly wouldn't enjoy it, and don't have any kind of traumatic history involving tunnels.

And I liked the made up words too.

And as always, I love the dynamic of Keme and Qui's relationship.

=D=

EDIT: Because I can never get markup codes right the first time! o_O

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    karebear214--Apparently, trust had a wide range of uses.

I really liked this line.

Me too.

I hadn't even thought about how much mental stress being in a mine would cause Keme, but it makes a whole lot of sense - I mean, I certainly wouldn't enjoy it, and don't have any kind of traumatic history involving tunnels.

Something that Ophelia said in her introduction to the history of Keme really struck me. She kept mentioning a fear of the dark that was used at various points against her, including in the Trials, and I thought that there would be a certain level of panic associated with confined, dark spaces as we saw when she first arrived at the Temple.

And I liked the made up words too.

I want to work up an official Taiald language, with specific conjugational rules, syntax things, etc. I follow the same guidelines when writing it, so it's pretty close to being official for me, but I need to have it more structured, so I'm not going back to other stories to make sure that I have the right conjugations.

And as always, I love the dynamic of Keme and Qui's relationship.

Yeah, thanks!

EDIT: Because I can never get markup codes right the first time!

Me either!

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry, all. I've had about 100 personal crises this last week and they're still going on somewhat, so I haven't been able to write on any of my stories at all. I feel so useless on top of everything else.

5. Lady_Mariana

Lady_Mariana Jedi Master

Jan 2, 2004
    Take your time to recover. I'll be waiting.

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'll be home on tuesday and probably post soon after that.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, I'm home, but in the middle of messy legal stuff, not to mention being the victim of writer's block...

Upping this so Ophelia the Great can find it. (She says it's an excusable excuse to shamelessly self-promote this time.)

8. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
    Just upping this so people don't forget about it.

Hope your legal stuff cleans up soon.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The papers should be served today. As soon as they're served, we're having an "independence day" party and eating the top of the wedding cake (the messy legal stuff is ending my abusive marriage).

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, if anyone's still interested, my writer's block for this story has finally abated, so I will be writing on this in the next day or so.

11. Lady_Mariana

Lady_Mariana Jedi Master

Jan 2, 2004
    I'm still interested.

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Cool beans. :)

13. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
  14. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Ish, writer's block off, yet? :)

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, but DRL block is on, as everyone's graduating moving out, moving in, or being a major pain in the butt this week!

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    They managed to find her way back just before evening meal, having ascertained that it was, at least, the correct composition for a saber crystal. Whether there were any unforeseen flaws in the crystal itself was yet to be seen.

"There's the impatient way to find out," Qui-Gon observed.

"Which is?"

"We'll swap it with my crystal and see if it self-destructs," he explained mildly. "If that happens, we'll just have to try again."

Easy for you to say.

She extended the hand clutching the multi-faceted crystal, but he shook his head. "The saber has to cool down before we can risk dismantling it. We'll have it ready for testing before we return to our quarters."

Another test of patience, undoubtedly.

He squinted into the gathering darkness before indicating a set of approaching headlights. "That will be our ride, of course."

The driver greeted them in Basic, a welcome change from having to stammer through their rudimentary Taiald, and they were soon on their way back to Tuthane.

"You haven't told me," Kemé reminded, "about how you found your crystal."

"Nothing so dramatic," he responded with a smile. "Most Padawans take saber-construction classes when they're eighteen. I was no exception and we went on an expedition to a place in the Manarai Mountains that is known for the purity of the materials there. I meditated until I could see the section of the cave that I needed to use."

She shrugged. "It's just as dramatic as mine, if you ignore the fact that I got a free vacation out of the task."

"Something like that," he agreed.

The sun was finally sinking below the horizon when he stopped outside the hostel to carefully swap the crystals.

"Nearly the same," he observed, comparing the two in his right hand. "We'll have to see what color the refraction yields."

"Don't get technical on me," she commanded. "I just want to see the pretty colors."

He muttered something in affectionate disgust about her fascination with shiny things, but obediently thumbed the switch.

For a long moment, they simply stared at the hazy blade, a kind of buttery yellow.

"The color of fashion," Kemé sighed.

"Fidelity," Qui-Gon corrected. "I think it fits pretty well."

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry for the short post, but it's hard to get back into the flow of this at the moment. Next post will be much better.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, if no one's interested, i'll start posting this somewhere else.

21. KSkywalker

KSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    No! Finish it here please!

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Only if you tell me what was good about the post!

23. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
    I wonder how I managed to completely miss this post... Anyway, please continue this story right here. And... the post was good because of the last line. And because of shiny things

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks. Ophelia has a cute part of FFD about Obi/Keme arguing about what the yellow/amber color means.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'll be updating this tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.