main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA New Spokane Area Members, Please Post Here!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Aug 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Greetings! You have taken your first step into a larger world!

Welcome to the Spokane Washington Fanforce forum. The Spokane WA fanforce emcompasses the areas of Spokane and Central Washington. Here you can meet fellow fans in your area and plan meetings and events. If you are interested in joining this group, please post here. To help us learn a little about you, please post a little information about yourself:

Name: (First is fine)
    SW Related Interests:
    Non-SW Related Interests: {So we know what other activites you might like)
    How did you get started on SW: ("Hello, My Name is Jennifer, & I've been a SW addict since I was 7. . ." - It's fun to share this one).

2. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Name: Eledaia, Kelli in RL
    Location: Will be located in Spokane by Aug 16 (living near Walla Walla til then)

SW Related Interests: I was a big costuming fan until I got burned out by making costumes for others. I think I need make some for myself to remember what was so fun about it. I have a hugely cool costuming project I want to do for C3 :)

Non-SW Related Interests: {So we know what other activities you might like) I'm a graphic designer/webmaster by trade, general artist by hobby, sci-fi/fantasy FanGirl extraordinaire, I'm mostly a hermit and trying to break the habit. I suppose I have to be social sometime in my life...

How did you get started on SW: My first Star Wars memory is still very vivid in my mind. I would have been 5 years old in 1983, and my parents brought me along to the theater for ROTJ. I don't remember anything else from the film except Jabba the Hutt. Whether it was the horror at seeing this hulking blob of talking putrescence or simply the fact that I couldn't read what Jabba was saying, those scenes in ROTJ were etched in my little mind. My first taste of Star Wars goodness :p I actually remember turning to my mom and asking her what the heck Jabba was saying. Her response was to sit down and watch the movie. "But I don't know what they are saying!!!" After that, I think I viewed bits and pieces of the trilogy on TV and what not, but it was not until Junior High that I had mastered the technological wonder know as the VCR and was at last able to record Star Wars. My Star Wars obsession has been coming on gradually since then. You would think that the advent of the second trilogy would have deepened my love of the SW Universe, but I admit I still only love the first trilogy on all counts. The newer episodes are nice to see why and how things came about, but I'm really only interested in the costumes from them. For me the originals are the i ching, and the new ones are just great movies to put in my DVD rotation.

I'm hoping to head over your way for a meeting sometime. I read about a few scattered people in Spokane, and would gladly join a group there if there was one. Maybe I'll have to start one...
    I would like to meet some fellow Star Wars fans and join a group so I won't have to hang out with myself at C3 :D

(re-posted from Everett forum, who I still plan to visit someday)

3. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Name: Natalie
    SW Related Interests: I love the movies and the books. I'm just getting started on a fanfic since my Jabba story was nicely accepted. I'm also interested in trying my hand at costuming.
    Non-SW Related Interests: {So we know what other activites you might like) I'm a college student working on a math-edu major and history minor. I love reading (SciFi and Fantasy are quickly becoming my favorites). I love to sing and am learning to play guitar. I love to write (both stories and poetry). And I'm sure there are other things, but that is enough for now.
    How did you get started on SW: ("Hello, My Name is Jennifer, & I've been a SW addict since I was 7. . ." - It's fun to share this one). Well my dad started me on Star Wars back when I was little, I can't remember my exact age, but it wasn't until high school that my interest in Star Wars grew. So compared to many fans I am fairly new to the scene, but hooked none the less :).

4. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Name: Tom

SW Related Interests: Mostly I'm just a big fan of the films. I'm not so much into costuming or any other activities like that. I do collect the toys avidly, but since I have kids we actually take all the toys out of their packages and play with them, which would probably make most collectors wince. But yeah, mostly I just like discussing the films and hanging out with fellow fans, and as Obi-Wan would say, "That's ... why I'm here".

Non-SW Related Interests: I'm in a local hip hop group called Log Hog. We play quite a bit around the area and on the west side. We've been to Spokane only once, but you can actually see two of our members performing as their side project "The Moustaches" at "The Shop" (924 S. Perry) this Friday the 20th, show starts around 7 pm. Here's a picture of us doing our thing...

[image=http://www.loghogmusic.com/lh022.jpg] (that's me on the far left)

...and you can check out MP3s here if you're so inclined. :)

So that's my main "hobby" but let's see, what else? I'm married (to Kerr_Plunk who will hopefully soon be posting here as well), and a father of six. I graduated from CWU with a BA in philosophy in 2000, and I'm still here working at the library. I'm a casual sports fan, I enjoy music of all varieties, huge film buff, Tolkien nut, fan of old school Nintendo games and their modern equivalents, in particular The Legend of Zelda, and no doubt many other things but I've probably bored you enough...

