main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New SaberGlows to the ROTS Trailer.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Mae, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Hey everyone.

I thought since there are a lot of people arguing and disappointed over the ROTS sabers, I might as well pull out a clip from it, and add my glows.

This was pretty fun, and I suggest if anyone needs video to practice rotoscoping, add this to the list.

YouSendIt is always very tricky, so I'm not sure how long this will be available. Let me know if there are any problems downloading. I think the cores may have become 'bulgy' from the compression, but I don't know.

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0IECATHK4ZE7O1CQD6M7NQWK9S

Questions, comments. Feel free to post.

EDIT: If I have some more time, I'm going to finish most of the other saber clips.

SAMPLE COMPARISON
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/DavidAdametz/COMPARE2.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/DavidAdametz/COMPARE1.jpg]

2. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Yeah, those are a bit thick.

You coulda punched up the glow really. Did you keep your base core layer in on that? Cause if you did.. they already have a core and that'll thicken it right up.

Just toy around with it, I guess.

3. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    Hm. Still- the ILMs still look more "inside the scene".

4. Xeres

Xeres Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2004
    After watching the trailer- I think the sabers where not too bad. But come on, ILM invented them. How can ppl say "mine are better!" Looking at the two pics above: I like ILM's. Less glow sharpens it- making it look clean.

5. Mae

Nov 25, 2004
    Hey Xeres

I do understand where you are coming from. I'm not here to tell people that this is how they should look, or that mine are better than ILM.

I'm not labeling what is good and bad about the lightsaber. This is just how I would go about creating them. It's just my opinion and my perspective on it.

6. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    But when you DO alter the way ILM does them and show how you would do them you DO say yours are better than ILM´s.

7. Xeres

Xeres Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2004
    I guess it's filmmaker preference :) But when creating a fanfilm u normally aim for the true and true from that fanable film ;)

8. Mae

Nov 25, 2004
    Yep.

9. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    The actual "ILM Sabers rock/suck" debate should be kept in the other thread (ILM Rotoscopers Finally On The Right Track?) where the argements are flaming on, and this thread should be kept to reactions to Mae's clip specifically.

10. BrandonFlyte

BrandonFlyte Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2004
    RIPLEY426, ILM blows at creating things that are supposed to look bright, i.e. lightsabers. It's common-FX-person-sense that ILM's lightsabers lack realism because they're

1) too sharp
    2) in need of a soft whiteish glow directly around the core
    3) lame

I think Mae's cores are a bit too fat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.