main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New report: Ep VII to focus on the OT "big three"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Good grief I hope this is true. Disney has plans to release a ton of new Star Wars films, so one more heavily featuring the "big 3" is an extraordinary idea. If this pans out this ratchets up my excitement for VII to beyond the outer limits.

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I don't necessarily mean they will have lied. If you market the Big 3 and they have equal roles to the newbies, then those targeted by the marketing will, in their mind, keep the Big 3 in the spotlight. It's not like I'm saying when the movie comes out they end up having cameos.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would bet the farm they got bumped up from "2 scene cameos" to "costars" along with the next gen, which in Hollywood trade speak translates to "main leads".

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, gotcha! That makes more sense!

And really, if that's what eventually comes to pass, I would be quite happy with that!

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    It could be like Indiana Jones and Henry Jones in The Last Crusade. Both generations had key roles.

6. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    It all depends on the plot, IMO. I will wait until anything is confirmed to have an opinion. However, I will say this: one thing that the ST will benefit heavily from is the fact that Luke, Leia, and Han have already been developed. So while they may take center stage with the action and advancement of the story, we won't have to worry about their character development, and can completely focus on whoever the "next generation" is. With the PT, we had to worry about getting to know Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme and in some cases, Qui-Gon). The ST won't have to suffer from that.

Force Smuggler and Dra--- like this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    With the prequels George Lucas effectively rewrote the previous saga of Luke as lead and switched it over to Anakin. So actually the six main Star Wars films we have do feature the story of one man's journey from boyhood to death, and how his life affects the entire galaxy. When we see the opening of A New Hope Vader is no longer a mysterious villain, he's now a central character we saw literally grow up in the previous three films. Anybody watching the saga in chronological order now inherits Anakin's story in IV, with Luke, his son, playing a role in HIS story.

The great conflict we're now inheriting is not Luke's or Leia's battle against the Empire, but the leftovers from Obi-Wan and Anakin. In fact, since both characters have significant screentime in ANH, they can almost now be confused as sharing leading positions with Luke, and certainly on par with Leia and Han.

So sorry, we actually do have a huge precedence for older characters crossing over into new films as the strong focal points.

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I can't believe that you would apologize for something like that. Oh... it is was snark. Sorry I didn't catch on right away.

*wins snark contest*

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Everyone always forgets Lando... :(

10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Let's be real here. Of course they're going to have the big three as the main characters. Why? Because that's what the fans want and expect. JJ knows this.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    I never forget Lando! Also, I have six Landos in my avatar to make sure that nobody else forgets him.

:)

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Everyone always forgets Willrow Hood. That's whose contribution is always ignored... :(

kubricklynch and Odolwa like this.
  13. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Aren't the big 3 enough?

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I love Lando, and fully expect to see him or his offspring. But Lando was always a supporting character who had a stronger place in Empire, and a very secondary role in Jedi (Jedi does not do a very good job at even keeping Lando's best characteristics in tact). For me it's like Threepio, R2, and Chewie; I love them, can't wait to see them, but I rarely talk about them at this point.

15. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Just say Lando met a girl and got heavily into Spice and flew off into the unknown regions and was never seen again

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Why would Lando be left out? The now middle trilogy carries over Anakin, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Beru, Owen, Chewie, Threepio, Boba Fett, R2D2, Tarkin, Luke, Leia, and Jabba the Hutt from the PT (and this works in reverse obviously).

Considering the history of carry over with this saga, it seems perfectly fitting that Lando would be brought into the ST onscreen. Why the hell not?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Depends on how he would be written. Or do you just want Fan service?

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Lando will be in the ST at some point. Why? Because most of the characters who carry over from the PT to the OT are dead so they need some OT'ers in the ST. Otherwise if only 3 characters from the OT show up (and everyone else is freakin' dead) would be kind of a bummer.

Pro Scoundrel and jaqen like this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I'd like to see Lando. Any good writer could insert him logically into a sequel to ROTJ without it being unnecessary or pointless. We're not talking about Palpatine showing up from the dead for a wink and a nod here. Again, in a saga that has great carryover from trilogy to trilogy, there is no actual reason NOT to include Lando.

20. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Now if Lando showed up in Episode 8 that might work better. Rather than stacking everyone in Episode 7.

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

This conversation is hilarious.

It's as if the PT was released before the OT and upon hearing that Yoda would be returning for the OT, people started to complain that they don't understand why he didn't just die between the films. I mean he was already so old, so why bring him back for some "fan service"?

22. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    So let's say Obi-Wan had a love child with Satine during TCW. And let's say this 20-something mixed race girl is the granddaughter (not daughter) as a result of that affair. The mixed race thing can come from the generation in between.

Remember last year when a rumor popped up that some British black actor named Dave (can't remember his last name) was gonna play a character in VII and an "ancestor/ relative" to that character in Rebels? Is it possible that's connected to the whole Kenobi family tree thing?

23. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Maybe it's just a leak? As we get closer to production, more and more people learn these details, which is impossible to hide.

24. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Two words: "Chancellor Calrissian"

Roll it around. It feels good. You know it to be true. [face_devil]

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Lando in Ep. 8 would work if only because he's introduced in Ep 5 as is a wild-card to the plot so it'd be nice if they did the same thing in Ep. 8. I'd be fine with Lando in Ep. 7 but holding him back to Ep. 8 to stir things up might not be the worst idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.