Abq New Rep

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by SithLordAaron, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. SithLordAaron Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's probably about time we got down to business. If anyone is interested in being Mos Alba's new Rep, please respond here. After we have a list of who wants to run we can have a vote. I'm not sure if we will vote here on the boards or at a meeting. We'll jump off that bridge when we get there. Lets have a Saturday deadline. Sound good to all? OK, throw your hats in the ring. Just remember the guidelines: You must be 18 or older. That's pretty much all it.
  2. varza Jedi Master

star 4
    Also, it is recommended that you be able to check the boards at least once a day to once every 2 days or more often. And make as many events as possible.

I have my person in mind.
  3. DarkHaven_X Jedi Knight

star 1
    im looking at a job there but since i dont live there and dont have time till after i move im out of the running even though i think it would be cool :)
  4. varza Jedi Master

star 4
    aaron, if no one volunteers can we nominate someone?
  5. DarkHaven_X Jedi Knight

star 1
    some one hold the spot and ill take it when i get there.
  6. Lorithavon Jedi Knight

star 3
    No offense but, I think who ever is the new CR should have to be apart of the Mos Alba for at least a couple months, to know how we do thing and not be some one who is from out of town and has never been a CR before.

but that is just my opinion.

and if you want nominations I say Wook and BrotherHalo

and again just my opinion.

-lor
  7. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    I agree with Lor on that one. They should have been a member for a few months, attended meetings, just overall familiar with our group.

Hey Lor, why not you?
  8. Lorithavon Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh i see how it is Bob, I throw your name in the running and you try to get mine in...

the big reason why not me, I don't post all that much. Nor do i read other boards, and I got plenty to do being the web master.

And I'm a better behind the scenes Idea man, I can get pretty much any thing done, but if I was in charge I don't think I would have the time to get things done like I have helped with Varza's reign. T-shirts, website, fliers, the cute little bantha heads. Varza made all those things happen I just helped... that is what I am a helper...

...Varza also wants a custom board design and I'll get that done too, but I was going to wait until after the Picture Day so we can have our members on the banner.

-lor
  9. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Ahhh, you figured it out.

Or have I? The CR(s) is/are really just a figurehead and that'd make you the puppetmaster, eh?

10. Lorithavon Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yoda was a puppet and one of the best characters from the trigly, err... six-gly

-lor
  11. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Found someone you have I would say...uuhhmm? I vote for Brother Halo! As I would not have the time as much as I would like to have the pestigious position of Emperor....It is good to be the King! :D
  12. varza Jedi Master

star 4
    actually that would be Lor being the puppet and I the puppet master. :p

My top 3 are SithLordAaron, Wook and BrotherHalo... I hate to say it but Wook being my top choice...

*Varza ducks and runs for cover*

Its a fun position but it can take up time-which is the important thing. I spend most of my days online running around reading the CR forum and finding info and just thinking about the group. I just worry to much, which is my biggest thing.
  13. debeautimous Jedi Master

star 4
    I think whoever is decided on needs to understand all aspects of our group. We have some incredibly creative people that enjoy different aspects of Star Wars as A hobby and I believe everyone needs to feel like they have a home in our group. What I mean by this is there is part of our group that loves to costume and do a lot of the things the big city group does and that is great but there is also part of our group that are more laid back in their approach to this hobby. I would love to see the group become a place where everyone feels comfortable and valued whether or not they share the same ideals. I know that this can be achieved if the leader understands all angles. I love to write fan fiction but I would not expect to try to steer everyone in that same direction. I don't want to be misunderstood I think Varza has done a great job I just believe that at this point we need to reevaluate the groups direction so no one feels alienated or outcast. This group has the potential to be something we can all be proud of.
  14. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    That's a very valid point, Deb.

