main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New sports forum discussion.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We cannot split topics from the official topics in the JCC. That would completely and utterly destroy those communities. We might as well stop having sports threads in JCC at that point.

The system ain't broke. There's nothing to fix.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Wouldn't the regional USFF sites be the place to discuss things like college football games? What does this forum offer that JCC and regional FF forums together can't offer?

BTW, just playing devils advocate, the arguement for NOT having a sports forum, because we're a Star Wars board, could also be made for NOT having a Senate forum. The precedent is there with the creation of Senate, for moving certain topics away from YJCC and giving them their own Board. :)

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    We cannot split topics from the official topics in the JCC. That would completely and utterly destroy those communities. We might as well stop having sports threads in JCC at that point.

much agreed.

i'm not as staunchly opposed to a sports forum as i once was, but i still oppose the idea. i strongly support the existence of the sports communities that exist in each JCC thread (especially the football and baseball threads), and i think these are an essential part of the JCC as a whole.

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I can honestly appreciate what you are suggesting, but I don't agree with your opinion of what's constricted.

Way back when we had the last dicussion, I made it clear that there was room for discussions that weren't suitable for the official threads - eg "Are the NFL players overpaid?" - but absolutely no one started any threads of that nature - why not?

How many breaking stories do we get on an hourly basis in each sport? You can watch SportsCenter on ESPN and get maybe 3 NFL stories of the day etc etc - nothing which couldn't be adequately covered in the existing threads. It works very well in the Premiership thread.

There are certain events which may benefit from having their own thread (eg during draft picks) but they are far and few between.

To be honest, the best place to dicuss sports in depth would be at a dedicated sports message board - just like the best place to discuss the StarWars movies, books and TV shows is at the JC.

Personally I'm not against a sports forum (it won't be the end of my world), but I don't see it as being "in keeping" with the underlying point of the existence of the JC.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    No, I was including any and all sports/athletic competion. No matter where it's point of orgin, or what region of the world it enjoys the most popularity. That's one of the main reasons that a think a dedicated forum would be beneficial. The more obscure threads about lesser known about sports/activities would sink to the bottom of the JCC quickly. With the exception of the Beautiful Game thread, and the occasionl "World cup" type threads, the sports discussion in the JCC is mostly US centric. A forum would give light, and open discussion amongst users that are sports fans, from around the world.

I was also thinking, as I stated in my opening post, that it would be a great place to discuss, health, diet, excercise regimens, and so on. I really think that if given a chance, a forum could flourish under many topics that all fall under the central topic of Athletisism.

6. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I wouldn't mind a sports thread. A place where i can have a more focused discussion on the eagles and the NFC east would be nice. I also would like a UFC thread. I don't post that often in the JCC anymore, so maybe there are thread that are equivelent to the ones i've mentioned, but i don't think that's a big deal. We have like 4 different BSG and Stargate threads mixed throughout the boards. People still post in all of them.

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I'm really sad to see this topic brought up again. It lead to nothing but bickering and bad feelings the last time it was brought up. :(

Unless the administration has changed radically I do not foresee a dedicated Sports forum becoming a reality. It would add the need for more moderators and ones that are not just mods but also very familiar with a wide range of sports. That puts a burden on the MS to be able to identify people who would be suitable to run such a forum [aside from the obvious choice of Everton ;)].

I support there being more leniency in the current rules regarding the Official threads and taking it as a case by case basis. I think that would be a great compromise and a way for the administration to show the user base desiring to see more sports threads that they are willing to work with them.

Good luck [face_peace]

edit:

Those topics can be talked about in the JCC as it is now. And I've seen plenty of topics started on those topics. Malkie especially likes to discuss weight issues. ;) :p

8. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    it would be a great place to discuss, health, diet, excercise regimens, and so on.

and the JCC isn't ?

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I must admit, I really like this idea. If some good could come out of this, by increasing awareness in health, diet and fitness, then that really would be a very interesting idea. :)

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If I felt compelled to talk about my personal training, I'd do it on the JCC.

11. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    I think a sports forum would be sweet! I'd participate every day...heck, I post on 5 different sports forums already, one more couldn't hurt.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    JCC is more of a jokey, light hearted place, though. Thats nothing against YJCC in the slightest, but if I was fat and wanted advice on the best way to lose weight, I wouldn't post a thread in JCC, because I would know that whilst there would be some in-depth comment, there would also be a lot of light hearted banter about stopping eating cream cakes, and things.

13. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Not particularly, when they're overshadowed so quickly by the dozens of fluff(and don't get me wrong, I've created plenty of those threads myself) threads that are posted or upped, at the JCC, on a daily basis.

Once again, I'm not saying to remove any mention of these topics from the JCC, I'm asking for the staff to at least consider giving fans a decicated and central forum to discuss sports topics in a more comprehensive manner.

As far as bickering is concerned, I don't expect it to get to that point. I brought it up again, because it's still something that myself and many others would like to see happen. I'm not aware of any rule against making a request, especially if it's in a cordial manner. I didn't call out any of the staff for not allowing it in the past, I'm simply requesting it again. No changes, for better or worse, would ever be made here, if the community didn't take the time to be proactive and let the staff know what they would like to see, to benefit the site as a whole. Whether that be an opinion shared by the staff, and the community, or not.

