main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends New post 8/8--WAYWARD BEINGS--Qui-Gon's first apprentice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
  2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    When Isara had been dismissed, Republic Welfare Services had sent a quiet, golden-haired young woman to fill the position. She was compassionate, but would not tolerate someone interfering with her duties.

And she was, to make matters even better, a Jedi Knight.

Eeexcellent. They have an ace-in-the-hole. :cool:

"Watch your temper," he warned. "We don't want to give them another excuse to take things into their own hands."

I could hear Qui-Gon saying this--and I like the fact that he's got some of that "stern Master" quality even this early in his career. It provides a nice sense of transition, better than, say, giving all the characters bad 70's haircuts. ;)

When all you've got is nothing, there's a lot to go around, was his creche mistress' favorite saying.

Hey, I like this expression too! I may steal it. [face_devil]

"They know I'm scared of the dark," she squeaked around a very tight throat, "so they don't let me come back very often. They won't tell me when the workday stops, so I just keep working until someone comes to tell me it's safe. I'm scared to sleep here, but they close the tunnel when everyone's gone and I can't get back."

His throat tightened, then burned as if he were about to be violently ill, but bracing himself so he wouldn't do it. It was all he could do not to mimick Saria and start screaming at whoever would listen.

"Do you have a friend there who can help you?"

"She died."

:_| Ohhh! Understatement like that always unglues me. I imagine that being alone in the dark is her worst fear, too.

"That's the point," he reminded. "I will make her a permanent fixture even if I have to do it illegally."

Heh, Mr. Rebel-with-a-cause. :cool:

"I've seen it in your eyes every time you talk about her, every time you spend your life's savings to make her feel at home."

Qui-Gon spent his life-savings on a mattress? Man, the Jedi need a labor union or something.

she plastered herself against his legs, arms reaching around.

Cute image--they do that, don't they? I've heard kids who do that called "Klingons." ;)

It would be unbecoming a Jedi to take that to mean her improved health had something to do with the prospect of seeing him, but he allowed the selfish thought a moment's pause anyway.

Ooh, such flinty self-denial. This *is* the guy who trained Obi-Wan, isn't he!

"Snogging," he snorted, hands covering Kemé's ears. "I don't know where you pick up such language, but I'd ask you to keep your lies and your vulgarity to yourself."

LOL! That's the last thing Qui-Gon needs . . . for Kemé to pick up a new "favorite word:" "Hey Kaigon, what's 'snogging?' What's 'snogging,' Kaigon, huh?"

He'd taken her to the nearby Senate Arboretum, a recent addition to Coruscant that had quickly become one of his favorite haunts. Amid all the commercial bustle and political maneuverings, it was built in a high tower where the transparisteel ceiling afforded a clear view all the way to the sky. They'd gone to a stand of trees from Ithor and sat in companionable silence, a kind of informal meditation until her nerves calmed and they were able to return to the courtroom just in time to hear the key witness called.

I liked this section--the nice visual of this wooded area in the middle of the city-planet, and the idea that Kemé kind of naturally picks up the skill of meditation by sitting near Qui-Gon while he does it--sort of like a baby duck following its mother into the water.

::reads over that last analogy:: When did Qui-Gon become a mother duck? :confused:

And no one had suspected until she took the stand that she was actually a Padawan, sent by the Jedi to facilitate the takedown of the Melkork facility.

Whoa--hard core! That's one tough kid. I hope the Jedi Order is careful in which wee 'uns they pick for those kinds of assignments.

"They were neglecting her," she reported. "Because she had been looked after by the Jedi, they

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Perhaps that will be the prize for the SUmmer Angst Awards!

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    And Arin_Atona's a guy, very much a guy. Will respond to your ramblings in a moment.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ophelia--And she was, to make matters even better, a Jedi Knight.

Eeexcellent. They have an ace-in-the-hole.

Maybe I'm giving them too many advantages, but I always thought the Jedi could be rather sneaky in my own mind, so I have them doing this sort of thing.

I could hear Qui-Gon saying this--and I like the fact that he's got some of that "stern Master" quality even this early in his career. It provides a nice sense of transition, better than, say, giving all the characters bad 70's haircuts.

