main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Saber Idea

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Okay, first off... if anyone uses this idea God help me, I will hit them an EMP wave so powerful their neighbor's refrigerator won't work for a week.

Recently, I came across an interesing new idea for a saber (to attempt to break the monotomy of singe, two sided, or duel wield combos in every film). My idea is to take a curved weapon like the one you can seen here but reverse it and carry two of them. That way the wielder can strike down the oponent's lightsaber with the curved ends and attack more viciously, while looking good doing it.

So, how would you rotoscope one of these? Would you make it look like a normal saber except curved. Or how about a moving blue fire for the blade?

What do you think of the weapon, and what are your comments on the idea of using it as a lightsaber?

2. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    just my $.02:
    um, i think the fire thing would be tacky and rotoscoping would be kinda hard, you'd have to use the polygonal lasso to do it, also, i dont think that a weapon like that is even possible if it used the same mechanism as a regular saber, but go ahead, if you want to make an FX test like that, 'sup to you!

3. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    How about keeping most of the weapon metal and then just rotoscope the leading edge?

Have fun.

4. LordFrisian

LordFrisian Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    Hmm, I'm obviously in danger now ;-)

I had been thinking about doing a spoof, taking "curved lightsaber" (see "Dooku") literally.
    Maybe you're lucky and I'll be too busy this weekend :)

5. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    Not to sound rude, but isn't it a little much to demand that no one steal your idea? Obviously you stole the idea from Warcraft III, why do you really care if someone else uses it? Fan Films are all about stealing ideas.. we steal George Lucas' ideas, make up our own, steal ideas from other movies that we enjoy and make a film. It's really not necessary to threaten others.

6. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    yeah, ben's right,
    not that i care, personally, i don't think it's an idea good enough to be worth fighting someone for because you think they "stole" it.

7. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    not necessary to threaten people huh, well ben, if you say anything like that again i will destroy you! :p

If I use it, then you can steal my idea all you want... after the film comes out! I have been looking hard for something to break the mold a bit, because the same weapons are getting old.

I like the idea of rotoscoping just the tip, that would look much better. A flowing flame effect would probobly be the best looking but would be nearly impossible to create.

Thanx for your comments! any others?

8. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Hahaha! Thats funney! If you can explain how the blade can curve than maby but it doesn;t work in my mind.
    The idea of using a curved metal blade and making the leading edge glow is cool though.

SWmaster

9. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Ya, I would have to come up with some sort of excuse for how it would work, but that wouldn't me a problem, like the beam of energy is focused over the leading edge of the blade instead of being just by itself.

10. LordFrisian

LordFrisian Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    In the SW-universe, I wouldn't bother about the explanation for *anything*.

(Though I have to admit that I like Star*Trek*, too ;-)

11. Quinlan_Voss

Quinlan_Voss Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2002
    uh....I HATE that idea!
    a curved handle is one thing, anda good idea because the premiss of Dooku's sabre is that its a one handed, light(er) weight sabre.

While Star Wars is fantasy, Mr. Lucs has always stayed with in the limits of physics with (of course) the acception, of the Jedi.

A curving blade of raw energy is not possible. But like someone else said It'd be neat to see in an FX test. So giver..EH!!!

12. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

I've had an idea for a double bladed "fork like" saber for years. I would go something like this:

~EDIT~
    Ughh. I couldnt make a working pic. basically, it would be a regular hilt, with two prongs sticking out on the side (Kind of like sai without the middle prong). The two blades come out of the prongs, that are side by side. It would be used for more powerfull strikes, better defense, and used to disarm the opponent. I'll try to get something to illustrate it...

13. darkmouse

darkmouse Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2002
    Saber_Holder, I came up with that too. Except the one I originally thought of had three blades like a devil thingy, and then I thought about using one with four. it'd take extra time rotoscoping though.

14. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    There is a very simple reason why lightsabers are not curved. First off it would be an extra step in making them and secondly they don't need to be curved. The whole point of putting a curve into a blade is to give it greater cutting ability. Lightsabers can cut through nearly anything and the cutting edge is effectivly 360 degrees.

My two cents. :)

15. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Once, I thought of a slightly curved blade like a katana, but I'm nowhere near doing it. Did you know that if that thing were turned around, it'd look like a Klingon weapon? Don't EMP me buddy, OK?

16. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i dont think it would be to hard to rotoscope, but to create it in real life would be the challange

17. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Many times, I had thought of having a curved blade, but then I realized that there will need to be something at the end, curving the light. Impossible.

But it is a tempting idea

18. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    I might not be impossible if there was some kind of device in the middle causing the ends to bend curved shaped

19. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Thanks to Various for pointing out the fact about curved blades. ::raises glass to Various:: Cheers!

I think TOO many variations have been presented...having vast assortments of lightsabers (ie. double, triple, saber "armor", curved, etc etc etc...) just gets a little much for me. I think lightsabers are fine the way they are...no need to get creative with something that's already the highest developement of a sword.

It IS an interesting design...to look at. Not to fight with though. Too restrictive.

Anyway...do the folks at the website for the "Sins of the Jedi" fan film know that you used their pic of "Vader with Chicks"? Just curious...are you at all involved with that film, or just borrowing their work?
    Couldn't help but wonder...

--Kai

20. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Kai - No, I stole their work, it is the just about the most halarious thing I have ever seen. I forgot where I got it from so I couldn't cite the source... I put it up for a previous post about a week ago, I should take it down, thanx for reminding me. For the record 'Divergence' has absolutely nothing to do with Darth Vader, or hot chicks in revealing costumes it is set 10,000 years prior to the events of Episode I.

Now, even though the weapon has its limitations its purpose is to
    1) look good on camera
    2) be used in saber vs. saber combat, where the curvature can be used to control a straight saber and push it out of the way so death is quicker.

and I know it is technically infeasable but then again so is light speed according to our best scientists and mathmaticians.

21. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Well, from a fighting/coreography point of view, the weapon is not advantageous over a plain old boring saber. And the curve will do nothing to "control" your opponents weapon. That's usually at the forefront of my mind...I'm a swordsman, and I look at swordplay of any kind in film with a very serious and critical eye...

It does have the "it would look cool on camera" thing going for it...I'll certainly give you that...

--Kai

22. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    I have respect for any swordsman, I myself practice Jeet Kune Do, but swords are not used in self defense these days. The closest thing to a sword I have used is a 3/4 inch dowel rod, so I only look at sword fights from my limited weapons training and cinimatic points of view.

23. Quin-Dara-Ken

Quin-Dara-Ken Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    In the spirit of Austin Powers: Gold Member

Ausrin:[pointing with finger] SUCKS!... don't say sucks

Foxxy: Austin

Austin: I said it sucks.

Foxxy: shhhh

Austin: Sucky sucky sucky

Mole:it's ok you have to let it all out.

Austin: your idea sucks so bad I want to shred it to pieces and make it into guacamole!

Mole: Better?

[Austin starts poking his idea with a stick]

24. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    In the spirit of Full metal Jacket
    Lee Emery: How tall are you Quin-Dara-Kin

Quin-Dara-Kin: 5' 10" sir

Lee Emery: Sweet God! I didn't know that piled **** that high.

25. darkmouse

darkmouse Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2002
    Hahaha. funny stuff.

That was a good one whisperingdeath!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.