main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New report: Ep VII to focus on the OT "big three"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Personally I think it sounds like a BS rumor. Lucasfilm isn't stupid.

LunarMoth likes this.
  2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Except that this wouldn't be stupid, quite the opposite in fact. Having the Big Three appear in one or two scenes, which is what it sounds like the Ardnt script did, and not contribute anything important to the story would be stupid. Having them play important roles gives them a reason to be here. Plus, if this really is a "passing the torch: film, then we need to actually SEE the new characters interact with the old ones and build up their dynamic. That way, we like the new characters and can see WHY Luke/Han/Leia would pass the torch to them. It's a smart move.

3. Gibnerd

Gibnerd Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 1999
    first post in almost 10 years.

so all this new last night got me thinking. what if VII is a transition film. an introduction to this new era of SW and giving our heroes one great last space adventure that sets up later films. also, what if the whole idea of a trilogy is out the window. perhaps they will be structured like three movie story arcs but will be more like chapters in a new ongoing story featuring the Skywalker children. I would imagine Disney would be in this for the long, long haul and not just six years of "Episode" films and the in-between spin offs.

AND... i bet that characters like Luke's lady, the new Imperial commander, and perhaps Ben Kenobi's special lady will be introduced throughout Rebels.

happy to be back. thanks.

klooney, Darth Archimage and TKT like this.
  4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Here's the thing the Empire would still exist because someone would be still be in line of command. All we know at the end of RoTJ is that they killed the Emperor and Vader. Not anyone else that falls into the line of command

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

5. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Your post reminds me of this:

Dewback, Ryus, kubricklynch and 3 others like this.
  6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Anakin wasn't developed much in TPM. I don't think it's a big deal, personally. They can easily begin the protagonist's arc even if they start off in a supporting role.

imo.

We'll see!

7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    But most people DIDN'T like Anakin in TPM and DIDN'T think that it worked.

8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Like I said, I dont think this really means anything. I'm sure we were in for a "proper sendoff" for the Big 3 anyway, and that they would be more than cameos in Ep VII. If this in fact why Arndt walked, then perhaps what he put together under-used the Big 3 to the point that it would have been a waste to use them at all. The Big 3 returning needs to be epic in the ST, and most importantly in Episode VII.

I think we are over analyzing this............

jaqen and Immortiss like this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    But I don't think most people attribute any perceived failings of the Anakin character in TPM to the relative size of his role. YMMV, of course.

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    True, but it can. I disagree with PJ, who I respect very much. I don't think it's "largely irrelevant" that we have three whole movies to develop characters here. That's plenty of time to get it right.

What I would suggest to you is that the difference between Anakin and whoever the protagonist will be in 7 is age. It is almost impossible to develop a character arc for Anakin in TPM because he's too young to have a complex interior or desires. But in 7 I imagine the new protagonist-to-be will be older, and that will make a lot of difference.

They can set him up perfectly in his relation with his parents.

11. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    People didnt like Anakin in TPM because he was poorly cast and/or directed, and I would also say because his age made the romance angle completely forced and unbelievable. Point being, the attempt to develope Anakin in Ep I was there, but it fall way sort.

And I'm not a PT hater.

Pro Scoundrel and Dra--- like this.
  12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Not speaking to your convo directly, but as a whole in this forum... I agree.

jaqen, Pro Scoundrel and LunarMoth like this.
  13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That could really mean a lot of different things.

After you get through all of the misinterpretation of the rumor mill, and it gets down to what ACTUALLY was true, maybe the Big 3 get an extra 10 minutes onscreen. No telling.

Corax78 and Dra--- like this.
  14. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I think the celebrations in the streets of all those systems and tearing down the Emperor statue at the end of ROTJ say otherwise.

We need to remember that the Empire was the Republic oppressed by a dictator with a military. The dictator was removed and the military was defeated.

