main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New report: Ep VII to focus on the OT "big three"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I think that it is absolutely necessary. If the future of the franchise deals with their offspring, it would be absolutely absurd to NOT spend the time to bring us up to speed with what has happened over the 30+ years in between stories. It is necessary for context.

Just my opinion.

2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It COULD mean very little.

I'm not convinced we will see this. Leia and Han may well continue to fight, and Luke's son may turn out like his great-grandfather (who was the Dark Side of the force, yes?). It may not be these things, but some other troubled sort of family dynamic that is a part of the ST conflict/drama. Just speculation of course.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    This makes some sense, but my guess is that they might have been initially written as extended cameos and are now beefed up to be major supporting characters like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were in TPM and ANH respectively. I don't buy the fact that they might once again be the leads of Episode VII if you're looking to set up and flesh out full character arcs for their offspring down the line.

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    And I still don't buy the Obi-Wan daughter / granddaughter offspring concept, despite the ostensible setup that can be justified from his relationship with Satine in The Clone Wars.

Dewback and Beezer like this.
  5. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Well i can only hope that the big 3 FOCUS on the events currently on hand and not make references to events that happened 30 years in their past. Problem is, how can you get a bigger threat than a space station or a sith running the galaxy? Coming up with a baddie for this trilogy wont be a focus because theyre too old for that kind of adventure IMO.

I think if they simply give them a clever smart adventure that more or less defines the character of their children -lets say a simple outing that turns into a life or death situation their children/friends have to make the hard choices, it could even be foolish or questionable - whatever the decision it sets in motion the events of the next 9 part trilogy after episode 9 is over. Send off sounds cliche but everyone dies sometimes - but if they are going to focus on the OT characters lets not focus on the OT story. I think ironic references to the past might be symbolized or spoken but that feels cliche too.

I think it would be clever to utilize episode 7-9 as the "prequel trilogy" to the next 9 part trilogy with an all new cast. The story could contribute to the fall of something/someone thus a back story to that. ihope this made sense cuz typing on this stupid little phone takes forever

TheBBP likes this.
  6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." There are so many ways that they could go with that. IF that is what they decided to do.

7. Gibnerd

Gibnerd Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 1999
    random thoughts:
    if palpatine knew that end with Vader as his apprentice was near around ESB where he was showing weakness regarding Luke, you'd think he may have started with another, younger Sith apprentice. The master and apprentice Sith tradition may have continued for the thirty years after ROTJ, waiting to strike. a grandchild of Luke, who could be the most susceptible to the temptation of the dark side. Perhaps especially if the older generations are distracted in leading the galaxy in a battle against a new Imperial threat..... Perhaps also this mystery hidden Sith has not hidden within the Empire but as a friend of the Skywalker families.

StoneRiver and Six like this.
  8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Sounds like Abrams wants some dreary OT rehash rather than something new and original.

I'm NOT surprised.

Apophis_, Darth_Xeres, Dasan and 2 others like this.
  9. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Yep alot has happen in the EU and wonder if they would address the tragedy Leia and Han have been through losing two kids, Chewe and Luke loosing Mara Jade. Will Jaina Solo her love interest Jagged, Ben Skywalker and Allana daughter of Jacen be enough to carry the torch from the big 3?

10. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    No one seems to be discussing the offspring of Obi-Wan, that sounds pretty crazy to me! I didn't see too many people suggesting such a possibility, but there's no reason it isn't possible.

EDIT: Maybe that's why they introduced Satine in TCW...

Gibnerd likes this.
  11. Gibnerd

Gibnerd Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 1999
    if Obi Wan did indeed have a child it could mean several interesting things:

-post ROTS, and under further teachings with the Qui Gon spirit, Obi Wan no longer lives strictly by the Jedi code
    -i would be surprised Obi Wan would pursue a relationship and a child after experiencing first hand what happened to Anakin
    -Obi Wan got very lonely in the desert
    -it would pretty much guarantee a Ben Kenobi spin off film down the road.

mes520 likes this.
  12. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    You know all Disney has to do is make 4 new movies instead of 3. You might as well make Episode X while you're at it. This way you can introduce the characters without speeding up the storyline and give the O3 more than enough time on screen.

I do agree with most on here, you're not going to have enough time to introduce the new characters.

I think that it should be 50/50. Introduce them, have the O3 go on an adventure with the new characters.

Luke should get killed defending them, with a voice over at the end of VII and returning as a force ghost in VIII and IX (which J.J. will probably shoot during the end of VII) as to Mark Hamill's age and weight issues.

I can see Han and Luke getting killed in this one.

The Millennium Falcon getting passed onto the Solo twins so they can use it in new adventures. (The Falcon is a major part of the Saga, just like the Original 3, Luke, Han, and Leia.) It will feel more like a Star Wars movie because of that ship.

13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he went overboard with "new and original" there would be absolutely no shortage of traditionalists that would be very upset saying "this isn't Star Wars."

El_Machete12, Dewback, jaqen and 2 others like this.
  14. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Child of Obi-Wan? No. No. No. No. No. No. No. 1 million times no. This is not fan fiction JJ. Obi-Wan wouldn't dare bring a child into the world when an EVIL EMPIRE has control of the entire galaxy and is SEARCHING FOR JEDI.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  15. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    Yea I can see Jaina solo and Jagged take the reins of the Falcon and why does Han half to die let him and Liea go off in retirement help raise Allana. I can see Luke killed in IX and like V in the end like Vader everyone around his body on fire and him becoming a force ghost next to pops. The end of the big 3 era and in X we will have Jaina and Ben with there kids and Allana as a queen and Jedi what the sith fear the most.

16. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    ^THIS
    I'm not a huge JJ fan but this is far too early to be denouncing him. This is just blatant pessimism, that's all.

17. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    But if he had a child around or just after the TCW, than she/he would be a little old to bring out in VII.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I would love the big 3 to be the focus but maybe lean towards 50/50 between the big 3 & there offspring .......

19. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    It would be kind of silly to have any of the big three die in this trilogy when they managed to survive and overthrow a galactic empire and Sith Lords. Oh Han, you helped destroy a Death Star? Sorry mate, you gotta go in this one. But maybe they'll just get Khan's blood and resurrect him.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No one lives forever I'm afraid. Even heroes have to die at some point.

21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    What I gather most people are feeling is this;

It's perfectly fine and actually nice to feature the Big 3. However, it's essential to storytelling to use the Big3, as large as their roles (not rolls) may be, to truly pass the torch and be used as a way to touch nostalgia but ALSO bring out the personalities and give a great introduction to the new heroes so that by the time we get to Episode 8, we'll already be there. Therefore, we don't have to put the newbies in perilous situations at the same time we are getting to know them.

Is the story a continued adventure of Luke, Han, and Leia? Or is it a story about how Luke, Han, and Leia help to introduce, guide, and push the new heroes into the front line?

Dewback and Mystery Roach like this.
  22. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Killing both off in the same movie might be too much. I prefer they stick with one or the other. The good thing with Luke is he can at least return as a force ghost.

If Han goes I hope he doesn't take Leia and Chewie down with him.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  23. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm glad to read that you've come around, DC. I was worried for you for a minute there! :D

24. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Sorry I meant to say in action. They can die peacefully, they deserve that much at least.

Sum-Wan likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I always come around eventually. I'm eternally optimistic about this franchise! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.