main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Saber Idea!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Fred_B, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidKeener

DavidKeener Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2003
    I am going to agree as well with Funk. Yoda was almost a Jedi Lord before he died. I was very shocked by the display of fighting that he was protrayed in. Another comment on Chow Yun Fat is very true and that a real master of his art should not be taking a long time to kill or subdue someone.

2. Fred_B

Fred_B Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2003
    OK HERE ARE THE PICTURES. Well it doesnt have the my origional concert, only an example of what it would look like,, its kinda similar, maybe with the size of darth mauls hilt.
    Click Here!!!

3. DavidKeener

Sep 17, 2003
    Very interesting Fred. You could certainly have a strange encounter with a lightsaber like that. However, it wouldn't be logical in terms of realistic fighting as it would make the user too slow to move, even for a Jedi no matter their rank, because of it's massive length comparative to normal saber-staves.
    I like your idea though, for film it would be an interesting concept.

4. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    i just dont see whats so special about it. The lady saber is just a regular saber with an increased blade length, and the second is just a slightly longer double edged-ish saber with only one side ignited and increased blade length.

And Chow Yun Fat and Jet Li rules!
    And I agree with the yoda thing. They should have had Yoda fight more calmly and effortlessly like Chow Yun Fat to show true matestery.

I mean, he said "Much to learn you still have" And then what does he do? He just continues fighting the same way Dooku fights.

5. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    This is an excellent point about Yoda's fighting style. Maybe he's showing that he can fight just like Dooku and still beat him, and Dooku knows that if Yoda shows his true fighing skill he'll get wasted and that's why he cheats.

6. rogue_09

Jul 2, 2003
    I threw this together to show what our idea was. In actuality the person would have gloves of some sort on, but I just grabbed the first stick I could find, a drumstick in this case and shot this.

[image=http://boomspeed.com/its_amazing/saberstaff.jpg]

7. krillindb

krillindb Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    You could use cortosis gloves. But correct me if i'm wrong but i thought it could only withstand a few hits from a saber before it breaks down. You would have to have gloves as thick as your head to wield it for any length of time. And where would the blade emit from? Just a thought.

8. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    yeah, but the saber has to have somthing to ignite from. It can just ignite from air.

And if I recall, yoda didnt win. It was a draw. Dooku escaped. Even though he cheated by using obi wan and anakin.

9. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    The Schwartz.

10. rogue_09

Jul 2, 2003
    I explained how it works to hold the saber in a previous post (no, cortosis will not work.) As for the emitter, I think the final verdict was the emitter is inside the blade and the blade is actually two beams that project out then loop back on themselves and go the other way, therefore overlapping and covering the emitter.

Yeah, that's hard to understand, maybe I'll sketch a quick blueprint of how it works.

11. Fred_B

Fred_B Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2003
    Well the whole point is to fight from a distance, and yes it will put on a show, its the only thing its really good for... or if you watch the kung fu movies the staff vs. the sword is a spank around weapon meaning that it could the swordsman loose balance because of the deflection it creates.... its just a thought btw.
    - goes the saber glove thing... i had idea that the hilt ccould move up and down the beam or it has "active switching" which the hilt moves where ya want it

12. qui-gundi_15

qui-gundi_15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    you know what i want to see.

if you've ever played knights of the old republic i want to do like vybro-blades vurses lightsabers.

i think that lightsaber to lightsaber is getting old i need more action.

13. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Keener, you post about his extra-long staff being slow is quite incorrect. Due to the extra length, the tip of the long saber will be able to move much faster than any conventional saber blade.

What must be recognized with this type of weapon is that in close range it is very limited. Much better for group battles I believe.

I'm liking this discussion of Yoda's fighting style. To be fair, Mace's style in the movie was a lot smoother and restrained than Yoda's. Given Yoda's size though, perhaps the kind of restrained mastery we seek would have made little sense.

Edit: Can someone please tell me what a "vybro-blade" is?

-Spiff

14. DavidKeener

Sep 17, 2003
    Thank you for that clarification. A vibroblade is a metal weapon with a handle that creates small microvibrations within it making it able to smoothly slice through living tissue at least that's what I've read.

15. rogue_09

Jul 2, 2003
    Yep, thats about right, DK.

And a vibroblade would be useless against a lightsaber. The saber would cut through it like anything else.

16. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Responses to various posts:

I don't think 4 years of anything makes you a master - and I don't think sparring experience justifies your statement

I never claimed to be a master. However, I'm far more experienced in using short swords and broadswords (which the style for is much more similar than a rapier, foil or epee) than probably anyone else on these boards. I've trained specifically with these types of weapons. As for actualy use, we're using wooden weapons that have the same weights as real swords and our matches are full contact. Head shots are legal. I've also fought in very large group battles. Most recently this July with over 200 other participants.

Keener, you post about his extra-long staff being slow is quite incorrect. Due to the extra length, the tip of the long saber will be able to move much faster than any conventional saber blade.

Actually, you're both right and both wrong. While the tip of the weapon would be moving faster, it's angular velocity will be lower. It's simply going to take longer to bring around due to the fact that it's heavier. That's what he means by slow.

Personally, that's why I disliked Yoda's fight scene in AOTC. It seemed completely uncharacteristic..I would have though Yoda would have a maximum-effect, minimum-effort style of fighting, rather than turning into a silly-looking green top.

Well put. Another point on the Yoda fight is that Yoda never gets close enough to hit Dooku. I don't know what his intent was but it obviously wasn't to hit Dooku in any way. The best chance he got was when he jumped over Dooku's shoulder and he chould have just chopped off Dooku's head, but instead, he decided to bounce off a wall.

17. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Kung-fu staffs are often used with very limited angular movements - you keep your opponent(s) at bay with the range, and hence you are never deflecting strikes really close. When opponents do move in close, you end up rotating your body around the center of mass of the blade - which is about 2 feet away from you, and the tip of the blade stays relatively still. Hence, large angular movements aren't that much of an issue - and when done, they are much larger sweeps than convential swords would use. Using this type of weapon is no more complicated than using a maul-like saber or a sword. It is however, a very different weapon - and expertise in sword technique would be practically useless. It is really more like a spear than anything else.

Your comment about the weight is not entirely applicable, as the angular speeds attained will be determined by the strength of the user in combination with the weight.

Oh, and don't be too confident in your experience with weapons - there are a lot of people on this board who have been around longer than you (I refer to your age, not your experience). Regardless of my time spent with weapons (about 7 or 8 years), I have found the most valuable training is in classical martial arts (13 to 14 years) and the mental developments that occur at senior levels.

-Spiff

18. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    Ahh... ok... before we get into a *cough*skillpissingmatch*cough* let's go back the the issue of the weapon design...

Way before I met with ChronFX and Spiffy here I was vaguely considering doing my own fanfilm. The evil guy I'd have (a Sith guy trained to kill off rouge Dark Force users) wouldn't use a saber. Rather he'd have a staff that was saber-resistant, either due to the fact that it was a Cortosis alloy or had a 'gravitic' shield.

The visual catch was that it wouldn't have been saber-PROOF, his style would have been to avoid the saber like in Jodo:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/8187/Tanjo.htm

He'd kill folks simply by impailing them. No the points would not have been sharp <insert crunching sound>. During the course of the fight saber scars would be visible on the staff, like in the Lien/Jen fight in CTHD.

Later on I kinda twisted this idea around to have a 'Zatochi' style cane-saber, ie a light saber in one hand and a cortosis alloy staff in the other.

Feel free to use or ignore these ideas. I'm gonna do some 'real' Zatochi swordplay in my non-Star Wars film project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.