I don't want to rehash what Deb said, but the point is that the CR should partake of whatever aspect of Star Wars they enjoy, without feeling the need to be active in all aspects, but supporting and nurturing each activity by whatever means necessary. The CR shouldn't feel the obligation to do everything else that the group does, but at a minimum should know what activities are going on. By this, I mean if there is a single person wanting to start playing the CCG then the CR should let other members know that the interest is there. If someone wants to know how to get into costuming, then they oughta be steered in that direction (with our group it's easy enough!). If someone wants to run around wearing only their Star Wars underoos, well, maybe they oughta keep that to themselves, but the CR should understand that that particular need might exist in the group.

One of the great things I've come to understand about us members of this group is that none of us seem to be overly assertive about what we should or should not do. There doesn't seem to be any overpowering personalities that feel the group should be into one activity. We are all interested in various things, many of which overlap. We all have our quirks and anyone who says they don't is hiding something. That's what makes this group great. Diversity rocks.

With all that said, I say the group should at least grow enough to be recognized in the community as THE Star Wars fan club in Albuquerque (meaning we need Jess and LadyAnakin to go bust some anti-SW conspirators' heads whilst donning some Stormtrooper gear). Or at least do some serious recruiting in the community. We've been doing well enough with the fliers and signs at B&N, but we oughta get amped up for the coming of Episode III (and beyond). By the time that rolls around, any Star Wars fans in the Albuquerque area should be at least aware of us. The reason why I say by Episode III is not merely just because of bandwagoneers or closet fans coming out of the woodworks, but because it'll be a media blitz which we could and should capitalize on. I'm not saying we start running Car Washes or go door-to-door, but we need to have some recruiting campaigns.

There are dangers to that, too, I suppose. We have to realize that as fun and close as this group is right now with our small numbers, the group may become more chaotic as it grows. So we should also have someone that won't be afraid to take charge in chaotic situations but also isn't afraid of asking for help. But that's what I love about this group. When someone needs help, there's always someone there to step up to the plate.

Okay, so did anything I say come across as new? I don't know, I just kinda typed what I've been thinking. I'd love to see this group be known in Albuquerque. We just need the exposure. And we need a CR who is willing to take us there. Is that person me? Is that person Wook? Is that person even in our group at the moment? I don't know. It'll be a challenge for someone who wants to take a stab at it. There is so much potential for us, we just gotta find it. And have a helluva time doing it all.

But now that I think about it, are we going to continue to run Mos Alba with Co-CRs? Is the new CR going to replace Varza and run things with SLA? Or are we going to go the way of a single CR?
  15. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    That was put well Bob! I too feel we need to make this the only group that will reak of Star Wars in ABQ....if anyone even says the words Star Wars....are group will come to mind! After all that...I need a Adult Beverage....who's with me? AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH! :D
  16. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    [Gecko_fett said:] AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Whoa, Charlie Brown flashback.

I'd be up for it, but I gots to go see my chilluns (read: kids) and help my sister-in-law do some holiday stuff.

Man, I love this time of year. Why can't it be Christmas all the time? PRESENTS ALL DA TIME!!!!!

Oh yeah, I'd be broke. Hmmmm. Okay, need another plan, I do.
  17. sideshow212 Former RSA

star 4
    whoever gets the job has some big shoes to fill, varza's one of the best... ;)

but knowing this group i'm sure whoever gets the title will be up to it... :)
  18. debeautimous Jedi Master

star 4
    Brother Halo since I haven't had the chance to talk to you at length I was glad to see that you were seeing the same things I do. They changed my schedule where I am working Sundays so I am not sure if I will be able to get free once a month because the boss I have now is a dragonlady. But I will be on the boards alot and hopefully when I get back to sales you will see me all the time.
  19. Wook Jedi Master

star 4
    *Gives Brother Halo a standing ovation*

Well said!

I think you've covered the gamut there. I think we're off to a good start with our group..and I think everyone has something to contribute to make it better. I guess it just depends on who has the willingness to take MosAlba to the next level - more exposure, more members, more fun of course - however as Varza can attest, there is a lot of time and commitment involved. I think the idea of Co-Rep is still a good one..we all are too busy with that stinkin' Darth Real Life :p that it helps to have someone share the load.
  20. SithLordAaron Jedi Knight

star 3
    OK, people have been nominated, but just because they've been nominated doesn't mean they have to run. I don't think someone should be pushed into something they don't want to do.

