main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Red Dwarf Episode?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    From the Official Robert LLewellyn Forums:

At the KTCS9 20th Anniversary evening tonight, Robert announced to a small crowd that a brand new, 1 hour Red Dwarf episode had been commissioned by BBC Worldwide, to be filmed in October 2008.

He wouldn't spoil the storyline, but did mention that the script is being finalised right now.

I was in the audience, it was a good night, with not too many people, and plenty of chances for questions.

It was recorded by KTCS9 for a future DVD.

Very nice if true!

Note - slight language warning for posts in that forum.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Not sure how I feel about this.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I guess it depends on who would be in it - the old cast or new faces?

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Old cast according to that link.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Please no. Leave it alone.

(unless Grant Naylor is brought back to life)

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    there was a segment in a tabloid today, but it suggested there wasn't going to be a new episode, but merely a cast get together and filming of a 'special' with them talking about episodes and going through a few favourite scenes.

it was a tabloid though :(

having new material with some big sign-off would be ok I think - either they die or return to earth just to properly finish things off now that the movie will never be made

7. Louis_Skywalker

Louis_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2008
    I hope this turns out well, these things never quite live up to the fans expectations

8. KIRA-SHAY

KIRA-SHAY Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2007
    I was really excited when I read the title, but now I'm begging to think Everton is on the right track. Unless they have Rob & Doug, along with the original cast, it's just not going to do the series justice :(

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Rob & Doug have fallen out big time. They won't be back. It'll just be Doug.

But according to The Sun

The cast of Red Dwarf will reportedly reunite for a series of new shows to be broadcast on digital channel Dave in 2009. The Sun states that Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, Danny John-Jules, Robert Llewellyn and Chloe Annett will appear in four 30-minute specials that will combine new material with classic footage of the cult BBC Two sitcom

10. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I smell some recap/clips episodes cobbled together with short sections of new material :(

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And if Chloe is there, it'll be series 7/8 stuff :(

12. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I've only watched Season8 once.

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    8 was better than 7 as it was back on the ship, it had Rimmer in it, and it wasn't filmed on film.

EDIT: And it had the Brylcreem joke which was better than all of season 7 put together

14. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    In series8 I applaud them for attempting to recapture the original concept with large parts of the plot being rimmer and lister speaking alone in their cell.

however the writing didn't match the original material.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    No, it didn't match the original, but it did have its moments of brilliance. The episode where Rimmer thinks they're appealing against their sentence, but it turns out it's just about Lister getting his guitar strings back is great stuff. That's classic Dwarf.

Series 7 just didn't work on so many levels. It was the classic mistake of trying to be "bigger and better" and failing on both counts.

Even series 6 started to fail, as it became too formulaic. Each episode had to have a space corps directive, and a "we're deader than..." line for example.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It did what many successful series do, went on too long and the quality level dropped as it was simply made for money rather then laughs.

My Family suffered a similar fate, as did Star Trek.

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't have a problem with series going on too long (I'd rather that than ending too early and missing out on the chance to produce more good episodes). I can always choose to not watch the episodes I don't like.

But to bring something back after so long, especially when the fanbase generally agree that the shark has been jumped, has never been a good move.

18. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Just make the damn movie and get it over with.

19. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Will watch regardless lol ;)

20. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    that's kinda the problem here - we all know we're going to watch it, so despite the rationale, or however bad the content actually is, the BBC know they'll get good ratings for it.

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I won't watch it live :p

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Nearly exactly... they still talk and get on. Rob just decided (quite rightly to) to not go back to the show after series 6.

Doug is nothing without Rob. The genius is between them.

I wish they'd just leave it alone. I don't want any reunion specials, or anything closing out the story. Don't need it. Don't want it.

EDIT: And I'm a Dwarf nut.

EDIT EDIT: Series 7 and 8 are so far removed from what Red Dwarf should be it's just not funny (lol). It's a different show with those two. Series 6 became gradually formulaic, but the ideas remain top notch and the finale fantastic.

23. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    its clear from the two final books in the novel series that it only works when it is the two of them - their independent work isn't nearly as good.

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Of the two, my preference is Backwards.

If only for the chapter where Holly is temporarily rebooted.

25. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    me too.

there were some excellent conceptual ideas in The Last Human, but it wasn't fun(ny) to read
    Backwards did make me laugh, and although the backwards plot had holes in it, it was very fun to read (particularly them repairing the Bug which didn't need to be repaired)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.