main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Saber Idea

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    Haha, swearwords and I'm bumping it! HIL-arious! Of course that warez comment made by that one kid hasn't got locked yet. I guess the admins are on holiday.

Thanks, Kai.

You know, weapon inovation is okay but you need to consider two things; is it just has functional as what is available and does it give some advantage?

Despite how many duels we see in fanfilms, in the offical story duels are rare. Jedi mostly use their sabers to deflect laser bolts. So we can rule out the "saber-sai" because they're too short, you'd have to bend down everytime someone shot at your feet.

Lightsabers constrict where you can grip the weapon. I've seen the "saber-chuck" video and while looking awsome isn't too practical. Ever seen some of Bruce Lee's outtakes? The guy was a recognized master of the weapon and even he still missed a beat and would end up koncking himself rather badly from time to time.

I know, I know. "But a Jedi can use the force to keep from screwing up like that!" Yeah but that's more of his concentration being taken away from fighting the other guy with the saber and no other distractions.

The lightsaber is about as good as it gets. It fufills all of the needs of the user but this doesn't mean you can't think up new stuff. There just has to be a reason for it.

In my story (haven't got to the part yet) I've been playing with the idea of making a 'shield.' It would work by not physically blocking the saber but reflecting it somehow so when you hit it (or try) it bounces the sword back. Well, I don't know how too feasable it is. I've been going over it with a brainy friend who knows more about this stuff than I. I just thought it would be cool if I had a Jedi using the really fast and really dangerous sword and buckler style that was really popular in Venice.

Oh well, I'm done. :)

2. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I agree with all that you have said various, my weapon idea is probobly less likely to suceed in battle against a standard lightsaber.

However, I also recognise that people are tired of seeing the typical saber combos. In my opinion the point of a fan film is to entertain, and I think the new weapon would entertain well.

I guess it is all about how you view films, thank you for all your comments guys, you have been great help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.