main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga New Release of the saga: Final changes?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Anakin's Daddy, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    As everyone knows, much of the added scenes and changes to the OT are not very welcome by many fans. Also, there have been fan edits of the prequels that make them much better films to watch because many of the undesirable scenes are cut and / or edited.

My question is, do you think it is possible that Disney will release a saga DVD / Blu Ray set of the the ultimate version that most fans really want?

How awesome would it be if they released 2 versions of each film? The original unaltered versions of all 6 AND, the definitive FAN versions which included the best added scenes but cut the worst ones. I suppose I could be dreaming, but think of the money Disney would make on this. What would your ultimate DVD / Blu Ray set look like?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The only thing that could possibly happen is that the OT would have two versions, the 2011 Blu-Ray and remastered version of IV-VI as they were in theaters. The PT would remain unchanged from the 2011 releases. Lucasfilm won't make anymore changes to the films and Lucas is both retired from "Star Wars" and not interested in making changes. Kennedy and Iger will respect that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I honestly think the Blu-ray steelbook releases that recently came out are going to be the final time that we see the original six films released on home media, and, while I haven't bought them, I do believe that the films contained therein are exactly the same as on the Complete Saga Blu-ray release that came out in 2011.

I also don't see us getting another "box set" release any time soon, if ever, mainly because Lucasfilm could conceivably continue making Saga films from now until infinity (not that I think they WILL, mind you).

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Two versions of each film of the OT? There's been four distinct versions of the OT since 1995, plus three previous versions of SW/ANH before that since 1977 which contained enough differences (largely audio) to be noticeable. That's not including versions which were simply remixed in stereo, 5:1, Dolby or whatever.
    Which two versions get the nod? Even if you take the first release version as the 'original', does SW/ANH get the May 25, 1977 premiere cut, or the corrected one that was released worldwide? Does the latest version of ROTJ have to include that moronic "NOOOO!!!" from Vader, that even later fans who preferred the SE's cringed at?

As for fan edits - that's what the internet is for. Can't see Disney tossing aside copyright laws, simply for the sake of spending the next century considering thousands of different opinions from random SW fans about how six films should have been edited. 'Definitive fan version' sounds like an oxymoron or the punchline to a bad joke.:p
    Besides, the official endorsement of even one fan edit would come across as a personal insult to the credited filmmakers.

5. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I long ago tired of debating which versions of the films are "the best". No one has the same opinion about it anyway. These days I just prefer to watch the movies and enjoy them without nitpicking every frame. The only thing I honestly would prefer be removed is Vader's "Nooo" from the latest RotJ, but I'll still watch it because the picture is gorgeous and I want to watch RotJ. So much of the fan bellyaching just suffocates the joy of the films.

As far as new cuts of the PT are concerned, those are Lucas' movies. I'd much rather Lucasfilm concentrate on making new, quality Star Wars films. You can only touch up the past so much.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    To whom?

The fans don't own the movies nor did they make them. Their subjective preferences (which vary from person to person) should have no bearing on any official release. The movies should be what the person who made them wants them to be.

7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Simple response
    [​IMG]
    No

jedi-soon likes this.
  8. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    Ehh..., I wouldn't be shocked if when the inevitable box set of all 9 episodes is released they do one more round of 'updates'.

Idk what they could possibly do to the old ones anymore without Lucas, but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    After E9 there should a set that includes the theatrical editions of all 9 movies, all of the versions of the OT, and the final editions of the PT and ST.
    And hope that they stick to this as the complete Saga longer than the last time they did it.
    Complete Saga released in 2011, ST announced a year later.

10. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I highly suspect George made sure in the deal that Disney can't release earlier versions of any of the films than the 2011 Blu-Rays. If they could, they would have cashed in like crazy by releasing them before TFA's release. Cha-ching!