Oh, oh, oh! I want Mace with a 'fro!

When all you've got is nothing, there's a lot to go around, was his creche mistress' favorite saying.

Hey, I like this expression too! I may steal it.

Steal it from the thief...

"Do you have a friend there who can help you?"

"She died."

Ohhh! Understatement like that always unglues me. I imagine that being alone in the dark is her worst fear, too.

I remembered you mentioning her facing that fear in her Trials and decided to make it an early-established thing.

Qui-Gon spent his life-savings on a mattress? Man, the Jedi need a labor union or something.

Come on, they're the intergalactic non-profit organization. Of course he's saved up something, but the Temple provides for most everything.

Cute image--they do that, don't they? I've heard kids who do that called "Klingons."

My nephew is one. He Klings-on very hard.

It would be unbecoming a Jedi to take that to mean her improved health had something to do with the prospect of seeing him, but he allowed the selfish thought a moment's pause anyway.

Ooh, such flinty self-denial. This *is* the guy who trained Obi-Wan, isn't he!

Lol, yup.

"Snogging," he snorted, hands covering Kemé's ears. "I don't know where you pick up such language, but I'd ask you to keep your lies and your vulgarity to yourself."

LOL! That's the last thing Qui-Gon needs . . . for Kemé to pick up a new "favorite word:" "Hey Kaigon, what's 'snogging?' What's 'snogging,' Kaigon, huh?"

I expect she'd learn what it really was from Bucky and the Starboys. ;)

I liked this section--the nice visual of this wooded area in the middle of the city-planet, and the idea that Kemé kind of naturally picks up the skill of meditation by sitting near Qui-Gon while he does it--sort of like a baby duck following its mother into the water.

::reads over that last analogy:: When did Qui-Gon become a mother duck?

The Senate Arboretum is my favorite creation, better than some of my OCs, because it's that oasis, something unconventional. And kaigon's a mommy?

And no one had suspected until she took the stand that she was actually a Padawan, sent by the Jedi to facilitate the takedown of the Melkork facility.

Whoa--hard core! That's one tough kid. I hope the Jedi Order is careful in which wee 'uns they pick for those kinds of assignments.

That's one of those "the force had BETTER be with us or I'll beat master yoda senseless with his own stick!" things.

I think they hoped to rid themselves of Republic entanglements by killing the evidence.

I like the understated, indirect way she conveys the Hutts' brutal intentions, as well as the ironic twist on "Imperial entanglements."

I just love anything to do with "entanglements."

She was too young to know words like "reprehensible" by anything but experience

Ouch! That just sounds painful. Poor, bewildered little thing . . .

But at leas the poor, bewildered little thing gets the opposite from Kaigon.

You know, when I first read that over, I thought it said something about a "Sith Lord."

It's really for the best that my church doesn't use the King James version of the Bible, or there would be Sith Lords everywhere.

I have enough trouble keeping my mind off Star Wars in church. I'll be sitting there, listening to the speaker and thinking, "ooh, this would make a great philosophy for my story!" or "Man, this is boring. I'm going to plot my dialogue for this

6. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Also--Ish, you really killed off Arin_Atona in a fic, and she's happy about it?

Being killed I can handle... but don't call me a girl ;)

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Gives arin a big, pink hug.::

8. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    We had two animators in my congregation and they came back going, "You gotta see it. The Red sea...you just gotta sea it." So I did.

Oh, the Red Sea was incredible - it looked so real. :eek: My favorite part of the movie, actually (one of many :p), is just after it collapses again, with them safely on the other side. They just all look so stunned, so relieved, and then a tiny, breathy whisper of the opening strains of "Deliver Us" start up, and Mariam hugs Aaron... [face_love] [face_love]

And "congregation"? You wouldn't happen to be a Witness, would you? No... that would be too eerie.

On to your update! [face_mischief]

I loved it, of course. [face_love] I can't get over how wonderful Qui-Gon is with Kemé - for reasons of my own, well-written father figures occupy a special place in my heart, and with him, I almost want to cry every time I read about it - but in a good way.

Qui-gon finally set her down unwillingly, recognizing that it was easier to talk when you didn't have a few kilos choking the life out of you. "I like a girl with determination."

