main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New San Jose Fanforce Members, check in here!

Discussion in 'Archive: San Jose, CA' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Sep 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tikkigod

tikkigod Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2004
    Name: Chris
    Locale: Gilroy

I'll spill the beans on a bit more later.

2. loocie

loocie Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2004
    Greetings, locals!

Name: Laura
    SW Related Interests: The movies, Legos, my son's new Ask Yoda (cracks me up!)
    Non-SW Related Interests: gardening, minor home improvement jobs, enjoying my son growing up
    How did you get started on SW: Always loved the movies - but when my son got E1 and Jango's Slave 1 Lego set, we were both hooked! Just got him a Master Replicas Mace Windu FX Lightsaber for XMas - awesome! Can't wait for 5/19!

3. Kronos

Kronos Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Name: Dave
    SW Related Interests: I am a huge Starwars RPG Guy. Video games, movies, card games ect.
    Non-SW Related Interests: Rock climbing, fencing, real estate,
    How did you get started on SW:

4. JediTristan

JediTristan Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Name: Renelle
    Location: south San Jose (living in Santa Cruz though, as I go to UCSC)
    SW Related Interests: fan fiction, EU, nitpicking the movies, trailer-watching.

5. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Name: David

SW Related Interests: Natalie Portman,Lightsabers, Choreography, Cinematography and Natalie Portman. Oh, and did I mention Natalie Portman?

Non-SW Related Interests: Drummer for 10 years. Amateur film-maker, majoring in film at SJSU.

How did you get started on SW: It all started at my aunt's house when my uncle (crazy SW fan) was watching Empire Strikes Back. I loved it. The most visual moment was when Luke lost his hand. I never forgot it. A few years later, still under the age of 10, I called my aunt back to ask which film it was when Luke lost his hand. I can still remember hearing my mother's vaccum buzzing and drowning out my telephone conversation. I found the clip and went on to enjoy Star Wars from here on out.

6. spdorsey

spdorsey Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Hello

I'm organizing the lineup for Star Wars: Episode III at the Century 21/22 theaters in San Jose, CA. Everyone is invited.

You all may read the latest news regarding the line at:

http://www.dorseygraphics.com/starwars

I'm posting important information there as it becomes available. If you have any questions or would like to contribute, you may contact me from that website.

Thanks, and enjoy!

--------------------------S

7. Baldwyn_Fett

Baldwyn_Fett Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    Name: Baldwyn
    SW Related Interests:
    Non-SW Related Interests: Motorcycles, skydiving, guitar, piano, woodworking, film
    How did you get started on SW:
    Saw ANH when I was 8, and it was in my blood ever since. My parents didn't buy me a single toy, so I had to make my own out of Lego (and had to paint my Lego black to make Darth Vader). When the new toys came out, I began as a completist, but it's been too hard to keep up. I'm a Han Carbonite collector, and like things Boba Fett, now. I also like to customize/sculpt but it's been awhile since I finished a project :)

8. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Name: Michael
    SW Related Interests: Costuming, Conventions, Collecting (C3, ironically). Been doing costuming a long time. I typically wear Lord Sidious at Baycon. I play a lot of SW Galaxies as well as all the other SW games. Been a fan since the Star Destroyer first cruised overhead in 1977. Got the original program (and no, I'm never selling it). Really kicked into high gear when I met my wife back in 1984.

Non-SW Related Interests: There are other interests? Ah, well, Disney films/parks, other Sci Fi costumes and conventions (B5 "Koza" costume), as well as reading, writing, and keeping the cats fed. Used to work haunted houses, living history, etc, etc.

We're looking for other SW members who are local to the "other side of the hill", basically the Santa Cruz area. If you are there, drop me a pm and let me know.

Oh, and those who could not get in to see it in San Jose, you can catch it at the smaller screen in Scotts Valley. The tickets don't seem to be selling too quick there, and the crowds are typically elsewhere. So, see it there the second, or third time on the fly, and forget the lines at the Century.

See you at the movie (or the conventions)!

9. Dragonfish

Dragonfish Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Name: Chetan
    SW Related Interests: Games
    Non-SW Related Interests: Astronomy (especially Jovian planetology), nad playing the piano
    How did you get started on SW: My father introduced me to "The Empire Strikes Back" when I was about 4.

10. gladgal

gladgal Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    Name: Debbie

SW Related Interests: Soundtracks - absolutely LOVE the John Williams music!!! Books, especially the non-fiction "Making of...", "Art of...", etc., T-shirt junkie... TESB is my fav of the Star Wars films.

Non-SW Related Interests: Travel, cats, historical and SciFi/fantasy epics like LOTR, Braveheart, Gladiator.

