main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New report: Ep VII to focus on the OT "big three"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    http://www.theforce.net/story/front..._And_A_Reason_For_Arndts_Departure_156168.asp

If to be believed, a new report states that Episode VII will focus on Luke, Han and Leia with their offspring in supporting roles. They want the big three to have a proper "send off" before their kids take center stage in Episode VIII.

How do you feel about this?
    Is this their way of saying the big three might be killed off in VII?

I, for one, am excited and am glad we get to see them in action again.

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    me likey

3. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    So is the criteria for the big 3 some action and a proper send off?

I'd rather they support, but still get a little action, and a fitting send off. Criteria met :cool:
    They don't need to be centre stage for the opening of the third trilogy, they've already been centre stage for an entire trilogy.

4. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I agree, I mean they already helped defeat the Emperor, Darth Vader, and the Imperial fleet. So they've done enough (on screen at least)

5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see both the Big 3 and the new generation have equal roles throughout the ST. Maybe the newer generation could have a little bit more focus towards the end though.

6. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Yes. Or at the very least, I think Luke should have a pivotal or important supporting role in VII-IX.

T-R- likes this.
  7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    As long as, with the new young cast, that they really get into who they are, their personalities, and get us to feel for them in a way we did for Luke, Han, and Leia in ANH.

As trilogies go:
    Episode 7-get to know the characters and get us attached
    Episode 8-put the characters we know and now love in peril so as to make us want more
    Episode 9-resolution

If the newbies aren't given enough depth in Ep7, it may jeopardize our feelings for them in Episode 8 and lessen the feel for resolution in Episode 9.

Hopefully JJ and crew can accomplish all of that while giving the O3 their big send off.

8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think there is a risk that not focusing on the main characters in Ep VII (if the ST is to revolve around the new characters), is that meaningful character development will be compromised. Both the OT and PT revolved around the central characters for the duration of all 3 films - Luke, Leia and Han (the OT). Anakin, Padme and Obi-Wan (the PT).

Jarren_Lee-Saber and StoneRiver like this.
  9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    And the bridge between TPM and AOTC was damaged due to the 10 year gap between the movies. Jake Lloyd was too young and then we had a 20-something who we had to get to know all over again. The emotional bond with Anakin was destroyed.

At the very least, they will need the same actors and actresses in the ST. However, after reading the bit in the link it appears as though some young characters have been cut and at least one 20-something has been re-written to be a 40-something. WTF?

T-R- likes this.
  10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    If true, it's interesting that this is what led to Arndt leaving, however, I think even without this announcement, the Big 3's involvement is likely to have been looked at this way anyway.

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    All that matters is how the idea is executed. These reports are far too vague to make a proper assesment. In general, I don't really mind Episode 7 focusing on the Big Three and giving them a "proper send off" while at the same time introducing us to new characters that will eventually take over.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If these reports are true, then I'm happy!
    I want Episode 7 to focus on Luke, Leia and Han. Sure, maybe it's not keeping with trilogy-tradition, but come on! I fell in love with Star Wars because of those characters. To see them take the lead in another adventure on the big screen is a dream-come-true.
    And yes, I know Star Wars can work just fine without them (I'm a prequel fan), but they are Star Wars to me. One last hurrah feels right.

T-R-, TheProtocol, jaqen and 6 others like this.
  13. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    This worries me. Hugo Weaving is apparently up for a role as an Imperial Commander. So the Empire is still around 40 years later? Will there be TIE Fighters and stormtroopers too? If any of the recent rumours are true, Abrams seems to be more interested in recreating the original films rather than making something new. Luke, Leia Han and Lando should have significant roles in the new trilogy but still supporting roles.

Imagine Star Wars chronologically. Imagine Alec Guinness played young Obi-Wan in 1-3 in the 1950's. In 1977's 4th film, Obi-Wan goes from lead character to supporting character, even being killed off two thirds of the way through the film. But it's OK because he's served his purpose and passed the torch to the next generation without ever overshadowing that next generation. That's the way Star Wars works, that's the way Lucas set it up. Arndt's draft was based on Lucas' treatment. If that's being changed and is moving away from that treatment because Abrams wants to rehash the original trilogy, that's not a good sign.

14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    That model is very rarely successful. It would be like ANH focusing on Obi-Wan, uncle Owen and Tarkin and then focusing on Luke, Han and Leia in TESB. That structure would have had an adverse affect on both ANH and TESB. If JJ is basically focusing on the big 3 for Ep VII, and then the new antagonists for VIII and IX, then that tells me the story isn't as strong as it was for the OT and PT.

15. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I hate the idea. Supporting roles was more than fine for the big three imo. I dont want a nostalgia filled movie. We had three movies with them, it's time to move on and focus on new characters and stories. It would be very sad if the only way people can move on from Han, Luke and Leia is getting them killed off. It's not necessary.

I'm trying to remain hopeful and keep an open mind, but i dont like this. I very much preffered the idea of the new characters as the main focus.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Oh come on, let's be realistic here. There's absolutely nothing in such a vague, unconfirmed statement that can tell you how strong a story is. Let's not overreact.

Jedi Merkurian , jaqen, Ryus and 11 others like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had the thought that this is going to be a seriously depressing movie if all three of them get killed.