First lets decide if we want C0-Reps or not. All in favor of having a Master and Apprentice say "AYE".

Second, I need some names of the ones who want to run for the Rep postion. I myself don't want it, but I can be convinced to keep my Apprentice position if needed.

I also think the person with the power should be established within the group before taking the reigns of the beast known as Mos Alba.

And on a side note, I'd like to give a shout out to Lor for the Clone Wars/Triumph disc. That bit kills me every time I see it. Thanks!
  21. debeautimous Jedi Master

star 4
    I second that I love that triumph segment. Yes for co reps
  22. Wook Jedi Master

star 4
  23. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
  24. varza Jedi Master

star 4
    I understand everything everyone is saying but the most important part is that everyone has to help make the group well known. One thing I told the group is everyone is in charge of recruiting not just the City Rep and officers. As for activities, this has always been an open forum. If you had something you wanted to do do it. I think the policy has worked well-maybe it hasn't. BUt if you want something, you can't depend on the CR to do it for you. You need to speak up and step forward on your own. CR's can not read your minds. Its very hard to get things done when you don't get answers from the group. This I know from what I have learned about other groups as well.

As for the CR they should also be able to work well with Lor, since he is the groups graphic designer and WebMaster. He has helped me out of many situations where I didn't know where the heck to turn.

I think Co-Reps are important and they should be people who can function everywhere together. SLA and myself-I was more active, Aaron was more laid back. We hit both gambits. I think Co-Reps are important and they need to work close together and have an open communication thru both their reigns. It also helps to have a back up if you can't be at a meeting an so on.

Yes, the group doesn't have to take over everything. But you become the face of teh group. When someone wants something you are who they turn to. If someone gets uset about someting-they turn to you. You also have the job of keeping the peace in the group, and it many times puts you in the black with a certain member and things can get nasty. Your RSA's will help you out on that.

You are also the person parents of minors look to to watch out for their kids and keep out leachers from the group. And someone people can call and just talk to many times. At least this is what I found out over the past year. It made it extremely hard when I couldn't be at a meeting because I had a job to do and couldn't do it or even attend something because I live an hour away from everyone on the board. There are a lot of little things as well.

I think a switch over time is okay but not essential. I can always be reached by whoever is the next CR if they have any questions. Its not easy taking over with no real direction. I had no clue what I was doing last year and most of this year was just learning about the board and the way it is orgnized.

BTW, I also have a file for the next CR that has much of the info for the group. Extra fliers and such as well.
  25. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Well, it seems that there may be more going on to being CR. I for one think there should be Co-Reps. It will help make for a smoother transition as well as easing the burden of taking the reins of our ensemble. Oh wait, aren't I supposed to say "Aye?" Ok, "AYE!"

Okay, well. Everything Varza just posted is true. The CR(s) become the face of Albuquerque's Fan Force. The Grand Moffs, so to speak. Okay, maybe not that exalted of a position, but work with me... Which means that they are responsible for the group. They should be accountable for actions of the group when done in the name of the group. They need to be mature (uh-oh) and capable of standing up for the good of the group. From what I know of everyone (so far) is that whatever problems arise, we can work it out. "Can't we all just get along?" Of course we can. Or the CRs will just be forced to lay the smack down. Okay, I never thought I'd say that... *hangs head in shame*

And like Varza said, "everyone has to make the group well known." It's not up to just the CRs. If everyone wants the group to become a success, then everyone has to work at it. We all know what it's like to work at something to make it worthwhile. This is just another one of those endeavors. But, I suppose that'll be another thing that the CRs will have to organize in order to get done. Which is kinda the fun of it. Just think of blanketing Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Socorro, Belen, Los Lunas, even Santa Fe with fliers notices, etc. It just takes a little time and effort.

Mos Alba will become a force to be reckoned with. Right? Is that what we want?

I still believe however, that all of this can be done without losing the fun of it. After all, if someone's not having fun, is it worth it?
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.