main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Republic Capital Ships - still sorting out the mess... (Fleet Junkies- HO!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thrawn McEwok, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
  2. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    "the idea of a Mon Cal/Corellian hybrid just seems ugly in so many ways"

check this ship I designed. Its a Mon Cal hull with Corellian engines and internal systems...

Redeemer

3. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    EEK! That republic Class is hideous!

4. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    I agree, it looks like what you'd get if you asked a Mon Cal to design a new class of Star Destroyer.

5. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    That...thing, is like a Mon Calamari Star Galleon Hybrid

6. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Anyway, We should get back on topic!

7. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Here's a pic of the Defender SD.

http://www.wizards.com/starwars/images/sotg_gallery/40153_GS.jpg

8. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, the so called Defender, It is probably meant to be a Nebula...lol
    Actually I've tried playing around with that pic before...didn't turn out so well!

9. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Actually, it's quite logical for the Republic SD to resemble a Mon Cal cruiser. We know Walex Blissex was working with the Alliance to build the A-wing; presumably with his vast experience in designing capital starships like the Victory Star Destroyer he was also present at the Mon Cal shipyards helping the Alliance design and build the MC80 series Star Cruisers. He likely crossbred some of the Mon Cal designs into the RSD when Rendilli StarDrive was given the contract.

Plus, ugly or not, it's an illustration from a canonical source, and until WoTC decides to redraw it in a publication, that's what an RSD looks like.

Despite earlier assertions made here, I have not seen any evidence that the Defender/Nebula design shares any design commonality for the RSD - they are built by two different corporations and have little or no similarity in hull design.

10. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
  11. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Yes, the Republic doesn't seem to have a common Heritage with the Defender/Nebula, but the weapons configuration is nearly the same...

12. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Likely because both were intended as smaller, cheaper replacements for the Imperial-class, thereby making the ISD the benchmark for armament. The RSD exceeds the ISD-I's firepower by 40% if I recall (although the ISD-II still outguns it) and the Defender/Nebula was intended to match the firepower of an ISD-II.

13. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Actually, according to the given stats, they have the exact same armament,(refer to page 1), which seems well, rather odd. I still suspect that the RSD has Interdictor capabilities or maybe more weapons.

EDIT
    The NSD has 8 concussion missile tubes, the RSD does not.

14. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    *has a headache*
    Perhaps it's cluster****s like this that caused the likes of Rogriss and Pellaeon to describe the New Republic fleet as a disorganized hodgepodge!

What we might just be dealing with is a situation in which several different companies or design teams were contracted to design a new 'middle-of-the-road' star destroyer, and munerous different types wound up getting commissioned on a limited basis. The Germans would up doing this in WWII--they had something like three different jet fighter prototype development teams.

So, you get a dozen Nebulas, ten Republics, fifteen Defenders, et cetera. That would explain why we don't see anywhere near the number of indigenous Republic designs--instead, we see the New Republic Navy/GFFA fielding a disproportionate number of vintage Galactic Civil War designs, including captured Imperial warships and Mon Calamarian heavy cruisers (the exeption being the new Mediator-class battlecruisers, they seem to be a successful design).

15. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    You could be right, but I thnik the NR navy was more than a hodgepodge. The classes probably complement eachother.

16. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    It seems unlikely to me. They're all so similar, that *I* couldn't justify buying them. And don't even get me started on the logistics of trying to maintain three similar but very different classes of destroyer. The service and support community would be up in arms.

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I was going to manufacture a thread like this, to generate discussion on these newer capital ships, but didn't want to cause another page in history like the Super Star Destroyer Wars.

18. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    That would explain it, actually... yeah, I like that one...

So whither the Defender? Because the Defender Project sure isn't a SD with a standard 40-turbolaser-canon specification...

- The Imperial Ewok

19. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I doubt any subject could cause as much strife as the SSD wars.

Probably because discussions of size were involved. [face_plain]

Check out this page and scroll down to the bottom for an interpretation of the Republic-class Star Destroyer made by The Saxman.

http://saxman.xwlegacy.net/Models.html

Also here's a 2D composite I made for this model a while back, using some EGVV scans.

Republic-class 2D composite

20. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    WOW! that looks somewhat like the sketches I have done, I my version though It Had a smaller lower interdictor lke tower and was a bit smoother Bit this easily beats that, canomonstosity

21. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Thing is, it looks ugly, but until WoTC says differently we live with it. Not to mention that the Threat Dossier pic is at an angle, so we can't really get a full-length view of the ship that would probably make it look less bulbous.

22. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    A few things... I always took it that the Mon Mothma was Mon Mothma-class. I imagined a very simple 'wartime' design without many complex chunks of detailing, with only a small hangar bay, and with a deep and broadly-flared main hull to accomodate the gravity-well generators. Not sleek, but smooth and graceful.

Don't ask me why... that's just the mental image I got when the Mon Mothma was introduced - seen from below, from an X-wing cockpit, and set against a sea of glittering stars...

Alternatively, the design may be based on the old Dominator-class... adapted from the ISD spaceframe, but now with a 'larger' hull enclosing the generators and providing a bigger hangar-bay...

And speaking of gravity-well generators, what happened to Hapan pulse-mass mines, anyway? Wouldn't they play havoc with yammosks?

As to the designs - hey, nice. But with regard to the Republic, would Rendilli really be using a KDY tower? And speaking of KDY, which shipyards designed which classes? And just who is "Republic Engineering" made up of?

Alion_Sangre: can't we just say that the partial invalidization of the Cracken's Threat Dossier illustrations (partly by WotC's Defender-class design, but partly by the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy itself - which part of 'shared spaceframes' didn't they understand?) means that we can label the whole series as an interesting aberration? I mean, the best-looking design of the lot, the frigate, looks like a Kazon Raider!

- The Imperial Ewok

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    EGVV has a comprehensive manufacturers' compendium. Very useful. Lacks the Strike Cruiser and Corellian Gunship, among others, but very good.

24. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    I am still inclined to think that the New Republic most likely (or at least, most intelligently) wouldn't have mass-produced three destroyers that are virtually the same in size and mission profile and yet require totally different logistical support systems. Mayhap several prototypes of each class were designed and fielded (since when most of them were introduced while the Republic was still at war with the Empire), but after the war, one was chosen for true mass-production?

25. Ton_G

Aug 15, 2002
    Yes I agree, maybe each had a specific task

RSD- Interdictor
    NSD- Standard
    DSD(if seperate)- Heavy Combat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.