main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Red Sonja Movie for 2010

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    From USA Today...today...
    Red Sonja is back.
    And Robert Rodriguez has her.

The Grindhouse co-director will produce a new big-screen adventure featuring the flame-haired comic-book vixen. While Brigitte Nielsen wielded Sonja's sword in the poorly received 1985 version, Rodriguez's Planet Terror zombie slayer and real-life leading lady, Rose McGowan, will wiggle into the metal mesh bikini in the 2010 release.

"I was surprised when Rose brought me a script of Red Sonja that she liked," Rodriguez says from his home base of Austin, where he is shooting Shorts, a family film with James Spader and Jon Cryer. "I found it very entertaining. Sonja was strong, smart, cunning ? just about everything she'd have to be to survive."

McGowan's initial impulse when offered the part? To laugh.

"When they first came to me with it, I thought it was funny," says the actress, 34. "I do have a body made for sitting on a veranda with mint juleps and a parasol. I don't know why I always have to save the planet."

Rodriguez considers her a perfect fit as the mighty, and mighty voluptuous, avenger. "Rose is a pistol. She's whip-smart, has attitude to burn, is sexy, extremely strong, yet has a vulnerable side that would surprise her closest friends. That description also fits Red Sonja."

Not that his star isn't committed to the whole barbarian babe concept, including the crimson locks.

"I do have a very scrappy-do personality," says McGowan, who will undergo intense training before filming starts in October. "I lean toward physicality. The story has characters trashed by life who fight their way back. That is my theme."

Unlike her one-legged Planet Terror heroine, she assures, "I need all my limbs for this."

McGowan and Rodriguez have not seen Nielsen in the original, and they have no plans to catch up. As the actress explains, "Why put that in my head?"

Instead, the origin story, to be directed by longtime Rodriguez associate Douglas Aarniokoski, will take its cues from the comic books as well as works by pulp novelist Robert E. Howard, father of the original Sonja (then spelled Sonya) and Conan the Barbarian (also undergoing a movie revival).

"Howard's goal was always, first and foremost, to spin a good yarn and to entertain," says Rodriguez, who is hoping his Red Sonja turns into a franchise. "That's our goal."

Please let this not suck [face_praying]

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Could there be anything in the history of time more precluded to suck then this?

The odor of fecal matter probably rose off the keyboard as the piece was written.

Rodriguez and Rose McGowan? It's INTENDED to suck...that's the genre now..."suck" is a style in hollywood...how BAD a movie will people come out to see? People actually enjoy going to the movies and getting mad about paying for excrement.

Anyone see grindhouse?

They should just call it "Red Sonja: a sucky movie"...probably get MORE sales that way.

honestly...no hope...no hope at all...abandon hope, ye who enter this thread!

[face_laugh]

3. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I found Rodriguez' Planet Terror to be infinitely more entertaining than the Tarantino snooze-fest that accompanied it in theaters. Also, Sin City does not exactly suck! While Rodriguez appears to be producing the Sonja feature rather than directing it, I have faith in his ability to discern good material (he's come a long way since Desperado), and his and McGowan's reaction to the script instills me with confidence in the possibility of a damn good fantasy film.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, this sounds pretty cool- they're not going to make it as a homage to 70's cinema ala Grindhouse, so I don't know what you're talking about, Marine. (besides, Grindhouse was awesome :p ). I actually liked aspects of the '85 movie, but it's obviously flawed.

5. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I have a fondness for the Fleischer/Nielsen film -- it's at least better than Conan the Destoryer -- but mainly it's awful and unconvincing. That Sonja has a mullet -- which ruins Nielsen's chiseleed good looks -- does not help matters.

6. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Rose McGowan is the queen bee of trash cinema.

and Rodriguez...he sold his soul to Tarrantino to avoid being "that guy who makes lame kids movies" for the rest of his life.

Sin City doesn't suck because of Frank Miller.

Come a long way since Desperado? Except for Once upon a Time in Mexico. (how quickly we forget)

And after all that, you have to go back to the source material...Red Sonja is pretty vague on most people's radar, and even comic junkies aren't huge on the character.

Tie that to the fate of a much more popular comic heroine's film with Elektra.

Tie in the abysmal first movie.

How on earth we get a new Red Sonja before a Conan update or a new He-man shocks me to know end.

All I can think is...it'll be cheap...it'll be campy.

It'll suck.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think he was avoiding anything- the Spy Kids stuff was practically a home movie excercise for his family and kids. He wasn't stuck making them- he just made them for the hell of it.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico was absolutely fantastic, also, so not sure what you're talking about there.

And we have had He-Man and Conan updates announced way before this new RS update was announced- I just don't think they'll hit the screen before her.

8. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Yeah. /shrug/ I guess we'll have to wait and see. Jedimarine tends to take the "this movie is going to suck!" approach with every single project announced -- to protect himself from being let down, methinks, and probably rightfully so. But I love the Sonja character and have been reading her almost as long as I've been reading Conan (since the late 70s). Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't really see McGowan as a very strong Sonja, but there are certainly far worse choices, and this training sounds promising. Rodriguez is one of the best in the business as far as bang-for-your-buck comicbookish goodness. I'm looking forward to this one.

In the meantime, when is Solomon Kane finally coming out? That one looks pretty good. . .

