main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Republic shipyards (NJO spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Roa, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roa

Roa Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2002
    With the Fondor shipyards destroyed and the ones at Bilbringi cut off the NR has only three shipyards left: Sluis Van, Mon Calamari, and Kuat. The shipyards at Mon Calamari and Sluis Van aren't very large and the one at Kuat is threatened by the Yuuzhan Vong fleet. A large portion of the New Republic's existing navy was destroyed at Coruscant and other battles. With their ship building capacities in such trouble will the New Republic navy ever be able to recover in time to defeat the Yuuzhan Vong?

2. Jedi Novaga Sage

Jedi Novaga Sage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 1999
    In other words, say..GOOD-BYE

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Mon Cal hasn't had a direct effect on the wars main front since before Balance Point. The New Republic effectively has two major shipyards left. But they're almost certainly spreading out and enlarging the industry. Instead of four or five gigantic shipyards, at this point they probably have thousands of large shipyards.

4. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Unless a large portion of the Vong Fleet becomes disabled very soon. We saw the seeds of this in DJ. Nen Yim spoke of how every World Ship is dying. We can assume that any ship not built or bearthed in the GFFA is dying as well. Also we musn't forget the Shamed Ones. They may be the salvation of the galaxy.

5. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Two points, first the New Republic had about half of it's fleet at Coruscant. It got ripped up pretty bad but it gave the Vong alot more punishment then they took. Second, Tsavong has not only said that the Vong fleet is spread very thinly across the galaxy, but also that the cost of taking Coruscant was much too high. This leads me to believe that dispite the New Republic's losses, the Vong at this point in time are somewhat vunerable. I'm guessing the "furious fighting" against the Vong in the TPB's this year are going to effectively stall the Vong advance. The turning point of the war will then come in Destiny's Way.

6. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I'm with Gandolf on this one. I am sure that there are thousands of shipyards around the galaxy that are producing warships now, not just the big ones.

7. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Even if there were thousands of small shipyards, wouldn't their relatively meager sizes slow production time drastically? i mean, it takes what 8 mos to build a star destroyer at kuat? those vong ships better be in dire shape or it's lights out time.

8. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I've also got to wonder if the entire planet of Kuat might decide to follow their senator's lead and jump ship. This would leave the New Republic with only one major shipyard. That seems to suggest a new target for the YV. Just a thought.

9. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Not that I've compiled a list or anything, but I still think there are lots of major shipyards around. What about Corellia? Tapani Sector has at least two major shipyards. There's also one at Wroona. Lianna should have one or more major shipyards. The Bothans presumably have their own shipyards (Bothan Assault Cruiser build-up) - and we don't know how many shipyards that they have. The Hapes Consortium has at least two that have been named/implied prior to the events of Dark Journey - and Dark Journey implies even more. It wouldn't surprise me to see another shipyard in Darpa Sector. Previous sources have indicated that Kuat doesn't limit their shipyards to the Kuat system - so who knows? If you go down the list of starship manufacturers in The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels AND the various guides to Starships by West End Games and Wizards of the Coast - there's lots and lots of major manufacturers out there - these various manufacturers MUST have shipyards SOMEWHERE!!! The list can potentially go on and on . . .

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've also got to wonder if the entire planet of Kuat might decide to follow their senator's lead and jump ship. This would leave the New Republic with only one major shipyard. That seems to suggest a new target for the YV. Just a thought.

I find it VERY unlikely that Kuat, a highly techonological world with highly specialized technical facilities in orbit, would jump ship to the Vong despite what the Vong may promise. Everyone knows of the Vong anti-technology feelings by this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.