main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New, Powerful Force Users

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Silas Nightstalker, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Kun was the man before his time..it took a FLEET of Jedi to beat him..never lost one on one!! I could see Krayt as someone similar after he died and came back..but I'm not sure there will be another bad ass on that level.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Ok..

3. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    It almost gives me goosebumps to think of what Anakin could have been as a Jedi. Then I think of what he could have been as a Sith Lord had Obi-Wan not chopped him up, and I DO get goosebumps. Anakin would have certainly overthrown the Emperor within just a few years. I'm currently reading the Darth Bane Trilogy, and I see how he was amazingly powerful, but he certainly wasn't the greatest. No matter what has been written, I still consider Sidious the strongest of all the Sith Lords.

Sable_Hart and rumsmuggler like this.
  4. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    If he isn't supposed to be canon, then they shouldn't have created the game.

It's funny how people in lit forums complaining about canon when literature is most at risk of getting **** on.,

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  5. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    why

I don't get it

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Because most of the games are not in the "danger period" of 30-odd years after the battle of Endor- hence they're less likely to be "decanonized".

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Read Darth Plagueis and Dark Lord. In Plagueis it is outright stated that the total amount of Midichlorians is not important when it comes to power. In Dark Lord Palpatine thinks his pupils weakness is only psychological (aka his self-doubts).
    Vader did fulfill his potential, only as a darksider. He didn't take Palpatine out sooner because after Mustafar he has become a wiser man. He wanted to rule the empire and killing its leader is not enough to ensure rulership. In Ghost Prison he had ample opportunity to kill his master, but he refrained from doing so.

8. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    But why is it funny?

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's more that- by arguing for games being decanonized- they are supporting a position that's, on a small scale, what all the "anti-EU" people are arguing for.

10. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Funny like a clown? Like lit is here to amuse you?

12. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I've been chilling in lit before a good number of y'all were registered, so yes it's here to amuse me.;)

MasterSkywalker86 and Manisphere like this.
  13. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Oh i see, so "funny" as in ironic. Not "haha" funny.

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    More like sarcastic funny.

15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    It's funny how people in lit forums complaining about canon when literature is most at risk of getting **** on.,

yeah i would probably have a problem with this either way, but yes being in the dark times time period makes it more serious.​

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Total amount of midichlorians", outside the internet, is not a quantity assumed to have relevance, and it is never cited in the films. If midichlorians are meant to be unimportant, it seems strange that the book points out Plagueis' increased midichlorian count at one point.

Post-Mustafar Vader has the same midichlorian count that he had in TPM.

17. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Why would "Total amount of midichlorians" be any less important than amount per cell? Logically if Vader had less living tissue and hence less midichlorians his force connection should, theoretically, not be as strong.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Only if Midichlorians are linked to force power and only if total Midi count is the important parameter and not Midi concentration.

He increased his midichlorian count because he basically wanted to see what happens. Sidious, who probably had less midichlorians, still grew to be more powerful than him.

How could he? He lost a certain percentage of his body. Midi concentration in his living tissue should be the same however.

19. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I thought it was pretty much decided that Midicholrians were linked to force power?

And I would think that concentration is the main factor, considering how small Yoda was, so his total wouldn't be huge. And if total was all that mattered then the strongest force users would be the biggest dudes.

But then why do so many official sources say that Vader lost some of his force potential because of becoming part-machine etc?

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If it is about concentration, Vaders power would stay the same because it doesn't change.

Because it is a total mess. Some sources claim he got weakened, others deny this.

Both Plagueis and Sidious are of the opinion that cybernetics don't matter and I think of them as experts on dark side force use. I also dislike the notion that the OTs main antagonist was weak because then the OT suddenly stops making sense. OBW or Yoda would've killed Vader if that were so easy.

21. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    But it does make sense from the POV of the saga for Vader's potential to have been dashed somewhat.

He was supposed to have the ultimate force potential, be stronger than the Emperor "soon". But this never happened.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Depends on how much importance you place on the prequels, really. From a story perspective, the OT is the finale, the grand fight in which freedom is achieved. The PT is more or less "only" backstory.

That doesn't make one trilogy better than the other in a storytelling sense, but claiming that the prime villain of the "epic finale" is a weak guy is weeeeeird. It takes away a lot of tension and importance from the OT if he could be defeated by one or two geriatric geezers (referring to Obi-Wan and Yoda). Remember that Luke only fought Vader and never Palpatine. If the only guy Luke defeats in a lightsaber duels is weak, then Luke is not an impressive Jedi as well. Therefore: Making Vader look weak > take away from the OTs importance > take away from Lukes struggle

You might as well call Lord Voldemort an inferior sorcerer in Harry Potter or call Magneto in X-Men a wimp. What's the point in decaying your own villains? Why would you ever do that to your franchise on purpose?

I think Disney will do away with these silly ideas.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  23. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    No one is saying Vader is weak. Just not as strong as he could have been. It doesn't take away from anything.
    And he wasn't defeated by Obi-Wan and Yoda.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If he is weaker, then how is he wasn't killed by Yoda right after ROTS? Yoda's a pretty powerful Jedi. He is on par with the Emperor who is also very powerful.

And yes, it does take away a lot if Vader is supposedly weaker than foolish Anakin who was inept enough with the force to stumble into an energy trap.

I've given you some good reasons on why the story needs a Vader who is damn powerful. Now its your turn to give me your "story reasons" on why he should be weaker. So far you didn't.

25. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Well the Emperor was significantly more powerful than Yoda in ROTS, according to the film. And even if Yoda went into exile. If he could have had 1 v 1 against Vader, would he have won? maybe. We'll never know,

You're not listening. Vader post-ROTS was more powerful than Anakin in ROTS i think. But post-Mustafar he lost force potential. Hence he couldn't become as powerful as he could have.

Vader is damn powerful! no one says otherwise. Just not as powerful as he could have been.
    The fact that he lost some potential when turning to the darkside and being pwned by Obi-Wan is a major plot-point of the Star Wars saga.