main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Project - Inspired by one EBer's lunacy and 2 other's insanity

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by PtrsonsZOO, Jul 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Yes you've got it... We really are going to be making Rogue Squadron Dolls :eek: :p

Get your laughing out of the way now, because once we get going, everyone is going to want one :p

I'll be working on the prototype this evening... And there are plans to have a group meeting to work on the rest... I have enlisted the help of Fenig on the flight suits, and have already worked up some patterns for the flight helmets and boots. The bodies will be pretty easy, but I want to make sure I can find the right material (it's been years since I did these kinds of dolls, but I'm pretty sure the stuff is still out there). Everyone is welcome to help w/ this project, even the guys. ;)

I am going to need a little help w/ the chest boxes, so any ideas will be gladly considered. :D

2. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I'll be by later tonight with the muslin and some orange fabric to help out, Zoo.

Also, should I bring my plushie Flash doll someone gave me? Just as an idea starter?

3. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Supply List for Rogue "Plushies"
    Flesh colored tights material
    Flesh Colored All purpose Thread
    Black Upholstery Thread
    White Upholster Thread
    Red Embroidery Thread
    Brown Embroidery Thread
    Yellow Embroidery Thread
    Black Embroidery Thread
    LOTS of Poly Fill
    Day Glo Orange Fabric (1/2 yard per Rogue is a generous estimate)
    Day Glo Orange Thread
    Tight Yarn (In various colors for Hair)
    Black Thin Pleather/Vinyl (for making boots)
    White Thin Pleather/Vinyl (for making helmets)
    Leather Paints
    Blue/Gray Sculpey II
    White Cotton Material
    Black Elastic (1/4")
    Gray Flat Shoelace-like Strips

4. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    You're all insane!!!

:D

I was about to say...if you could find someone who could do vacuum-forming, they might be able to make little helmets and chest lunchboxes. Detail at that scale would be tricky, though.

Since you already have a pattern for the helmets, and since it'll have that "stuffed-toy" kinda feel almost, a vac-formed anything would look out of place.

Have you thought about making push molds for Sculpey? Like the kind we used to use for Play-Doh when we wa growin' up? You could just do the box, and then paint on the finer detail. It'd retain its "crafty" feel better that way, too.

Back into the freezer...

5. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    WOW the enthusiasim of the buch is ???? well a bit odd at times . but hey if it keeps you all busy. cool. I thought you were talking like the 12 inch figures kinda doll. taking a generic G.I.Joe doll and slaping on a home made flight suit. but this is a lot cooler and shows more imagination. Good Luck

6. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    *shakes some of the cold off* Almost done...

I'd also like to suggest not tossing dozens of these things on eBay all at once -- stuff like that attracts the attention of LFL. Putting a few occasionally on eBay should be OK, though.

7. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Sculpey for the Chest Boxes!!!! That's an awesome idea! :eek:

I was thinking of using it for making my Ton Phannan doll, but never thought about it for the chest boxes. :D Hmmmmm, guess that white sculpey I got for eyes will be used for some other stuff too :D

And we're just making these for ourselves, TK, so no worries there :D

8. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    *nod* I was about to suggestion sculpy as well. Fun stuff.

And... we're not restricting ourselves to only Rogues, are we? We can do other characters too, right?

Hmmm. Little lightsabers... sculpy as well? Or something else?

9. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    This is a model for a Male Body.... So, yes, you can do any male character you like... As long as you dress them... I don't want naked doll body running around... No, there will be no anatomically correct doll bodies being made :p

10. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yes, OF COURSE I'll dress them! Ewwww! :p

*starts list* A Wedge, and an Anakin Solo, and a Kyp, hmmm, maybe a Janson, maybe a Han and a Luke...

11. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Just checking... do we want to make plans to have people get together to work on this some night this week, or are we waiting to see how Zoo's test subject turns out?

12. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    If the test subject works, we'll know just what size to make the clothing and such... So, I suggest waiting until I finish the first one... Which should be tonight :D I already finished the Body Pattern v1.0 and torso last night (which proves that part of the pattern is good). I think the Head is going to be the hardest part, but I've gotten some practice making head shaped stuff w/ the AN-H-15 mock up.

I will let you know as soon pix are available. :D

13. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    SPEAKING OF THAT AN-H-15 MOCKUP...

My real one hasn't arrived yet. I just e-mailed them. It's been 7 business days since they confirmed it was shipped...sooooo...maybe it'll show up today.

14. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I've got my fingers crossed for ya. :D

15. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    OKay, following some well deserved slacking this afternoon, and some sewing misadventures, I did not complete the prototype tonight. :( :p

However, I did discover some design flaws and corrected them, as well as finishing the torso and leg assemblies. Next will come the attaching of said pieces, and then on to arms... Which BTW are equivalent to sleeves in their evilness :eek: :p

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    *Squeals*

IWANTACORANHORNPLUSHIEBUTHEWEARSAGREENFLIGHTSUITSOI'LLGETSOMEFABRICATJOANNSANDBRINGITBYWHENIGETACHANCE!!!!!

17. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    How big are theses said dolls?

And yes, sleeves are evil [face_devil]

18. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    We're probably looking at the 14-16" range... Won't know for certain until the first one is finished.

And JGoC - I think you might be just a LITTLE excited about this project... I think Taeriel might be the only other one even close to that excited. [face_laugh] ;)

Progress Report (I did get a little bit done before the kids got there) Torso, complete and pattern perfect. Upper Legs, might have to make a couple of adjustments to the pattern in order to get them attached to the torso better ?[face_plain] Arms, each half is ready to be joined, and the hands turned out pretty good (even better w/ the right material). Lower legs, pattern perfect and all assembled, next trick is sewing them to the uper legs. Head/Neck, having some design issues :( but I'm working on it.

So, barring any unforseen crises, I should have the body pattern ready to go by Saturday. :D

19. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    LOL... ok, well that was the lack of sleep mixed with the excitement. :D Yay! I'm gonna have a coran doll! :D

20. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Progress Report

Legs (Upper & Lower) - Check
    Arms (Upper & Lower) - Check
    Torso - Check
    Head & Neck - ?[face_plain]

Still having some issues w/ that part, but hope to have it worked out tonight... Just got home from the airport and had to do some cleaning before I went insane (I know, short trip), but I am now hard at work completing this soon to be wondrous anarchy of Rogues and Wraiths running amuck on a couch near you. ;)

21. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :_|

%$@$&^^$@$#@^*&@#@$@#*&$@*#*&@#@*&@*#&*^&@*^@*&^#$@ :mad: :_|

22. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Heads are evil? **snicker**
    What is it Zoo?

23. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Buahahahaha!

24. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Arms went way too smoothly... Should have seen that as an omen :p

Yes I am having difficulty getting the head to look like something other than a flat sack or a block :mad: Have now gone through 3 designs, and each one has ticked me off to no end :mad:

After I pull all of the stuff out for Sarah, I'll be heading back into the lion's den to sort out this stupid head [face_plain]

25. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, Head Face and yes chin, are done... I got irritated w/ it yesterday, so I didn't spend much time on it. :p

Now, I'm working on the neck, which WILL be done tonight. So, as soo as you guys find me the right fabric (think Cabbage Patch dolls), we can get started on the mass production of the bodies.

Somebody pick a place to meet, I'll bring the pattern and my sewing machine, as well as my prototype and we can get cranking on the bodies while I work on a flightsuit pattern. :D Already have the gloves, boots and helmets worked out, but those will come last. We need to get some bodies made before we can start on the little stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.