main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Republic CONFIRMED [Battlefront Information]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tomifonication, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomifonication

Tomifonication Jedi Knight

Apr 20, 2014
  2. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I'm starting to suspect we might find a universe with a bunch of different factions, some working together and maybe at the same time at odds with each other, battling some sort of new world order, who may even be fighting against remnants of the old empire who have gone rogue so to speak. Who knows.....

Han Drolo, Rabs, Redimet and 4 others like this.
  3. Tomifonication

Apr 20, 2014
    I
    Absolutely inclined to agree. I suspect the Empire and New Republic exist as mostly peaceful (between each other) factors. The 'resistance' and 'First Order' suggests sects within these larger bodies.

TheBBP and Dak Oolron like this.
  4. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    It might be that after the fall of the Empire, a new government under the name New Republic tried to set itself up, but ultimately could not get together the planets of the galaxy, for whatever reason, and so it might exist as a very weak form of government, trying to gather power, but other factions have enough power to fight it, so a Resistance, with or without the consent of the New Republic, has formed to fight the New Order, which is probably the remnants of the old Empire trying to gather strength again and take over once more.

I can't wait to know the full story. December cannot get here soon enough.

Redimet, TheBBP and Dak Oolron like this.
  5. WannaBuySomeDeathSticks

WannaBuySomeDeathSticks Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    Still puzzled as to why JJ and company created a new desert planet in the outer rim. Thats infamous as Tatooine.

6. Tomifonication

Apr 20, 2014

Well, remember there's the book Aftermath and the comic Shattered Empire that'll be out in September! So you'll find out sooner than that.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

you know what'd be interesting?

if some "imperial remnants" were actually reformers (some of the bad guys in the OT secretly desired change) and we see the Resistance teaming up with former foes to fight the First Order. Could really spice things up especially in VIII and IX after we've been introduced to the conflict.

so they could basically have it set on Tatooine but be able to say "look we did something different" LOL

Pearlexative and Dak Oolron like this.
  8. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Tatooine, for all it's remoteness, really was NOT remote. For gods sake, a Hutt had his palace on that planet! Tatooine wasn't really an abandoned planet. It was bustling with crime and horrible things. It's basically the Detroit of planets. Jakku sounds like a similar place to live, except it's empty. It's a desolate planet. Maybe with a few small settlements. A perfect place to build a base, that was discovered, and destroyed. Since then, it's again retained that abandoned feel. People just aren't around on Jakku.

It's Detroit Vs a Spencerville Indiana. A person says they're from tatooine, and you know there experience. A person says they're from Jakku, and you say "where is that?"

Pearlexative and Dak Oolron like this.
  9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Eh its not Detroit, its more Vegas. Detroit is more Alderaan a powerful and important planet (city) brought to its knees in a much more dramatic matter.

10. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Alderaan wasn't brought to it's knees. It was blown up. Before that, it was a perfectly peaceful planet.

Although, Vegas is a better comparison. People in Vegas can still have normal lives. Luke obviously wasn't involved in gang violence, lol.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  11. Tomifonication

Apr 20, 2014

Comparing Detroit to Alderaan is possibly the greatest thing I've ever read on this forum. Although Alderaan is more of an Oregon in my books.

PymParticles and Dak Oolron like this.
  12. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    "key Imperial holdouts"

So the Empire doesnt exist anymore?
    Meaning, all the Imperial armies were destroyed?

This sounds like the new movie is going to have switched roles. The Resistance is going to be old Emperials fighting against the new systems that they view not that different from the old one. Or maybe it became corrupted and now Luke and his family are going to have to destroy it again and side this "Resistance."

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    well they're called the "resistance" in tfa so maybe they were called the "new republic" during that last galactic battle? i'd trust the stuff at celebration over the makers of battlefront though.

14. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    Fascinating most this information is.

So there was a New Republic! I wonder why TFA isn't starting out with the New Republic still in power. Hmm. Still, it's good to know the victory over the Empire in Ep 6 did amount to change in the SW universe. The Republic did return.

This is the best news I've heard about The Force Awakens. I was moaning about the lack of any significant change after ep 6. It felt as if Lucasfilm were ignoring/dismissing the defeat of the Empire but they haven't. Personally, I would have preferred the New Republic in the ascendancy at the start of TFA - perhaps peace was achieved - and then the Empire (or The First Order?) return and the balance of power is shifted but even if that isn't going to happen - clearly not! - it's great news knowing a New Republic replaced the Rebel Alliance. :)

15. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Wrong.

The props at Star Wars Celebration call the X-Wings "Resistance X-Wings". NOT New Republic X-Wings.

The Empire is the First Order.

I have pics for proof. haven't unloaded my camera.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  16. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Unload it!

I guess we have to wait for more story info. Cause the New Republic also being called the Resistance makes little sense if they are in control.

17. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

And the Battlefront official information says New Republic forces attacked the Empire at the Battle of Jakku, causing the ship graveyard we see in the film. If both are true, then maybe the New Republic is in place but small and the First Order and Resistance are separate groups fighting each other.

18. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012

Eh well I suppose if u look at it as a museum then what prospective ur naming it from matters. So if the Empire is writing it then calling the Rebels the Resistance makes some since.

It seem weird to have a New Republic only to fall again and become the Resistance but then again we are rehashing Order 66 so I guess its not that weird.

19. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    Hmm, a bit confusing! I suppose the SW universe could have splintered into factions. The only reason I'm doubtful is this might be a confusing narrative for Joe Public to take in when watching ep 7! I'd be happy with a scene where someone high up in the resistance says:

Leia could have the weight of disappointment heavy on her shoulders. Perhaps the New Republic made bad tactical mistakes and allowed the Empire to return? That could be an interesting post ROTJ scenario.

SW has always had a clear distinction between the heroes and the villains. If Abrams/Kasdan have gone a different approach - perhaps with factions on BOTH SIDES battling for supremacy, that would be a bold move. But there is a risk it could lead to a confusing narrative. But it's an interesting 'what if...' scenario. :)

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Eh the First Order Opens this movie massacring a village that is not ambiguous.

Toonimator likes this.
  21. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Looks like the New Republic fell apart at some point between the Battle of Jakku and TFA because at celebration the rebels are called the resistance not the New Republic.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Lol I cant believe it JJ really just re ran the past 30 Years of Star Wars to setup this movie. Order 66 and the Fall of the Republic Repeated..........I just cant.....

23. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Hmm... another possibility is that the Resistance is a rebellion inside the Imperial Remnant, and the First Order is a sect of the Imperial Remnant. The New Republic and Imperial Remnant have a peace treaty but the New Republic is looking at supporting the Resistance as fears about the First Order's rising power in the Empire grow.

24. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Yes, we have all seen the placards. You are talking a 30 year span of time. It could very well have been the New Republic and have fallen apart by the time TFA rolls around.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No offense but I kinda think the makers of Battlefront know what they're talking about. Just because there's a resistance doesn't mean there can't also be a New Republic. The resistance could be from inside First Order territory and funded by the New Republic. Lots of avenues are open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.