How did you get started on SW: I've been a Star Wars fan literally for as long as I can remember. In fact one of my very earliest memories is of going to see ANH in '77 in the theater. I don't actually remember much about the film from that first viewing, mostly I just remember the huge impression that Darth Vader made on me. But I do remember the theater was packed, and we had to sit in the very front row, and all the way to the right side of the theater. Still, after that day I was hooked, and when I look back on my chiildhood, for that matter my entire life, it seems that Star Wars was always a prominent part of it.

5. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Name: Alfredo

SW interests: The movies, of course. It's hard to be a fan and not like them! The gear is cool, too! I have done a bit of costuming in the past (for other sci-fi genres, armor, etc.) and have almost masterred the art of building lightsabers. I'll gladly teach anyone who wants to learn. You just need to have enough money to buy the necessary materials, then I can get you started.

Non-SW interests: I love just about any kind of scifi, fantasy, and horror that is out there. But mostly I'm an artist. If I can see or envision it, I can usually build it. Assuming that I have all the tools and materials required. I'm also a full-time vidiot and insomniac. Which means that I really have to watch out late at night. I have the kind of attention span that infomercials crave! It was depressing to discover that I could actually waste an entire night watching Ron Popeil rave about the virtues of his latest Frankenstein-creation. And to think, that time could have been better spent drinking beer till I pucked. Live and learn, I guess.

Bio: Until about a year ago, I was the Technical Director (fancy title for theatre carpenter/head monkey-boy) at a playhouse here in Spokane. Being an artist came in handy there. Learning the discipline of practicality from being a carpenter for nine years has become usefull. And though I live in Spokane, I wound up getting a job remodelling a house over in Everitt that took about a year to complete, and in a roundabout way, wound up losing me a really great girlfriend. Long boring story there that concluded with a pay check that, though smaller than I deserved, was just enough to keep me going back for more. Anybody else ever feel like a whore? On the plus side, I was able to make face to face contact with the Everitt FF (a very nice group of people) and get a feel for how they do things.

When I was a kid (I couldn't tell you how old. My childhood memories are very fragmented. My memories from last week are fairly fragmented....) I was a huge Star Wars fan. Tons of action figures, bedsheets, the works. Then it got overshadowed by D&D. Then, I just don't know. And then (dramatic pause) The Phantom Menace came out. I still kept it low-key. I only went to my first (ever) science fiction convention in 2000.

Almost a year ago, some friends of mine approached me about building them some lightsabers for a fan film that they wanted to make. I was dubious about my ability to make a nice saber, but I told them I'd see about it. Months later, I finished a modified Vader that looked pretty good. I can't seem to stop now. Luckily, I don't have a lot of spare time (or access to everything that I need) or I'd probably have twenty of the damned things by now! Anyone interested in acquiring a new addiction? Once you learn to build one, it's never enough... moohoo-hwahahahahaha!!

(yes, that was supposed to be an evil laugh)

Interestingly enough, I do believe in the Force. And it obviously is with me, from time to time. Like me, it is tempermental.

6. jedilos

jedilos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2000
    Name: carlos
    SW Related Interests: making props, light sabers, movies, costume
    Non-SW Related Interests: {Star trek, computers, movies, making props
    How did you get started on SW: Been a fan for a long time. I used to live in texas and ran a club called the Jedi Council of Texas with my good buddy Obi Juan , I started a website in 1997 called SABERS PLUS about making lightsabers with other peoples works and tutorials. and Ive been around for a while, just like to have fun. if you wanna contact me a good email is cowboyferrier(@)hotmail.com

7. jedilos

jedilos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2000
    just wanted to add some of my websites

Visit my PROP page at http://boredathome.0catch.com
    this one I just updated with my robin costume progress you can click on Misc. Props and its the last link

and SABERS PLUS 2000
    @
    http://members.fortunecity.com/los765/

Spokane, Wa Star Wars group
    @
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spokanewastarwasclub/

8. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Name: John
    SW Related Interests: The original trilogy, and anything not related to Jedi (The prequels have made me a bit bitter :() STAR WARS GALAXIES!!! Come play with me on the Starsider galaxy!
    Non-SW Related Interests: Graphic Design, General Sci-Fi, Filmaking, Special Effects, Screenwriting, Cosplay, being an uber-dork...
    How did you get started on SW: When I was little we picked up TONS of the old Star Wars toys at a yard sale, we had all kinds of cool characters and ships :) and then I saw the films... the rest, as they say is history...