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I liked McGowan in Grindhouse and a few other films, but she doesn't seem like a great fit for the Red Sonja character to me. Then again, she has surprised me once or twice in the past, so who knows. Rodriguez was also tabbing her for Barbarella last fall, too. I haven't seen the original in many years, but if I recall correctly, besides the campy sexiness, didn't Fonda's character also have a naiveté to her?

For better or worse, the choices are likely few if they want a "name"...Biel, Beckinsale; Jolie is busy. And it definitely sort of makes sense for Rodriguez. The guy's done more on a tiny budget than most -- he can probably do the effects for this one on his computer once again.

You can totally tell that Rose had all sorts of post-coke work done. I can only imagine she sucks like a Hoover, since RR even suggested her for a semi-iconic role in a pic like this.

11. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Err... what does that even mean? McGowan brought Rodriguez the script, not the other way 'round. And where does thid Hoover-ish sucking enter into the equation? :confused:

12. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    McGowan isn't the first choice that would come to mind, but I'll keep an open mind. That said I'd rather see a Conan movie come out first.

13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    You're just about spot on...it takes a lot to get me enthusiastic.

and popcorn-flick season is even worse (though I seriously doubt Red Sonja will get a summer release)

Movies I am cautiously optimistic for:

WALL E (pixar rarely misses)

Dark Knight

X-Files

But as far as over the moon excited about stuff...$10 tickets and 8 years working at the theater beat that joy right out of me.

People are literally floored that I haven't gone to see Indy 4 yet...they are speechless...dumbfounded.

Apparently I have trampled people's foregone conclusions.

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    All right, so she came to Rodriguez this time, which is the opposite of what happened on Barbarella. Also, I gotta be frank, here...Rose's face was nearly ruined by the surgery. If she did have this as a restorative treatment after a car accident (as the story goes), she needs to see an attorney. She looks like Dixie Carter's slightly-younger sister now, and that's a damned shame.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    No. Please, for the love of all that's holy, no.

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Thankfully, Beckinsale wouldn't do Red Sonja anyway. She's too self-conscious. They had to bring in a butt-double for the shower scene in Whiteout.

17. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    I hate the idea of a remake, not that the original left much to be desired, but if Rodriguez is in, I'll be interested to see how he handles the material.

I guess 2010 is the year of remakes.

-T_S_R

18. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    The opposition to so-called "remakes" baffles me. Good heavens, many of the classics of Hollywood's Golden Age were themselves "remakes" of earlier silent films, including Wizard of Oz, Frankenstein, Dracula, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Dr. Jekyll -- all extremely influential and famous pictures, all "remakes". Many excellent genre movies of the 60s - 80s were also remakes, including King Kong, Flash Gordon, the Hammer horror films, Greystoke: Tarzan, and John Carpenter's The Thing. These days, movies such as War of the Worlds, Lord of the Rings, Batman Begins, and now the proposed Red Sonja are not so much remakes of earlier movies as they are revisiting the original source material in a truer and (hopefully) more effective way.

19. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    Geeze, Got some real nitpickers around here, huh. Alright then, I'll just clarify.

I should've said remakes as of late, and I shouldn't have said hate, I should've said disenchanted.

While your list is a good one, with the minor exceptions of War of the Worlds and Lord of the Rings (not a remake), I still feel that more often then not, Hollywood screws it up. But there's really no need for argument here as I already stated that I'm into pretty much whatever Rodriguez does, because even if he makes a bad movie, it's usually still interesting to watch.

-T_S_R

20. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Okay, fair enough. Nitpicking details is just part of what makes SFF geeks like myself SFF geeks. To prove that point, I'll remind that a previous film of LOTR exists, an animated movie released theatrically in 1979 that covers FOTR and TTT, with a made-for-TV follow-up, ROTK, produced by a different company a couple of years later. :-B

21. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Who says it's a remake? It's a new movie interpretation based on the original source material.

Now, that said, I have to agree with the doomsayers in predicting it will suck. What I have seen of Rodrigez makes me want to avoid anything else he works on.

Maybe McGowan actually wants the part of the villain? Or will end up with it? Look what happened with Travolta & Battlefield:Earth.

Sci-fi and Fantasy are niche markets. They aren't going to attract mainstream except out of curiousity. The industry knows this. Don't expect them to invest too much beyond curiousity.

22. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    So Koohii, you didn't like Sin City? Or the original El Mariachi? The guy is capable of doing good work... and at all events, he's only producing Sonja, not directing, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

This opinion is contradicted by the staggering international successes of the LOTR films, the SW films, the 6 or 7 Marvel super-hero films, the Narnia movies, Cloverfield, etc. etc. etc. Genre movies are big business these days, and their huge box office numbers cannot be acounted for by the SFF fanbase alone.

23. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Never saw them.

Lotr and Narnia have huge fantasy audiences and fan clubs. Most people in the western world read at least one of the books growing up.
    The only reason most people even have a clue about Red Sonja is because Arnie starred in the first one. What kind of sales/circulation do Red Sonja mags have in comparison?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sales for her comic are probably under the current line of Dark Horse Conan product, though the semi-recent Spider-Man crossover probably sold better for obvious reasons.

25. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, since you specifically mentioned it, I did rent Sin City from Netflix. Wanted to turn it off after 5 minutes, but I gave it a chance. That's 90 minutes of my life I will never get back. Couldn't finish it. I'm sure from a technical and style stand-point it was very well done and all, but I just didn't care. (What the heck is "Guest Director?" I can see it with a TV show, but in a movie?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.