How did you get started on SW: Well I've been a Star Wars addict since seeing the original (ANH) back in June of 1977. My family was on an extended summer vacation back east (we drove) and my sister and I saw it with my dad's cousin's son & a bunch of his friends in Peoria, Illinois - I came out totally awestruck! When we got back to San Jose, we coerced my parents, friends and whoever we could to go see it again and again at the San Jose Century theatres on Winchester. Never been the same since... Now my oldest niece and nephew are Star Wars addicts - of course, I guess had a little something to do with that! My niece is especially a Natalie Porter fan, and my nephew is really into the computer games - in fact, he is currently studying computer game programming at The Art Institute in San Francisco and dreams of working for LucasArts.

Anyway, that's my info for now... I'm looking for some fellow Star Wars fans to talk with and/or meet with in person... It's rather pathetic, but I only just saw EP3 yesterday for the first time, and I ended up going by myself...

Debbie
    ...looking for SW friends in San Jose...

11. MasterJedi_BaelVer

MasterJedi_BaelVer Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Name: Jezus Cisneros
    SW Related Interests: Everything and Anything
    Non-SW Related Interests: Tennis, Dating, Massaging, Friesbee, Computer, Counter Strike, Comedy Movies and everything good in life lol.
    How did you get started on SW: When I was like 6 I saw the first one and dreamed of a world in the SW universe and have had hopes ever since. I play most games and watch movies. I have a dream which will come true someday to build a Droid Army. sounds corny but I promise you I will do it. I also looking for a girl with the same interest hopefull I will find her but hey they are many Calamari in the sea.

12. kirky

kirky Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Name: Kirk

SW related interests: the films, music, action figures, forums, background stories (i read a serialization back home of one of the oT which explained Palpatine's rise to power)

Non SW interests: music, especially jazz and sci fic/fantasy and horror original score i.e. jerry goldsmith, john williams, i could go on and on. Star Trek, I like the movies featuring the original crew among the TV series I think Voyager was the best, books, anything horror movies or thrillers.

How I got started: I saw the original screening of ANH back in 1977 I was I think 10 or 11 in a crowded moviehouse together with the whole family back home (Philippines) and from then on I was hooked. I can still remember the awe that I held all throughout the movie. I can still remember who i was with on every movie of star wars from then on. Like I was with a classmate when i saw Return of the Jedi and with a my best bud when O saw Phantom Menace (he ruined ot to me by telling me that Darth Maul will die, like 10 minutes before the actual duel. I went with a friend to the midnight showing of Sith to capture the same feeling, and it was there. THere were kids dressed up like Darth Vader at Century in West Lake. I called back home and learned that my sister took my 4 yr old nephew to see Sith and he loved Darth Vader! Ha ha ha I guess its like genetic and is passed on from one generation to the next. Hope to see or hear from all the otehrs out here, and it warms the heart that it is something that can bridge the gap between generations and or races.

Peace!

13. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Name: Atish
    SW Related Interests: Reading the books, watching the movies, playing sw-games, playing with sw toys.
    Non-SW Related Interests: Hockey, lego, Magic the gathering TCG.
    How did you get started on SW: I've been a fan since I watched ANH when I was 4. I immediately wanted to see the next two. I've been a fan ever since.

14. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Name: Romil (there's one you won't hear every day)
    SW Related Interests: The movies, the comics, the music, this FRIKKIN' FABULOUS Epic Duels game I introduced to my friends and now we can't stop playing, Aayla Secura, Aayla Secura, and Aayla Secura. Oh, and Yoda and Kit Fisto, too. They're cool :D
    Non-SW Related Interests: The Phantom of the Opera (except for that horrid movie version that just came out. Hire people who can sing next time, Schumacher!), fencing and your assorted edged weapons, Argentine tango, animation (2-D's my particular field of expertise), sci-fi and other genre entertainment, and "Angel: The Series."
    How did you get started on SW: I was told I've seen all three original films in the theater, but I only recall as far back as "Jedi." But apparently, I was a fan before that since I had lots of the toys. After 1983, Star Wars fever didn't really hit me until "Clones" when I started dabbling into the new EU with Aayla as my guide. From there it's branched out to discovering other characters via the comics and novels, but I have yet to venture into the OT EU - so many novels, it's just too daunting. I barely made it through "Heir to the Empire!"

15. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Name: Lexi

SW Related Interests: FanFic, Costuming (not that you'd know it by how many I have made, perhaps it is more of an academic interest as regards Star Wars), and the movies and books and comics etc of course.

Non-SW Related Interests: Many SciFi shows as well as books etc, costuming, reading, writing, mysteries and fantasy novels and movies as well as SciFi ones. Lots of stuff, dilettante by name and nature...