How the idea plays out is everything though.

-Jedi Joe- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  18. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I am curious why the movie would be rewritten to focus more on the big 3. If they're trying to give the big three a big send off then it could be that they couldn't secure someone, or even all of them, to star in all three sequels, so the story went through a last minute rewrite to accommodate any absences in future movies. Or it could be, and something that worries me ever so slightly, that this has come at the request of someone further up the food chain so that they can sell the movie off of what we all know and recognise.

No matter what though, I'm still on board for the ride. The movie still has potential to turn out well. Also, as already pointed out, the report was too vague to leap to any conclusions as to what actually happens in the movie. So no one should be running to grab the torches and pitchforks just yet.

19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It's speculative isn't it? We're working on the assumption that there's some truth in the rumours. And if there is truth in it, then it's absolutely possible to predict that there's a very good chance it will be flawed. You start with a strong story and build upon that. You don't start with a strong story and break it apart to shift focus to other characters.

Imagine this -
    George Lucas - "I've got this great idea for a story... this young farm boy, called Luke Skywalker, lives a dull uneventful life on a distant planet with his aunt and uncle. He looks to the stars wishing for a life of adventure beyond the sand dunes... when one day he comes across a pair of droids who, unbeknown to him, have recently escaped the clutches of the vile and evil Galactic Empire. Luke is about to be drawn into a galaxy wide conflict that will see him battle across the stars and meet a pirate, a beautiful princes and a fabled Jedi knight".

Exec - "That's great George... but let's hang fire with that particular idea. What if we move Luke, the princess and that particular story to the background and instead focus on the aunt and uncle? Let the first story be their story and we'll hire Richard Burton and Liz Taylor to play the Larrs. We'll introduce Luke in the first one, but we'll come back to his story in the sequel. Kapeesh?"

20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I wouldn't worry too much about character development in a trilogy. Much more time than usual -- usual is one film -- to develop a character arc for the protagonist(s).

I think it's a fun idea. Let's see the Big 3 as leaders of the Republic in 7, and then their offspring rise to the occasion in 8 and 9.

I have to say I'm not as excited about the possibility of an Imperial Commander making an appearance, but at least the actors they're talking about are great.

We're not all going to get what we want, that's for sure. Try to enjoy the ride people.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It's largely irrelevant that they have 2 more films to focus on other characters... The point is that it's not usually an effective way to do it. It necessitates splitting the story and the journey the characters undertake. For example, the OT is very much Luke's journey... The Lord of the Rings is Frodo's... You can have an ensemble cast, with multiple plots... but the thrust of the story must focus on the individual at the heart of the story.. be that Luke, Anakin, Frodo or Harry Potter.

Whoever's story (and I don't care which character it is) the Sequel Trilogy revolves around MUST be front and centre in Ep VII... Luke, Han and Leia SHOULD be supporting characters facilitating the story a la old Obi-Wan in ANH... or alternately let the ST be a continuation of Luke's journey and keep the focus on him throughout (with new characters in the supporting roles).

22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Repost from last evening in the CASTING RUMORS thread:

"Now, I realize that this is the type of news which could potentially rile some folks (what with the expectation of an immediate "passing of the torch" film), but I, for one, think this sounds just brilliant! I've long dreamed of the further adventures of Luke Skywalker, and to have the chance for a big send-off for our beloved Big3 is something I'd be forever grateful for. Hey, everyone here knows I'm as excited as all get-out for the possibility of getting Luke's son and Leia and Han's daughter into the filmed canon, but the report specifically mentions introducing us to the next generation in Episode VII, while turning over the rest of the ST to the new characters starting in Episode VIII. I don't see any problem. In fact, it sounds like a fine idea to me. Just fine."

As to whether this signals the imminent demise of the Big3 in VII? A poster with some proven connections just mentioned today that he is "sure" Han will go in the first film, but doesn't clarify whether this is a personal hunch, or based upon anything more concrete. Also, there was the rumor that Harrison Ford had signed on for multiple SW films a little while back, so who can say for sure?

Personally, my sincere hope is that, of the three, Luke, at least, will survive the ST films, entirely.

And if Luke must die on screen, my wish is that his end will come peacefully, and at the conclusion of the third picture (where Luke perhaps pulls a 'Ben Kenobi,' and simply disappears as he is walking off into Tatooine's binary sunset).

23. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    I am with Abrams on this one, but I hope the new characters won´t be underdeveloped in VII, so their rise will be natural. It´s also pretty telling that Lucas treatment was very vague , when it came to specific characters roles, which might not be bad thing exactly. I just think it´s messy that matters like these weren´t adressed and solved quickier.

jaqen likes this.
  24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't know, but it sounds like strike one against JJ.

25. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Ok first time in forum and first post yey!! I have discussed this subject with fellow star wars coworker many times about ep VII's direction. I feel that since the big three are in and at there current age around 60's. The story line would have to take place in or after "The Fate of the Jedi" series and this would fit the age of the actors. This would also help tie in all the episodes plots due to the Mortis connection,influence behind everything between the sith and jedi. I think episode 9 could introduce the son from the Mortis and would lead on to the next trilogy. This is of course IMO that makes sense to me but just throwing it out there, who knows what JJ is cooking it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.