Oh, this made me laugh. [face_laugh] Especially that last, "I like a girl with determination." So Qui-Gon. ;) And Kemé definitely has that, with all she's been through and fought against. Brave little girl. :( She's one of those "resilient children".

*laughs!* "Liar! Liar! Lies, lies, lies - it's all a pack of lies!" Oh, sure, Qui-Gon - we believe you. [face_mischief]

"Inside," Ler repeated. "You haven't mentioned that before. Surely you're not putting Kemé on the stand..."

I'm glad they didn't - it shows that they really do care about Kemé, and aren't just using her to achieve their own ends.

He spoke spitefully of the Jedi's cradle-robbing, their attempts to separate Waqkemé Noori from the only family she had left, and had glowered at the girl in question for the entire time.

... unlike their opponents. :mad:

Ah, there we go - the Council was actually on top of this one.

It was Qui-Gon's experience that judges rarely showed the verdict on their faces, but this was the one exception. If the revulsion and outright anger that creased her brow were any indication, there was nothing to fear.

Qui-Gon's right - it says something when a judge is moved this way. It's nice to know they aren't all made of stone. o_O

"Based on the evidence," she began with all the warmth of a Hoth midnight

*grins* Loved that metaphor. [face_mischief]

She was too young to know words like "reprehensible" by anything but experience, but the result of being with "Kaigon" was clear enough.

It was all that mattered now.

Oh, I'm so glad. :( A happy ending, at least for now. [face_love] But knowing you, the quiet serenity won't last long. [face_devil]

For freedom. For justice. Viva la Rebellion.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    And "congregation"? You wouldn't happen to be a Witness, would you? No... that would be too eerie.

No, we call them wards in the Mormon faith, but then I always get cracks about belonging in a psychiatric ward.

I loved it, of course. I can't get over how wonderful Qui-Gon is with Kemé - for reasons of my own, well-written father figures occupy a special place in my heart, and with him, I almost want to cry every time I read about it - but in a good way.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I've been the type to wait and hope for a caring father figure and writing it seems more like it's possible.

Oh, this made me laugh. Especially that last, "I like a girl with determination." So Qui-Gon. And Kemé definitely has that, with all she's been through and fought against. Brave little girl. She's one of those "resilient children".

I picture it as one of those types where she clings onto one hope and that hope can change her, but if it's retracted, she gets thrown back rather cruelly into her fears. This will be important in the later story.

"Inside," Ler repeated. "You haven't mentioned that before. Surely you're not putting Kemé on the stand..."

I'm glad they didn't - it shows that they really do care about Kemé, and aren't just using her to achieve their own ends.

Yup.

He spoke spitefully of the Jedi's cradle-robbing, their attempts to separate Waqkemé Noori from the only family she had left, and had glowered at the girl in question for the entire time.

... unlike their opponents.

Lol, true, very true.

Qui-Gon's right - it says something when a judge is moved this way. It's nice to know they aren't all made of stone.

"Based on the evidence," she began with all the warmth of a Hoth midnight

*grins* Loved that metaphor.

I based this judge on the movie Amistad, where this one judge has been pretty impassive the entire time, then when he comes to the verdict, it's just been a snowy night and you can see that the chill has crept into him because of the force of his decision and his disgust at injustice.

Oh, I'm so glad. A happy ending, at least for now. But knowing you, the quiet serenity won't last long.

Whistles innocently.

10. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    No, we call them wards in the Mormon faith, but then I always get cracks about belonging in a psychiatric ward.

Ah, okay. :p And I'm sure I don't know what would make people say such things... [face_mischief]

I don't know what you're talking about, but I've been the type to wait and hope for a caring father figure and writing it seems more like it's possible.

Oh, just your typical "not-so-hot" childhood. [face_plain] And yes, that's exactly why I like reading about them - makes them seem possible. ;)

I picture it as one of those types where she clings onto one hope and that hope can change her, but if it's retracted, she gets thrown back rather cruelly into her fears. This will be important in the later story.

That's good, but in a way, it makes her so fragile I'm afraid for her. :( How many times can she stand to have her hopes dashed to pieces?

