main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Republic Naval uniforms?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RogueWompRat, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"As for those uniforms that Wedge and co are wearing, I am not sure if they have been desribed in any other setting than that comic."<<

If you mean the first set then Starfighters of Adumar pretty much pegs them as the dress uniforms. The ones from Crimson Empire were a "one off" tho as you say.

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The white Dress Uniforms are for Starfighter Command. Naval Command uses the same jacket and sash, but I believe with a grey bodysuit under it. Navy Officers can also wear a dress version of their service uniform in place of the dress whites.

The outfit Wedge is wearing in CE may be a Naval service uniform, or perhaps a Starfighter Command service uniform. If the second is the case, then Naval Command likely uses the blue uniform as their service uniform.

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    *clears throat*

The white dress uniform is the dress uniform...

Actually, there's a fairly compelling argument to be made that they're still using the Lando/Madine uniform as late as Destiny's Way...

We still see this uniform pretty regularly after CoPL, and so it's a fair bet that it's the uniform Han wore - hence, the uniform he kept, which he still brings out occasionally as required...

So since it's still a NR General's uniform in DW... it's still a NR General's uniform in DW... :p

The CE uniform might just be a bizarre rendering of it, or else something that didn't catch on...

As to Kalenda's uniform - here's a thought; Madine wears blue, and Leia wears a blouse: ergo, Kalenda wears a blue blouse! :p

- The Imperial Ewok

4. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    What? That's what I said, unless I am reading this wrong.

Here's the relevant info from the SoA quote (pg 145) on the dress whites:

1. Designed by committee
    2. Black sleeveless turtleneck body stocking
    3. Black boots
    4. White V-neck jacket that fastened at navel level and below
    5. Red band on left hem, over shoulder and at angle down back
    6. Gold rank insignia over left breast on red hem
    7. Grey belt over jacket.
    8. Variations- Starfighter command uses black body stockings, Fleet Command preferred grey
    9. High ranking officers preferred and allowed to wear "somewhat costlier and better kept versions of their day uniform in formal circumstances."

5. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    No, you're right. I'm just trying to flag up evidence that the RotJ uniform remains the main "deck" uniform of the NRDF, perhaps until (or even after?!) the creation of the Alliance in DW...

... and presumably, a propos of your Point 9, that's the uniform that those senior officers favour smarter versions of for full-dress...

- The Imperial Ewok

6. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Ah. Makes sense.

Madine blue and tan as a day uniform for the Navy, dressier versin for formal events.

Wedge's triangle shoulder dress may be either a Starfighter command thing, or a push for a new uniform to complement the New Class standardization.

I really liked Madine's uniform.

The next question is the Hoth Rieekan uniform a seperate uniform, or simply the cold weather vairant of the Madine style?

7. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    The "Madine" uniform isn't just Madine's - Lando wears the same thing for the briefing and battle, only with tan where Madine shows blue... but Cracken seems to have tan as well - go figure! :p

Then again, Madine, for all that he's a commando officer, commanded from a Star Cruiser at Endor - I guess Storm Commandos had a multitasking thing going on, with their frigates and stuff... [face_thinking]

- The Imperial Ewok

8. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I like Madine, thus my naming the uniform for him :p

The command may have been a necessity, with the Rebel fleet being hard hit in the time leading up to the battle. They may have been short on command officers.

9. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Interesting that the Mon Cal is wearing the Ackbar uniform from ROTJ. Perhaps it's some sort of garment that keeps their skin moist?

10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I get the impression it's just their traditional navy uniform.

11. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    Any reason to assume it's not actually Ackbar?

12. RogueWompRat

Feb 15, 2003
    But then why is he wearing it when Wedge and the other crewers have switched over to a standardized uniform?

13. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Probably because Mon Cal physiology requires certain materials and cuts (look at their sleeves, and their forearms) that are so radical from the traditional that it is just easier to let them stick with what they had before. Besides, it's a concession to the species that provided most of the Rebel Fleet in the early days...

14. RogueWompRat

Feb 15, 2003
    Bingo. And perhaps that funky tunic is a means of retaining moisture.

15. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Nope. I reread what it said. Much more ambiguous. Its from Han's point of view and it said "Which might be a branch of the navy. Or might not be. Han wasn't up to date with all the uniforms"

16. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    *grins* That works. Do you have the whole quote?

- The Imperial Ewok

17. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    "She wore a dark blue uniform that might be one of the Republic Navy branches, but then it might not. Han was not up-to-date on what the navy was wearing these days"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.