Well, there are plenty of users that would prefer to do it in a dedicated thread. Which is really besides the point because it's a topic that could easily be discussed in two seperate forums, like so many other topics are.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd like to see a Sports Forum. I participate in the NCAA and NFL threads, but not as often as i'd like, because sometimes it's just frustrating to weed through some of the YJCC stuff, and they can often get buried under 23-50 "so ... " type threads. It would be good to have a place on the JCC for serious sports discussion. Try as we may, it's hard to keep any topic serious in the JCC for very long, let alone something as long as a baseball season.

15. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    I honestly care very little about sports. Seriously, they aren't all that important to me. I do know that they are important to some people though. I also know very little of the JCC. It scares me for some reason. :p And as it is, I'm not too active on TF.N that much anymore. However, I was kinda roaming around and found this. My opinion is thus: why not? I mean, if nothing else, what does it hurt to have a brief, 1 month or whatever trial run? It might inconvenience the administration staff for a bit, but that way, you could see if it would work, if it would get activity, if it would kill the JCC etc. Just an idea. As it is, I really am not all too opposed to it. I've read every one's opinions thus far, and find that a sports forum really would not seem to harm these boards at all.

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm not real familiar with the current sports threads, only that we try to keep all discussion in the relevant official thread, as it stands now in the JCC.

There's obviously something some users feel needs changing with the way we handle sports discussion, or we wouldn't come back to the idea of creating a dedicated Sports forum this often. So, I'm not going to say, "It's not broke!". It may not be totally broken, but there is something worth discussing, even if it's going through how we can make the current system better.

Like malkie, I personally wouldn't have anything against these new forums being there, but I don't want to see the JCC lose a valuable part of its discussion, either. The JCC needs other things besides the random stuff that makes up a portion of it to thrive. Maybe a compromise on how current threads are handled without taking the bulk of the discussion away from the current official threads, or ways to facilitate discussion in those official sports threads that make it easier to navigate discussion.

We can still discuss the idea of a dedicated sports forum, but I think the underlying focus of the site in general is going to be a hurdle in the administration's stance. It's a Star Wars site. I also don't believe the discussion will turn into bickering and bad feelings at all, I have faith in everyone that comes in here to discuss this to not let it devolve to that.

17. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Easy now - no one is "bickering" - please don't interpret criticism of your idea as criticism of you, or criticism for flooring the idea.

You could technically make that arguement for any aspect or theme of the JCC. You could have a forum dedicated exclusively to social groups, or a forum dedicated to homework assistance, or vacation ideas.

If something sinks in the JCC isn't because no one is particularly interested - that wouldn't alter if the thread was in a different forum where it stayed on page 1 for 5 hours rather than 1 hour.

Isn't that exactly what's happening here - a level playing field dicussion about the merits of a potential new forum.

Could you take time to answer the question I posed earlier as to why no one started threads unsuitable for official threads when suggested to?

18. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Jada brought up bickering. ;) And we're all fine here. How're you?

And I'll answer as a JCC mod on the reason no one really starts unofficial topics (I'm assuming). Most times even border-line official topics are directed into the official threads, because that's what we current JCC mods believe are expected of us from the members in those official threads. That's not to say it's a bad idea, it just may be worth discussing and clarifying what would be a non-official sports topic for all involved. And I'm fine with that. :)

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    My comment was directed at Jada, but based on what ASG said about the posts they had made. My point was that being critical of someone's idea isn't an attack on the person.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Gotcha. :D

21. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Here's my issue. I don't like how someone can post "Al Gore was in my dream last night" on the JCC and I can't post a thread about the Titan's player who stomped on a guy's head during a football game. In a newsworthy or even a discussion sense, the Titan's story FAR outweighs the dream someone had. Instead this is restricted to the NFL thread, so no one else gets to know about it, but we all get to know about someone's dream. That's why I support the idea of a sport's forum.

Way back when we had the last dicussion, I made it clear that there was room for discussions that weren't suitable for the official threads - eg "Are the NFL players overpaid?" - but absolutely no one started any threads of that nature - why not?

I'm a bit confused by your statement. Is your example something that isn't allowed? If so then THAT would be why there were no topics like that brought up.

And if the reason we're not allowed to start threads about these topics is so that the JCC isn't flooded with Sports topics then that in itself is ample evidence of a much needed sports forum.

22. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Fair enough, but I was talking in the past tense. I realise you might redirect threads now, but back during the last discussion users who wanted a dedicated forum were invited to start some unofficial threads which had the possibility of depth, but no one took us up on the offer.

We even suggested a few threads for the Senate forum that would fit in appropriately, but again no one took the chance.

23. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't think it'll hurt to create some sort of trial period where certain sports topics were allowed to be made in the JCC. You know, a grace period where the rules of the JCC were relaxed when it came to sports threads. Define some parameters as to what meets the requirements of creating a thread and then let it go and see what it results in.

24. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Could you take time to answer the question I posed earlier as to why no one started threads unsuitable for official threads when suggested to?

Because in 99% of the cases where I've seen threads that myself and others felt could fit ouside the official thread, they get redirected there and the new thread gets locked. Usually, and don't take this the wrong way because I don't mean it as an insult, it's by a member of the staff that is either not a fan of sports, or doesn't understand the sport enough to recognize there's a significant difference in the topic to warrent it stay alive in a second thread.

That's why I personally don't start stand alone threads, and I can't speak for others, but I'd wager that's why they doin't as well.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    You know, a grace period where the rules of the JCC were relaxed when it came to sports thread.

as dp4m mentioned, if that means posting stuff outside the official threads that have always gone in them, you may as well do away with sports threads in the JCC. those communities are what they are in part because they discuss virtually all news and events related to that sport/league in those threads. changing that is changing the fundamental nature of sports discussion there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.