I based this judge on the movie Amistad, where this one judge has been pretty impassive the entire time, then when he comes to the verdict, it's just been a snowy night and you can see that the chill has crept into him because of the force of his decision and his disgust at injustice.

Ooh - I need to see that movie. I've got the book, but I haven't read it yet. *ducks head* I need to do both.

Whistles innocently.

*laughs!* Oh, you can't fool me, you Sith Lord, you. [face_devil] [face_love]

For freedom. For justice. Viva la Rebellion.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001

Ah, okay. And I'm sure I don't know what would make people say such things...

Actually, you'd be surprised. I had one reader meet me in real life at a fanforce event and stare at me, going, "you're ishtar? but you seem so...nice!" I'm a mild-mannered, affable type who just likes to murder characters.

Oh, just your typical "not-so-hot" childhood. And yes, that's exactly why I like reading about them - makes them seem possible.

Me too. What was it you were saying the other day about having thigns in common?

That's good, but in a way, it makes her so fragile I'm afraid for her. How many times can she stand to have her hopes dashed to pieces?

She'll grow out of this for the most part, but there will be a time in her life when she reverts and it damages her a lot.

Ooh - I need to see that movie. I've got the book, but I haven't read it yet. *ducks head* I need to do both.

It's my favorite movie. I cry every time.

12. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Actually, you'd be surprised. I had one reader meet me in real life at a fanforce event and stare at me, going, "you're ishtar? but you seem so...nice!" I'm a mild-mannered, affable type who just likes to murder characters.

*laughs!!!* I suppose such a contradiction isn't completely out of the question. :p As for me, I don't relish killing off my characters - I get attached to them, and I want them to be happy. [face_love] Or if not happy, secure in their angsty-ness. [face_devil]

Me too. What was it you were saying the other day about having thigns in common?

That I'm sure we have tons more than we've gotten to discover thus far, and that I could tell from your writing. ;) I know you were speaking retorically, but I do think we should chat more. *secretly hoping Ish's talent will rub off on her* [face_devil]

She'll grow out of this for the most part, but there will be a time in her life when she reverts and it damages her a lot.

You know... in that aspect she's like other abused children. I suppose she manages to bury it all for a while, but then, years later, it comes back to haunt her, and she has flashbacks and stuff, and it's just a mess all over again. Poor baby. :(

It's my favorite movie. I cry every time.

Okay, now I really have to see it; I seem to have this morbid need to watch the things that upset me the most. o_O When the Anne Frank movie came on television - the made-for-TV one that came out a few years back - I was moody and morose for weeks. Finally my mother taped over it. I was angry, of course. :p

I can't wait to see how Kemé adjusts to life as a Padawan. [face_love]

For freedom. for justice. Viva la Rebellion.

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Snogging," he snorted, hands covering Kemé's ears. "I don't know where you pick up such language, but I'd ask you to keep your lies and your vulgarity to yourself." --- hit a bit too close to home huh??? LOL!

Yippee!!! What a relief that Keme is finally out of there! Spider... ewwww.... *shivers*

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL. I just finished my major effort and so will be spending a lot more time on this.

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm going camping tonight, so will post, hopefully, tomorrow.

16. TraxxasJedi

TraxxasJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    But what about my lightsaber and uruh-kia? You no provide baloons yet! lol.

*Waits for next post*

17. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Amazing.

I know I haven't been around for awhile, since I've had rather limited internet access the past few weeks, but I have missed a LOT,

Sorry.

It would take forever to comment on everything, so I'll just say this: Hooray for the final verdict! Finally a judge with some common sense.

And by the way, The Prince of Egypt is one of my favorite movies too. :)

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    All right! A thread full of sensible people. AUGH! I'm on a new computer and the place for the space bar is now the backspace key, so I have to keep rewriting.

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, sorry, but am having writer's block--not on what to do, but on how exactly to word it. WIll try to write some, but if not, you know why.

20. TraxxasJedi

TraxxasJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    Why don't you use your old key board. Ought to fit somewhere...

PS: Where's my uruh-kia?

21. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    Err . . . sorry Arin.

'Tis but a scratch.