How did you get started on SW: I saw ANH first and loved it, I loved the role model Leia was and wanted to be like her. Except, maybe without the hair done up in buns each side of the head. Even as a youngling I knew that was not that good a look.

So does this group have actual in person meetings? I've been thinking I should get to a FanForce meeting since well before RotS came out but I could never make any of the SF ones and I thought maybe it would be easier anyway to get to SJ ones. Both cities may be the same distance (or nearly) from me but somehow it seems easier to get to SJ than SF for me. Dunno why. Probably something visceral about parking.

KD

16. DJ_Windu

DJ_Windu Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    Name: Darryl
    SW Related Interests: Everything
    Non-Related SW Interests: Music, Sports, Video Games, Computer, SW Games, Reading, NJO Series, all of Star Wars, and the SW Movies.
    How did you get started on SW: The way I loved Star Wars was when my grandma took me to go and see the Star Wars Movies when I was little and I liked it and I also liked Episode 1-6. I also used to read the comic books and collect the action figures of the characters with my brother and we used to make a Star Wars Scene and we play against each other and my favorite character I always liked was Mace Windu and I always use him as my character against my brother. I liked those good times.

17. BaconCheeseburger

BaconCheeseburger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    big bump! is this place still alive???

Name: Michelle
    SW Related Interests: movies, pictures, posters
    Non-SW Related Interests: shopping, bowling, A's games
    How did you get started on SW: my uncle took me to the rereleases back in 1997 and i absolutely fell in love with Star Wars.

18. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Sort of.
    We're working on it.
    Feel free to kick-start any way you can.

19. Epsilon_Jedi

Epsilon_Jedi Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2004
    Wow this place is pretty dead. Are we still alive? Any collectors in San Jose?

Name: Josh
    SW Related Interests: Everything!, but especially collecting 3 3/4" figures
    Non-SW Related Interests: SF 49ers, bowling, collecting cards (sports, sw, etc.), girls!
    How did you get into SW: My dad showed me the 20th Anniversary SE back in '97 when I was 9 years old-I've been hooked ever since

20. Skatou-Laki

Skatou-Laki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2003
    Name: Brent in RL, SW name is Skatou-Laki
    SW Related Interests: COLLECTING ( http://www.rebelscum.com/c-Spotswood.asp ), SW related movies and fan films, books/novels, SW music and similar sounding music, to name a few.
    Non-SW Related Interests: Life outside Star Wars?...Well if I have to choose something else I also like other sci-fi like The Fifth Element and Firefly/Serenity, Pirate stuff is cool, and specific style horror movies (Dog Soldiers, Bubbah Ho-tep...) and authors like Laurel K. Hamilton.
    How did you get started on SW: My earliest memory was seeing Empire Strikes Back with my father when I was 3, especially the asteroid scene. I remember that he drew the characters for me afterwards, and that I wanted another brother so he could play with my AT-AT, too. Seeing Episode 2 AOTC really brought back that kid in me, and what turned into a harmless visit to Toys R' Us back in 2002 has resulted in the link I posted above today.

Right now I'm really hoping to find other fans in the area to hang out with, enjoy the movies, have a good time doing Star Wars related events and get-togethers. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF THERE ARE ANY SUCH EVENTS SCHEDULED (bsgraphix@yahoo.com). I feel like I've done some pretty deep digging, but I haven't come across anything like a SW movie night at so-n-so's place or SW RPG get-together. It seems like I'm only finding just public appearances at places of business or parades and other once-in-a-lifetime events.

I don't mind showing up at SW related events in public in costume, but there's gotta be a group somewhere that also just hangs out and plays SW Trivial Pursuit on DVD, etc. etc. etc. I'm looking for a regular sort of thing.

Anywho, thanks for listening...and I also hope I have not come off as ignorant or missed something obvious in my search for the hidden base. =)

21. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Hayward is a lot closer to San Francisco, and they are hella active, you might go check them out. Otherwise, this place is pretty quiet, you can tell by the post dates.

Best of luck

22. Skatou-Laki

Skatou-Laki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2003
    *nods* I posted there, too, but haven't gotten any responses yet. I'm so baffled...one would think there would be a group of SW fans that hang out casually around here somewhere.

(o_O)

23. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Just thought I'd post a link to the thread about the next meeting for any new folks that wander in here or anyone whose been here and is checking back.

San Jose Meeting Saturday 28th January at 2pm at Valley Fair Mall Details and discussion in that thread please not this one, I don't want to get into trouble for thread hijacking ;).

Hope to see you there.

KD

24. SanJoseShark

SanJoseShark Jedi Master

Oct 4, 2004
    Anybody alive in here?

25. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yep.
    Welcome to the chaos.[face_peace]

Thread Status: