main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Red Dwarf Episode?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    SithLordDarthRichie: If you ever mention "My Family" on these boards again, I will murder you.

No jokes, no punchy 1 liners.

I will come into your bedroom at night when your asleep and slowly squeeze the life out of you.

I really do hate that show. Really. I'm actually crying cause I had to write the words "My Family".

Ohhhh, I did it again. Now i'm shaking and my nose is running.

Anyway, some Dwarf specials might be a good idea.

I really enjoyed the Red Dwarf night that they had about 10 years ago.

Don't know if anyone else remembers it? It was introduced by Patrick Stewart.
    They had Ansley Harriet doing a cooking segment with the Dwarfers? Dwain Dibbly make a come back too!

Wish they would repeat that, that was class.

And of course the Smeg Up and Smeg Outs videos are some of the funniest stuff ever (Lister saying he can play golf, hmmmmmm!! lol)

One smeg up is funnier that all 3663 episodes of My Family put together.

Crap, I said it again.

Now i'm going to have to kill myself.

Goodbye!

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Nowt wrong with My Family (well, until Nick left)

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    And the show introduced idiotic characters like Roger, Abi & that hippy dude. The writers failed to realise that these characters were annoying rather then funny (as Lucas did with Jar Jar).

The show went dry, lost it's best character, but because it got ratings and the BBC wanted to milk money out of it they carried on.

Why can't a series end on a high?

4. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    See, this is why I don't post here anymore. :_|

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    So then...

New Red Dwarf Specials Confirmed
    Announced by Dave, detailed here.

19 September, 2008

New specials? Proper information? After all the rumours? Oh smeg yes.

reddwarf.co.uk has the facts. As announced by Robert Llewellyn for Grant Naylor Productions this week at the UKTV seasonal press launch, the project is a short series of brand new specials to celebrate the 21st birthday of Red Dwarf.

Doug Naylor will be masterminding the four half-hour instalments, and the regular cast will all be reprising their iconic roles. They are being made by GNP for UKTV's free-to-air channel, Dave - our new best friends!

Red Dwarf repeats on Dave - including an anniversary weekend run - have picked up remarkable numbers since the channel was reborn on Freeview, and it's becoming clear to all concerned that the show is picking a new, third generation audience. With the usual involvement from Red Dwarf partners BBC Worldwide, you can also expect international broadcasts to follow (and, we'd imagine, a top-quality DVD release in the fullness of time).

It's very new news to me - I really only fully heard the details yesterday, Robert told comedian/host Michael McIntyre. We're doing four new shows with the original cast. Two of them are going to be, like, proper episodes of Red Dwarf. One of them is so exciting I've been asked not to say anything about that because other people will steal the idea - and it is a great idea, quite challenging for us as performers. And the other one is a kind of behind-the-scenes-y... the truth. There's been so many rumours and gossip about Red Dwarf, about whether there's going to be a movie and whether we all get on, all those things... The downside for me, which is just dawning on me now, is I've got to do the 'rubber' thing again, which I haven't done for ten years.

For the record, and direct from the makers, the details of the four shows right now - while wholly subject to change - are:

Show One - The Making Of The Specials
    A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production.

Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One
    The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on...

Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two
    The adventure continues...

Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference
    The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before!

The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects. Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999. This exciting development suggests a new and shiny future for everyone's favourite sci-fi comedy.
    Generally, I perceive this as very bad news.

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I was excited about the PT, then was sorely disappointed.

As a hardcore Dwarf fan since day one (yes, watching it on BBC2 when it first started), I'd love to see new good material, but I see this tearing apart my memory of awesome BBC television.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yup.

However outside of all that, I worry about the budget for the shows. Although, maybe with less cash they'll be forced to go fo character-based comedy once more, and maybe even models instead of lousy CG.

8. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    The models in the original show look better than the CGI. I think they had about four clips - two of SB leave the Dwarf, and two of BM leaving, and just used them repeatedly in the different episodes. The point is however, that it fitted with the tone of the show - obviously low budget, but big on writing effort.

I was sickened by the 'cheap-pop' return of DwayneDibbly and Ace in the EmoHawk (or whatever it was called), because it was poor writing to simply rehash characters rather than write something novel. (forgetting the lack of explanation as to why their appearance changed).

The original episode with Dwayne was brilliant - excellent writing and a clever twist, particular in seeing their opinions of each other change based on prior events they had no control over. The fact that it was all in their minds, and actually a product of their own psychology makes the writing particular stand out. It only really works because you knew the characters, and I still lol@Rimmer for the "Planet of the what????????????" line

Getting back to its roots - ie the relationship between the last human and his horror-bunk mate (who is dead), with occasional interactions with the peripheral characters is what would make me watch again. They don't need massive sets or 6 central characters - just decent honest writing.

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Putting aside that I'm a big fan of series VI, I agree about the need to return to the core of the show - the Rimmer / Lister relationship. Thing is, series VII tried it with the scenes in their cell but for me it fell totally flat.

With no Rob Grant, there's no hope. The two of them are far greater than the sum of their parts.

10. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    you need to come to my house and have an RD marathon with me - we can critique each episode, season by season.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I can wear my RD jacket.

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    If you invited me, it would be an official meet :p

13. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    if they invited me, it will be really great and unofficial :D

My Family whats that ?

14. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    sounds like a plan - official meet at my house, RedDwarf and popcorn.

does this mean I get my colours back ?

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's official - Easter weekend! You'll need Sky or cable to see it though - it will air on Dave (formerly one of the UK Gold channels, I believe).

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Dave is on freeview :)

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    didn't know that since I don't have freeview. (I have Sky). So hopefully more people will be able to see the shows.

18. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I, for one, loved series 8 (more than 7 anyway lol) and so am looking forward to this if it is anything like that series.

I always wanted a proper ending (with closure lol) so this could be their chance to end it once and for all.

Ooooh I want to watch some now lol

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I noticed the official date too.
    Final nail in the coffin I'd guess.

Although I do hope for great things. How will they explain Rimmer being older? They did a poor job with Data in the last ST movie.

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I think with Data one was supposed to suspend disbelief.

Anyway, I suppose I will be checking the Dave Dwarf site for news now. I'm nervous. That they appear to be going back to Earth (not a spoiler - publicised all over the place) is bad, because it's a big event. I was hoping for an attempt at a classic Dwarf episode. Instead it appears they might be shooting the 'mythology' angle again. :(

On the (possible) plus side, none of the publicity material released today - or the news reports - mentions the return of Kochanski.

EDIT: Red Dwarf with adverts. Eww.

EDIT EDIT: On another possibl plus side... series seven and eight were crap and suffered from an attempt to make the show more mainstream. There were more typical sci-fi references (that you'd expect from a drama like Trek) and jokes that were bland and cheap (typical of mainstream sitcoms). Now the show is trapped on a Freeview channel, perhaps the show will be able to retreat back to its routes a little. Less pressure than going out on one of the 'terrestrial' channels.

21. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    On a Kochanski note:

If she isnt in it, thats either bad continuity (we assume they are doing something that fits into the series)

Or, we get a 'Kochanski and me split up, she took a starbug and left...so anyway, Rimmer you smeg head!'

...which always blows.

22. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    she shouldn't be in it, her arrival destroyed the dynamic in the team and lead to cheap jokes and crap plot arcs

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    [image=http://static.dave.uktv.co.uk/site_media/images/uploaded/2009/01/27/TeaserPicB_465.jpg]

Reminds me of a Before the Helmet picture...

24. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    This is what Robert Llewellyn had to say on Twitter:

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Kochanski will not be in it. Hoo-smegging-ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.