I have this dreadful sexist habit af assuming all people with non-gender-obvious usernames on the general JC boards are male, while all the ones on the fanfic boards are female.

The office I work in is predominantly women, as is my church, and the fanfic boards. Either I'm really smart and know where the odds are in my favor, or I'm a glutton for punishment.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Traxxas: Until september, when internet in our apartment will be included in the rent, I have to use stupid computer labs that close at 10 and don't have normal computers.

Arin: Gotta love the amended sig.

23. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay!! She's gonna be with Saria until Qui can get the order to have her transfered to the Jedi custody!! Great work!!! Loving it even more DarthIshtar!!! :D

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The Jedi didn't believe in sleeping late, but Qui-Gon was prone to make an exception in Kemé's case.

She was recovering well, her eating habits stabilizing, and her fears receding, but she still was recovering from years of deprivation.

He couldn't blame her, far from it. He envied her the ability.

Sleep was slow in coming these days, especially pending the Council's decision on the course of her future.

Upon their return to the Temple, Saria had presented him with a passkey to her apartment, explaining that she and the Council agreed he should have this particular reward for his diligence.

Kemé hadn't even looked at the bedroom when she started a hug that didn't stop for a very long time. She was simply too grateful to be home to care if it had comfortable things there.

She had been tested extensively the day after her arrival. The standard exams that Qui-Gon had performed had been repeated, as well as evaluations of her telekinetic and telepathic abilities.

The results were all as expected. She had great power, but it was untrained. Force-willing, the Council would see their way to allowing her that opportunity.

But she was a considerable anomaly. Certainly, there had been children who, for some reason or another, had been submitted to the Temple after the acceptable age, but they were traditionally under the age of four.

Kemé was seven and in her formative years. She would have to unlearn certain things.

Fear for example.

One of Master Yoda's favorite tests was one that tested honesty as well as the strength of character.

The words "how feel you" seemed so innocuous.

And yet, it had nearly sent Kemé into a panic. Having been raised to fear any emotion as well as any authority figure, she was at a loss as to the proper way to address his question.

Master Aitel had been on the verge of outright frustration.

Seeing his charge's confusion, Qui-Gon moved to her side and rested his hands gently on her shoulders.

"Do not fear what you feel," he said gently. "They do not hate you for it. Simply tell them what is in your mind now."

And she had, albeit in tentative tones and broken sentences. Had spoken of how frightened she was of not knowing what would become of her, but also of the strange fact that even though she did not know much for now, she had some sense of peace because she knew "Kai-Gon" would stay with her.

Some of the Council had smiled, nodded approvingly. Others were pensive.

Master Yoda looked downright somber.

It had been four days ago and still there was no word of Keme's fate.

A beeping startled him from his reverie and he turned to find the comm center indicating an incoming message.

Groaning, he swatted it on. "Jinn here."

"Knight Jinn, this is Lean Meesan."

A Council aide. He straightened and rubbed the fatigue from his eyes.

"What can I do for you, Knight Meesan?"

"The Council has requested your presence in thirty standard minutes. You are to bring Waqkemé with you."

Fighting to keep the elation out of his voice, Qui-Gon simply ended the communique with a "Thank you."

Crossing to his bed, he settled next to Keme and shook her gently awake.

"Come on, sleeping beauty," he teased. "We have a big day ahead of us."
    The Council's faces betrayed nothing.

That in itself was a bad sign.

Qui-Gon and Kemé bowed once inside the circle, then stood at ease, waiting for any sign of what was to come.

It was Master Delsar, a gentle, soft-spoken woman and the newest addition to the Council, who finally spoke.

"She will not be trained."

No bandying semantics then. There were several appropriate responses, but only one that he was ready to give.

"WHAT?!"

Keme was silent, trying valiantly not to show emotion, but even so, tears were leaking from beneath her eyelids.

Qui-Gon instinctively rested her hands on her shoulders, giving what comfort he could, but his mind was too stunned to muster much.

"Why not," he managed finally.

"She is too old," Aitel explained. "Reco

25. Arin_Atona

Jul 10, 2004
    This isn't something she should erase, only overcome

I like that statement. She's definitely got a long road ahead of her.

Making this stand out so Ishy can find it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.