This doesn't mean that literally nothing is left of the Empire after ROTJ and right on up to Ep VII, but it would be more likely that some Regional Governors were able to maintain control over their individual systems. Perhaps still enough to have voice in the New Republic and cause trouble.

15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I think that the Empire could survive as a political entity as opposed to still being an enemy over the past 30+ years.

jaqen, Pro Scoundrel and Dra--- like this.
  16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, after letting the Imperial angle sink in for a while, I'm kind of excited to see 7 open with some kind of tangle between the Big 3 and some Imperials. It gives me the chills actually. Good ones.

For all we know, it will open with a peace treaty between the two sides. ;)

Then the new enemy comes out.

17. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    Focusing on the big three for Episode VII is a fine idea. Those characters do deserve to be in the spotlight one last time, and it would be a missed opportunity not to make at least one film heavily featuring them before the actors are too old. It's the ideal bridge to the next generation of Star Wars characters. It's not just a rehash, like endlessly rebooting a superhero movie - these are the same actors playing the same characters, but 30 years older and wiser. It's a unique opportunity for character development. Also, a semi-functional family dynamic would be refreshing to see in a Star Wars film.

The younger characters playing supporting roles will placate the younger audience, the big three will draw in the veteran audience and casual fans, everyone is satisfied, and Episode VIII onwards can focus on the new characters. What's not to like?

18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Great post. It would be a sin not to honor these great actors and characters with one last hurrah.

And you know haters -- they gotta hate.

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

Point is, this movie will be 30 years after ROTJ. In 1975, were there Nazi's running around trying to take over the world? Yeah there were Nazi's but they were either looked at as nutjobs or put in prison. And Japan? 30 years after WWII we were one of if not their closest friends (and we got some cool cars and toys from them too!)

However, there WERE quite a few new factions of evil that found opportunities to wreak havoc on the world after the Nazi's and Imperial Japan were defeated. Radical terrorists emerged, giving peaceful Muslims a very bad name. There were communists trying to invade every corner of the world they could, leaving many in their own countries suffering and starving.

So Empire? Time to let go already. But exploring worlds that were quiet yet wanted to find their time to put the hurt on the galaxy? Yeah-that's a place we can go.

20. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    As always, good to see such open-mindedness about opposing viewpoints on these boards.

21. Gibnerd

Gibnerd Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 1999
    so

many

questions

22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I guess the question is: what is meant by "focus"?

Mystery Roach and Lee_ like this.
  23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    As I said last night, I am quite happy with this change. After so many years, it seems to make sense to give them the spotlight one last time before the new generation takes over. With that said, I hope they still manage to develop the new characters alongside the Big Three and when the time comes, they actually pass the torch to that younger generation...unlike what happened in the EU, where they set it up in the NJO and then decided to retract that idea in the books to follow.

24. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    There are so many things people aren't looking at at all. First this 'argument' between Arndt and Abrams isn't new. This stuff has been floating around since June/July. Second, a few lines added and a few scene change ups alone could shift the focus to the Big 3. Third, Star Wars has a lot more to play with now, there is TV for example.

So imagine this Ep7 officially passes the torch to the next generation, but we don't really know who these characters are. Then in 2016 we see a Jedi Academy series that fleshes out the next generation and then boom! Ep8 hits and we know all these characters.

This stuff isn't really that hard to figure out. Star Wars is going to be everywhere, there will be no escape. Oh another thing to keep in mind, now that we have a story team books, comics and video games can officially expand the universe now.

A lot of ways to keep the focus mainly on the Big 3 but still usher in the new heroes.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    After a night of reflection I'm okay with this. I mean it's not unusual for films to develop more than three characters and with the Big 3 already well established in the OT I think that gives them more space to develop the newer characters. The great thing about this IMO is that we not only to see the Big 3 together one more time (how freaking exciting is that :D) but we have the opportunity to see them interact with their children and to see their children develop alongside their parents. It's something we haven't seen much of in either trilogy and it's something that I think can make the ST truly unique and special.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.