New Jersey New Spider-Man Villian Actor Announced

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by BellaSabrina, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay Spidey fans.....now WHICH one will he play?

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Thomas Haden Church, who was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor in "Sideways," has been cast as Spidey's new archenemy in the next chapter of the "Spider-Man" franchise.

Director Sam Raimi made the annoncement Monday along with producers Laura Ziskin and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad.

"Spider-Man 3," which is scheduled for release May 4, 2007, will reunite the team that was responsible for the first two blockbuster films, which combined to gross more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales.

The new film will again star Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and Kirsten Dunst is expected to reprise her role as Mary Jane Watson. Production on "Spider-Man 3" is scheduled to begin early next year.

"In addition to the ongoing relationship between Peter Parker and M.J., these films are driven by the great actors who have brought our villains to life," Raimi said. "Thomas Haden Church will be a fantastic and challenging new nemesis, and we all look forward to working with him."

The filmmakers are not revealing the identity of the new villain.

Church is voicing one of the characters in the upcoming animated film "Charlotte's Web," and he recently appeared in Columbia Pictures' "Spanglish."

The actor's other credits include the films "George of the Jungle," "3000 Miles to Graceland," "Monkeybone" and "Tombstone." In 2003, he starred in, co-wrote and directed the comedy "Rolling Kansas." On the small screen, Church played Lowell Mather on the NBC series "Wings" from 1990-95 and starred on the 1995-97 Fox comedy "Ned and Stacey."
  2. iycis Jedi Knight

star 3
    I hope MJ dies in this one. She sucks.
  3. DropKickAnt Jedi Knight

star 1
    wow not my choice for venom, but thats what Special FX are for
  4. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    It's not said who he's playing though.

5. johnny_nod Jedi Knight

star 3
    If they don't go for a known villain, though, that's potentially a strike against the film. That whole Banner's-Father-With-The-Absorbing-Man-Powers thing couldn't really save the general mediocrity of Ang Lee's movie version of "The Hulk".

Since I'm pretty sure Raimi isn't that kind of director, I'm putting my money on the possibility that it's Carnage, the more homicidal symbiote of the latter Spidey comics.

I've seen Tom Haden Church in movies like "Tales from the Crypt - Demon Knight" and "Tombstone". He's got a slim frame, so I can't see him doing Venom.

Carnage, on the other hand? Sure, I can see him doing that character.

Anyone agree?

Unless anyone thinks they'll go for an older villain, like the Scorpion or Tarantula...

It should also be mentioned that Spidey-savvy Raimi is a bit of a fan of the Gwen Stacy storyline, too...maybe Church will play the Jackal? He *was* involved in the Gwen Stacy affair...

Either way, he's gotta correct my main gripe with the Spider-Man movies thus far: the organic webbing thing. I've got no problem with MJ(sorry, Natasha). It's Raimi's apparent notion that having Parker make his web-shooters and the goop that generates his webbing being too unrealistic that I strongly disagree with.

For pete's sake, why can't they just create a fully accurate version of a popular comic book??

*rolls eyes* :)

Sorry...had to vent. :D

- Johnny
  6. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Raimi is not a big Venom fan and has said he has no interest in bringing him to film.
    One site mentioned the possibility of the Sandman...not a bad choice.
    There's also rumor the Black Cat may be appearing. Chloe Sevigny(sp) mentioned she wanted to play the "blonde, buxom villian" in the new SpiderMan movie.
  7. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    After seeing Dr. Connor in Spiderman 2 and having Harry find his fathers (Green Goblin's) secret hideout I thought for sure that the answer to this question was already given, now they've turned everyone upside down and brought in an actor for a new villian :eek:! This is another example of why the Spiderman franchise is the best comic-to-movie franchise out of them all. This will keep people guessing and talking about not only this movie but the possible sequels that haven't even been though of yet.
  8. DropKickAnt Jedi Knight

star 1
    I hope he isnt venom, perhaps scorpion or carnage would be a good choice
  9. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    Chloe Sevigny would need a bit of a lift to be Black Cat. Pam Anderson...although she can't act, she sure is a buxom blonde!

If James Franco isn't Harry....I'm going to be upset.
  10. DropKickAnt Jedi Knight

star 1
    i agree if JF isnt the new Green Goblin, then thanx for wasting our time in the last 2 movies
  11. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    I was saying that for my own greedy purpose ;)
  12. TI-0694 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm very curious to see who he's gonna play exactly. They can't just bring Carnage in WITHOUT setting Venom up. That would be stupid. I've heard echoes of maybe Electro or Mysterio...both would be a good choice of villian sticking to the old-school feel. But Venom would be sweeeeeeeet.

Oh and as for Black Cat? Eliza Dushku. PERFECT choice...and tasty in black V-neck spandex..
  13. DarthGyos Jedi Master

star 4
    *tries to think of how to say this in a clean way*

I don't think Eliza has the 'essentials' to fill out the Cat costume.

~EF~
  14. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    Why can't we have our boards back?! LMAO.

PAM ANDERSON.

15. XenoSphere Jedi Master

star 4
  16. TI-0694 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well then I'm just gonna go ahead and picture her in the outfit.

Who's your pick Gary? I'm not crazy about Chloe. No blondes dammit.

EDIT: Pam Anderson is disgusting. The less I see of her the better. Amy Allen would be okay but A) she can't act and B) she's not a brunette.

What about Charisma Carpenter?
  17. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    No to Amy Allen. Or how about a big NO THANK YOU.

They're considering Charisma Carpenter for Wonder Woman, which gives some hope to casting her as Black Cat, but they won't have her for both. She's been blonde before, so I don't see why not.

I only said Pam because she's.....you know.
  18. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, at least they are keep people guessing in terms of what is going to happen in the movies.
  19. johnny_nod Jedi Knight

star 3
    Black Cat = Mira Sorvino? :D
  20. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Mysterio would be awesome, always been a favorite. But how goofy would that fishbowl look in live-action? Hehe
    For the love of Jeebus, no no no Pam! And while we're at it: NO Paris!!
    She might not be able to do action, but Scarlett Johansen would be good looks-wise. Trying to go a little off main-stream.
    Maybe Elisha Cuthbert?
    Kristen Bell from Veronica Mars! I just want to see her get a big break, she's so good on that show.
    And whoever said Eliza D wouldn't fill out the costume, rent Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back ;)
  21. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    And whoever said Eliza D wouldn't fill out the costume, rent Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

[face_batting] =P~

She would fill out the costume but not as good as Pam Anderson would. What about Jessica Beil? How about Denise Richards [face_love]? She would definately "fill" the role ;).
  22. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    If I thought she could act, maybe ;) Jess might not be bad, I'd have to see Blade 3 before making a decision...like it's up to me. LOL
  23. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope you're not forming your decision on her performance in Undercover Brother [face_sick]. Would Carmen Electra fall into the same category as Richards?
  24. TI-0694 Jedi Knight

star 1
    And whoever said Eliza D wouldn't fill out the costume, rent Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

A
    MEN!!!

Oh man...all FOUR of them you mean. I love the black leather scene. Even better though was the 'pizza boy' scene.

I guess for the Cat they could cast any color hair they want. They'd have to give a wig or a dye-job to whoever since she was a white head...right? She did have white hair right? Crap, it's been so long since I picked up an old Spidey comic, I can't even remember. I could definitely see Elisha Cuthbert in white hair though. God that'd be amazing...and she's got the rack too.
  25. DropKickAnt Jedi Knight

star 1
    y not bring halle berry and let her play The Black Kat aka Felicia Hardy

we all know the wonderful job she did as Catwoman
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.