main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New report: Ep VII to focus on the OT "big three"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    ITA. I think it was unrealistic to believe the big 3/4 will only have minor, symbolic roles. Regardless of the EU, it's logical for them to be leading members of the Rebel Alliance after ROTJ, and its possible successor (the Republic). Whatever happens 30 years later that generates a galaxy-wide conflict again will impact on them too.

Now, for the possible lineage of Obi-Wan: that's the strangest thing I've heard so far. Not sure how to feel. He was my least favorite character of the entire saga, probably because I felt he behaved dishonest and arrogant way too many times against the heros/protagonists of the series, but he kind of grew on me while the TCW, mainly due to his relationship with Satine (who I adored). He lived by the code but failed at many human qualities. I'm not sure how and when would he reach a point and give up the jedi way fathering a child. If he ever did, it was a different woman, not Satine. It would be the stupidest thing to let a new character emerge and say "I'm the secret love child of Satine and Obi-Wan" who was hidden from the world, even from his father (a la Luke until ANH). That's so unoriginal. Oh wait...

LunarMoth and Dra--- like this.
  2. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    You make a good point, but it's something that I can honestly see George writing down in his initial story treatments. "Again, it's like poetry. It sorta rhymes."

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If Obi-Wan had Obi-Wan spawn, I'd be much more into the notion if it happened on Tatooine and not secretly whilst he was still in the Jedi order. Tatooine years? Hey, I'm sure Obi-Wan did a LOT of stuff to keep from going completely bugaboo for 18 years. Including Jawas.

4. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Yeah but if we have to go back to Tattooine AGAIN in this new film I'm gonna be kinda pissed. I'm sick of that place! A brief mention of Tattooine will be fine and then if they wanna re-visit it in Episode 9 for some full-circle sort of thing then ok, but please no Tattooine in Episode 7! Save that room for new, more interesting settings.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, I think it'd be interesting if the kid was born on Tatooine and the Obi-Wan-granddaughter has worked her off the planet into the story proper. Then if they do an old Obi-Wan spin-off you can include him meeting a gal during his "sitting around the desert" years (which would give McGreggor a hellova lot to work with, dramatically).

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Really, REALLY not happy with this news!
    The big 3 have already had their 3 movies. They need to be regulated to Ben Kenobi/Uncle Owen/Aunt Beru status.

Let them move over for the next generation please!

Darth_Xeres and Big_Benn_Klingon like this.
  7. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    You Rebel Scum.

8. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    It's not what I personally want. What I was hoping for was to have the next generation as the main focus but still have the Big 3 in small but important roles. If people want more of them there's a plethora of books and comics out there with them. The ST should be a gateway to new and interesting ideas not just hauling the old crew out again for nostalgia. But in the end I'll still watch it no matter how things turn out.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Not, having them only have small roles would be using them only for nostalgia's sake. It sounds like JJ at least gives them a reason to be here and something important to do. The new cast will be the main focus of the next two movies. If we're really going to buy this "passing the torch" idea, then we need to see the old and new cast interacting A LOT. We need to see their dynamic really explored and see WHY the Big Three see these new people as worthy successors and you can't do that if they only appear in bits of the movie. Also, people are acting like the new cast won't do ANYTHING in this movie, and I don't agree with that. I'm sure that the new people will get plenty to do. The report merely states that the Big Three have bigger roles than originally intended, not that they'll dominate the film. That's just people jumping the gun.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    But according to the article, that's exactly what they're doing, except they're taking an extra film to do so...to presumably do it right.

11. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    People are making a big deal out of nothing.

Dra--- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Seeing Lando in Episode 8 would be fine, except lets keep in mind that Billy Dee Williams is turning 77 years old this year. That would have almost at, or over, 80 depending on when that episode is shot. We have no idea what kind of health he'd be in at that point, or if he'd still even be in the business.

Now obviously I hope Williams is in the vain of Christopher Lee, and healthy and working well into his elder years, but at that age this might not be the best time to take a chance if Landon is going to serve a crucial place in the story.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Making a big deal out of a vague rumor that could be interpreted a lot of different ways, or could just be BS altogether.

14. MasterSanders

MasterSanders Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2014
    I just wish they would do it right and include the EU.... I'll keep saying it till I'm blue in the face.... I think JJ should just say ok Lucas you had your shot now lets give other authors a chance to highlight their work.... At the very least when all the Rebels cartoons are over, which by the way I think is silly... We don't want to see more prequel stuff, give us after ROTJ! Give us the stories about what happens to Luke after burning his father, show us how Leia and Han get married, the stuff that I think most of us want to see...

If I'm speaking out of turn let me know, but I just think completely ignoring the EU is ridiculous and not following the timeline that we have all come to know and say is canon, as has Lucas made it all canon, if it's canon then make a movie about it... Quit trying to come up with new ideas and use the myriad of excellent stories that have already been written.... This frustrates me to no end.... I'll just continue to listen to NJO, Legacy, and FOTJ on audiobook imagining it in my mind wishing that they were movies... While I play KOTOR or Jedi Academy... At the very least make the EU into an awesome video game series... I mean wouldn't you love to start where ROTJ left off and just have game after game that followed the book series... Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be epic....

15. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    I just think that if enough Star Wars fans let their voices be heard in unity that we want to see the EU on film, tv, and/or video games that it would happen...

16. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    We're getting a new EU, one connected to the ST, that will fill the gaps between six, and seven, from new comics, books, tv series, spin off movies, tv shows, and specials, netflix series. It's going to be bigger than the last one, only this time, , it will begin after ROTJ, and continue to seven.
    The old EU was planned written, and plotted as if their would be no ST, because the editors, and authors didn't know their was going to be one.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda, Obi-Wan, Anakin and Palpatine, R2 and C-3PO still had pretty major roles in the OT from the PT. Sure they were seen first in the OT and not the PT but the point stands.
    Han, Luke and Leia will have decent-sized major roles in the ST. Its only logical.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Not everyone who likes the EU actually even want the films to follow them. Liking Expanded Universe products does not equal "The ST must follow the continuity of the EU".

19. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    With the new story group, the EU as it is now will stay EU, and thus not canon, forever. Rolling forward everything will share the one canon universe.

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    unless this aint going to be a trilogy, but a quadrilogy? 4 films. basically have episode VII be the big three send off but episodes 8 9 and 10 be about the new characters? whacky idea, i know.

21. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Uh, so Ep 6.5 then?

Im happy to see the "big 3" in supporting roles (and even luke in a Kenobi-esque supporting roll throughout the trilogy), but Im not interested in some moribund SW version of The Expendables. ROTJ was already the biggest "send-off" movie in the entire saga.. lol, it's one of the biggest "send-off" movies ever for that matter

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  22. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    Well honestly it just seems silly to have so many books that have already played out the story of these main characters and we all have grown accustom to saying Jacen and Jaina are Han and Leia's kids, and Luke marries Mara Jade, Luke establishes a New Jedi Order, etc... Now it's like they are just going to mess it all up and who knows what will happen... I just enjoy continuity and having everything match up... It makes me want to adhere to the TOS and have whoever gains the rights to the films make the Thrawn trilogy in the 90s, where you could use the original characters before they are all old having them continue to do the stunts that they did in the original trilogy, instead we are gonna have 60 and 70 year olds... I enjoy the storyline of the prequels but I know that they could have been so much better than they were using better actors and directors... I just don't want to see Star Wars become Lost where no one knows what in the heck is going on because it makes no sense and doesn't follow the EU... I like everything that JJ Abrams has done so far, but this is Star Wars and I don't want another PT... I just hope at the very least that they will use a lot of characters from the EU that we all know and love like Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Anakin, Jacen, Jaina, and Ben, etc... I just don't want them to completely change all the characters that I have grown to love the past years in the EU... Am I the only one who feels this way?

I feel that threats of violence are not OK, even as a joke, and it stops now. Consider this your only warning.

23. MasterSanders

Jan 2, 2014
    Here's something... Do you think Chewbacca will be in the ST?

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's more than likely it'd be 900% more confusing if Ep. 7 did follow the EU down to the exact arc and be set afterwards in the timeline.

Most def yup! As to not further derail this thread, check out the EU / Ep. 7 thread http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-universe-discussion-thread.50006159/page-343

Immortiss and TigerCraneFist like this.
  25. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I came here and made the same arguments, im a giant EU fan. But its something we have to accept, The movies aren't going to follow the novel storyline, and a lot of characters will be gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.