New review of Wizards Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Bacabachaui, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I received a sneak peek of WotC's brand new Star Wars Trading Card Game. Read the review here in TFN's new Star Wars TCG section!
  2. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
    You can catch a great spoiler of the rare padme here

:p
  3. Darksbane Jedi Knight

star 1
    Great review, really in-depth. So it looks as if the dice are manageable, thats good to hear. :)
  4. Varsmkm Jedi Padawan

do you have the site for the padme card
  5. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
  7. Varsmkm Jedi Padawan

still says no accces, wat are the stats
  8. netcowboy Jedi Knight

Thanks for the great review! I can't wait to play this game! It's going to be so much fun!!!
  9. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
    Gee, Netcowboy- that sounded pretty forced.
  10. netcowboy Jedi Knight

No man, it was sincere. With all due respect to the fans who are losing a great game, I haven't seen a game that looks this fun in a long time!
  11. JediKunigt Jedi Padawan

I will definitely reserve final judgement until I've played it a few times, but despite the fact that the reviewer thinks it captures the feel of the battles in SW, what about all the other facets to the wonderful and exotic universe Lucas has created? Battling is not the only thing I want to do, and though it may be fun, if that's all you can do the game has crippled itself right from the get go IMO. Trying to be open minded about it.......just having a hard time getting excited about this game. I really do hope I'm pleasantly surprised though, and only time will tell.....
  12. netcowboy Jedi Knight

Hi JediKunight! A group of us asked this question during a chat with Star Wars TCG Game Designer Richard Garfield at wizards.com/chat. We asked about non-battle story elements such as 'saving the princess' etc. Mr. Garfield's answer (as I understand it) was 1) that the game is built to be able to add future mechanics that will create a richer 'story' environment and 2) that the existing 'mission cards' bring in elements of the non-epic-battle background story to the game. (One card that we know of that does this is 'Jedi Council Summons') You can read the complete transcript of the chat by follwing this link! I have described my answer to your question in my own words. You may interpret Mr. Garfield's answers differently, but I think I understood it. ;)
  13. JediKunigt Jedi Padawan

Guess last time I should have started with a "Hi everyone!"......sorry about that. And Netcowboy, thanks for the reply and the link. I agree with your interpretation of RG's answer. The missions do sound interesting. We'll have to wait and see how they're pulled off I guess. I don't think it's fair to compare Decipher's game w/ this new one, so don't think I'm bashing here; One of the things I loved about the SW:CCG was the grand scope of the epic events and objectives (blowing up the Death Star in particular), because the rewards/damage to your opponent were great. Admittedly these rewards got better as the game continued to develop with new expansion sets. The new game is won by controlling 2 out of the 3 arenas IIRC, and as such, is once again limiting. I suppose the rewards for completing missions could be bonuses of some sort to all units in one or more arenas, which in turn would lead to your units beating down the opponent faster. In the end though, it just doesn't have the scope and depth of strategy because of the "beat up on opponent until I have more units in 2 arenas" theme. I'm probably judging a book by it's cover though, as Decipher's game doesn't look all that fun on paper either. I just hope that some creative design goes into these future missions so that you are really drawn into the SW universe. I'm not sure how that's possible since your units never get to "move" to different locations a la SW:CCG, but that's why I just play the games and leave the designing to the designers. :)

enough for now, I actually gotta get back to work, hehe.
  14. Achtung_Bubba Jedi Knight

star 1
    Personally, as a fan of strategy games (Risk, Axis & Allies, etc.), I suspected that the game would be fun.

I'm glad to see my hopes are not entirely unfounded.

In other words...

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

:D
  15. Masterlucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm becoming more optimistic about this new game.

I've already been on record stating that this game will not be as great as SWCCG, but it does sound potentially fun. Let's face it there were a lot of deck designs that were not fun to play against (force choke, manipulation) that stopped you from playing the game. This simpler mechanic may prevent that type of cheese ruining your day.

The key is how they can continue to add to it to diversify the gameplay and strategy. The YJ mechanic was just too simple and Decipher was unable to keep building on it enough to save it in the end, hopefully WoTC can avoid that problem.
  16. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    If anyone is wondering, Yes I am the one that wrote the review. Aaron Brogdon and "Bacabachaui", my screen name, are one and the same.
    For anyone who was thrown off by the way I opened this discussion in a headliner fashion I apologize for the confusion.
  17. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    have you joined TF.N as part of the CCG/TCG team?
  18. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Yes. Red84 invited me to be a reporter for the SWTCG news on the CCG section.
    The reason for my above clarification is that I had written the Jedi Council topic as a means to notify people of the review on the new SWTCG page while trying not to sound as if I was boasting.
    It looks like this caused some confusion for some who thought I was intentionally hiding the fact that "Bacabachaui" and Aaron were the same person. I have been very supportive of SWTCG as news has been coming out, and some feel I am biased to SWTCG, which I am not. I sincerely like it very very much! :)
  19. Ocelot_X Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've recently become slightly more optimistic about SWTCG for one main reason: my newfound obsession with dice, and the rolling thereof. I still see the game as being at best a "CCG lite" like YJ or JK and not my main CCG like SWCCG or LotR, and I'm still dubious about the strategic value of dice, but as objects to amuse myself with, dice have recently shot way up (no, I'm not on anything, I just like dice dammit!). On the other hand, maybe i'll just stick to craps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.