9. mightyd4

mightyd4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 24, 2004
    Name: Nick
    SW Related Interests: SWG (Star Wars Galaxies, Scylla server), gaming anything Star Wars, collectables, etc.

Non-SW Related Interests: Roleplaying, (D&D, Vampire LARP, Costuming, Etc.

How did you get started on SW: Born in 1977... one of the best years ;-) and saw ROTJ in theaters. From there it went to seeing all of the films at home, and mostly playing with friends either with the old figures or "acting". I still have all of my old SW toys in pretty darn good condition. Then as I got to Jr High and High School it became more of a mild obsession. From using the soundtrack in any plays I was doing to staying up late with friends laughing over silly lines in the movies.

More recently SW is one of the fews things I can get excited about and that can motivate me. From trying to get all the cardboard stand-ups, to one day having a house with one room dedicated to SW.

So with the fanfilm, I intend to finish my Broadcasting Degree at Gonzaga (as the only thing left to do is a final project), and of course have lots of fun and do what I haven't done for 9 years... make awesome props and use my creative skills that have gone to waste for too long.

See many of you soon ...meetings...

10. daikage

daikage Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2004
    Name: Jonathan

SW Related Interests: I like the movies. Own some of the technical manuals, because they are interesting. Own the old WEG version of the RPG. More of a passive fan, really.

Non-SW Related Interests: I'm sort of an uber-geek. I like comics, movies, gaming of all types (rpg, larp, ccg, etc), reading, writing. If it is geeky in some way, I am probably into it to some extent. More focus on the writing and gaming than all else.

How did you get started on SW: Frankly, I have always liked the movies. Beyond that, I'm not a mega fan. My main reason for wanting to join is to get involved with some new activities...and the possibility of doing a fanfilm.

11. JediCloneCT

JediCloneCT Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2004
    Name: JediClone/Chris (And to the guy who recognized my handle at InCon- I'm not the Clone you're looking for :). Somebody else had already gotten the name when I signed up for this BBS. But I'm keeping it anyway.)

SW Related Interests: Gaming, props, the EU esp. the Clone Wars cartoon... Oh and the movies... And I'm really interested in getting in on a fan-film.

Non-SW Related Interests: My favorite SF series is a three-way tie between DS9, B5, and Farscape). Teaching myself Adobe Illustrator. The Bruce Timm and drawing style. Prop making (I have a few SW items, am working on others, and over the summer I helped out on a horror movie made by North By Northwest). I have pretty much all of the "technical" and Essential books, and I want to get more into blueprint and model design.

How did you get started on SW: When I was a baby, my babysitter snuck us off-base to see ANH. When I was 6, the first time I saw ROTJ was in a mall with a big panel display in the walkway that was my first exposure to "behind the scenes" stuff. I've also got most of the original series of 4.25" toys.

12. Beau

Beau Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2004
    Name: Beau, (Joe)
    SW Related Interests: Movies, Fan-Films, Costumes
    Non-SW Related Interests: Science fiction fantasy stuff. Cons. Painting, drawing, prop making.
    How did you get started on SW: While our family was moving from Montana to Crete as a child, were visiting friends in South Dakota. And the last movie I saw in the U.S. was Star Wars. And since I've always liked science fiction and fantasy anyhow, it fit in nicely. Liked it ever since. Over the years everything dealing with Star Wars- costunes, props- have got me more intrigued.

13. testpattern

testpattern Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2004
    Name: Spencer Thomas
    SW Related Interests: Combat
    Non-SW Related Interests: Games, Combat -_- simple creature
    How did you get started on SW: hmm, randomly shown here and there, gang from HS ( john is one of them ) were the addicts that drug me in.

eh, sry takes so long, uber busy. anything special you need my pretty quick attention email me at spencerthomas@adelphia.net

-test-

14. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Finally got around to posting this...

Name: Erich
    SW Related Interests: film making, story writing, making fun of SW, watching the movies (even the prequels and SE)
    Non-SW Related Interests: writing, tennis, video games, Lego building, tinkering with computers, cooking,
    How did you get started on SW: ("Hello, My Name is Jennifer, & I've been a SW addict since I was 7. . ." - It's fun to share this one). Probably got started when I watched Return of the Jedi; it was my favorite for a while until I watched A New Hope, which is my current favorite. My dad started getting me Star Wars toys around 8th grade and my friends and I would make up all sorts of stories and stupid little movies. Gaming, especially Jedi Knight, was a big thing for me and I still crank up Dark Forces from time to time.
    Plus Yoda Stories, one of the coolest SW games ever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.