main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New report: Ep VII to focus on the OT "big three"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Some people think they win arguments when they ridicule the other party. It's a sad thing to see.

SuperPersch likes this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I respond in kind.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, like I said before... everyone play nice. Or people will be getting individual warnings, etc. etc.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    But after 43 pages of going around in circles on a half-baked and probably-false rumor, what else to people have left to do but snipe at each other?

6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Not post in the thread if they don't have anything to say on the topic without attacking each other? ;)

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    OK, that just killed the thread...

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    :D... I did say "if they don't have anything to say on the topic without attacking each other".

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That's a HUGE "if"

10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    What would probably be more beneficial at this stage would be a poll re. our preference for original 3 screen time in Ep VII e.g. Leading characters? Supporting characters only? As little as possible (time for a new generation)? Not sure if one already exists?

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    You can start a thread with a poll like that, actually. It's a new angle I don't think we have in a poll thread, and we can see how it goes.

Regarding this thread, we'll leave it open a little longer at least. There could still be some life left in this conversation, but everyone needs to play nice.

12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm pulling for the Big 3 because of my general liking for Bigness.

Immortiss and EHT like this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ...and me, as well-for my general liking of "three-ness."

:p

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm personally rather fond of the space between "Big" and "3".

Dra--- likes this.
  15. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Shouldn't we be talking about the "Big 4"? Lando was important too.

16. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Here's my view.

I'm fine with the idea behind Arndt's screenplay with the Big 4 in supporting roles.

If the changes to the screenplay by Abrams means that the Big 4 are have equal roles to their younger counterparts, then I think that could work, but if the Big 4 have the main roles, and their younger counterparts have supporting roles, then I don't think that will work well.

I think it would be strange to see these old folks taking on the main action roles (except for Luke whose ability to use the Force would negate his age). It would seem strange to me if the Big 4 are all hanging around each others as pals instead of going of in their separate directions (and since they're not together, that would require that at least some of them don't have a lot of screen time). I also think these episode need to set the stage to hand it off to the next generation, and I don't think we'll be invested in their characters in VIII if they are only in supporting roles in VII.

Bob Octa and Darth PJ like this.
  17. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    If Luke and/or Han and/or Leia (I've read that really only Luke's roll was beefed up significantly) and the "main characters" of Episode VII that doesn't mean they will be the main characters of VIII and IX as well or that new, younger characters will HAVE to be slotted into smaller roles with less screen time.

T-R- likes this.
  18. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

I made so many grammar mistakes that I think what I was saying wasn't clear. What I meant was that I think that the new generation of young actors needs to have large roles in 7 so that we care about them in 8 and 9. This would require putting them at least on equal footing with the Big 4 in episode 7 IMO.

Darth PJ likes this.
  19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It would be odd to forgo the usual establishing of the hero/hero's (and their quest) in the 1st act of 3 act trilogy, and instead focus on their mentors (Han, Luke and Leia). It would be like ANH focusing on Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin... with Luke, Leia and Han coming more into the story in TESB. I think the OT would have been worse for that approach - so I'm really hoping they don't go that route with the ST.

Bob Octa and darth ladnar like this.
  20. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

But they don't, at the very least not all of them. They need significant moments. A character doesn't need to have a lot of screen time to connect with the audience.

yes, lets decide right now that if Luke and/or Han and/or Leia (as I said, I've seen that only Luke will get the significant screen time boost) are the main characters it iwll be bad. We know nothing about hte story, how the whole trilogy is going to work, the characters or anything else. The perfect time to decide how the movie MUST be structured to be any good.

T-R- likes this.
  21. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

I don't appreciate your sarcastic judgmental response. I'm simply stating how I envision it. When you say a character doesn't need to have a lot of screen time to connect with the audience, you're saying what you envision would work for the film. From the way I'm envisioning it, I think it will be tough to pull off with the Big 4 as the main characters. I already admitted that this is just my opinion, and I hope if they focus on the Big 4 that I'm wrong and that it will work out. I simply don't think it's the best approach. The only way either of us will know for sure is when the film comes out.

Bob Octa likes this.
  22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    This is a speculation thread right? If we speculate that the filmmakers are going to do things in a specific way, then it's entirely logical, and in keeping with the premise of the thread, to predict issues/challenges with the approach the filmmakers are taking. If we are speculating that ONLY the character of Luke will be prominant out of the 'big 3' then yes - I'd posit that they will have far more success balancing the focus. But this thread is based around 'Ep VII to Focus on the OT big three'. Which is where I think they'll hamstring themselves if not careful. That said, I've never for a second thought that JJ/KK will take this approach - for all the reasons discussed previously. As you say - I think it will be just Luke (with Han/Leia in mere supporting roles)... which I think is infinetly less problematic and the right way to go.

darth ladnar likes this.
  23. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

I don't appreciate the judgmental take on the film makers, story, characters etc... before a single frame has been shot and before we even have the faintest idea of what the story is. You're saying the OT would have been worse if they did what some of the rumors are saying are doing with the ST, therefore saying the ST won't be good if they don't make it the way YOU envisioned it.

No, I'm stating the truth. I didn't reference Star Wars or Star Wars characters at all. I'm saying the movie can be good, the characters well developed etc.... even if they don't go the way I thought they were going to go.

So as I said - lets decide right now that what they are doing (apparently) isn't the best approach. We have LOTS of evidence and info on the movie to make that call right?

Speculate all you want. It just makes no sense to make comments about how the ST won't be good because the rumors/reports of what they are doing doesn't match up someones pre-concieved notion of what the movie was susposed to be.

T-R- likes this.
  24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    You mean like they did in the PT where the older character of Jinn was the main focus in TPM? Since there are currently 2 trilogies that did it differently, which "usual" are you forgoing?

Jinn as focus didn't make the PT worse and didn't detract from "bonding" with Kenobi, Anakin, or Padme. The OT was the middle part of the Saga, so it's structure sheds no light on what will work in the final act of the Saga.

Exactly. Most characters don't have 3 movies to get to know them. Lando or Wedge didn't have a huge amount of screen time in the OT yet we still cared about them. The new gen will have more screen time than Wedge regardless. They just need to be written and acted well.

He decided that a long time ago based on age and what he thinks the story should be.

=D= well said.

=D= again, well said.

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I assume that JJ and the rest of the crew know and fully understand the importance of giving the "new generation" of heroes enough development to make them stars in their own right and create some personal connection with the audience so that the alleged transition that will take place is smooth enough that we don't say WTF. These are professionals and know how much is at stake in creating a great story.

Two words: focus and support...they sure have hit a nerve with SW fans! Interpretation is everything (or nothing depending on how much information is truly available).

T-R- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.