main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT New Release of the OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lego Thrawn, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Number_5

Number_5 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 25, 2013

Wow, seems longer. But I've moved across the country since then, so my perception is all screwed up.

Saw it with my sister in the theater. We were the only ones there, so we had plenty of laughs.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A bunch of us almost saw it, but then we were all like "wait, this is TPM. We've already seen it."

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Not too long ago, a person from the Netherlands, I think, checked the list of upcoming films in his region and saw listings for AOTC and ROTS. Whether that means the films will get a release or someone didn't update the computer, is a source of debate.

4. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I think this release is the closest to want Lucas, the father of Star Wars always wanted, so by that it has the best version of the films. But thats just my two cents ;)

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It may or may not be what he wants as a final say, but given that he sold his company to Disney, then short of being invited to do a release and being allowed to make changes, the Blu-Ray versions is pretty much his final word.

6. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    I was working for HMV at the time and we had our sales quotas come through on a weekly basis. Star Wars had not sold as well as everybody had anticipated. Various other companies where I know staff had already said the same thing.

The pre-orders were average and the production of the actual box set wasn't as large so it appeared as though it was a huge thing as most places had sold out. Whilst it sold high of the initial production numbers, it didn't do exceptionally well as LFL claimed in physical sales. The only pre-orders that did do well was the limited edition box set with the film cell. Why? It was a collectors and dealers necessity.

Most company chain stores don't do their Charts system in stores due to sales. They do it by sales expectancy vs. sales. So SW seemed to be the "Big Seller" but it mostly went by the former.

Why do you think the 9 disc set was at a high price for so long? They couldn't shift them as expected. A big box set where they made a huge fuss about deleted scenes and new bonus features that were already reported to be average at best.

To recoup on their losses for Fox as well as the companies that buy the stock in as well those companies that have the items on loan until sale (and a lot of companies do that). So to cut all losses, they re-emerged again last year as a repack on BR.

Also the fact that Blu-Ray hasn't gone viral like DVD did suggests that their was a further loss and hence the production of the 2011 Special Editions had to be ported to DVD.

And if you will remember, the 2011 Special Editions from the BR were leaked a month and a half before retail release. So most knew about the changes as it had gone viral across newspapers/magazines, social media and word of mouth. On that simple leak - a large number of pre-orders were cancelled as most had already seen the changes thanks to that leak and mass Youtube uploads. And to add to that - there were a large number of returns on the BR Box Set due to the changes from people that didn't simply know. Returns mean refunds, returned box sets mean re-seals by the store or returned to the distributor and either stored, redistributed and either sold/unsold and if still unsold by re-sale - re-returned and repacked or largely destroyed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.