main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New sports forum discussion.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    where is it?

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    here. Sape added Sports as a new catagory if you go to the 'Jedi Council Forums' page, and it's in there :)

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Just for the record, Sapes posted this in an MSU:

It was announced a long time ago that for awhile the Sports category would be separate. I agree with you it is a community type forum. However, in addition to providing another venue for our current users, its other purpose is to draw in potential new users who are considering signing up here. We aren't expecting to draw sports fans who like Star Wars. In other words, their search on Google will be Star Wars. When they see our name or hear about it from another source, they'll come to the main page and look at what we have to offer. The draw initially is Star Wars but that'll fade sooner than in years past because there isn't much going on in the Star Wars world. What will keep them is everything else we offer. And we need to get their attention right off the block. In this period of less activity in fandom, I want that menu to be full to tantalize interested new users. Sports has a universal appeal and if it's listed on its own it has a greater chance of being a deciding factor for someone to sign up.

I know what it's like to be searching for a specific post in a long discussion thread from way back only to find it was in a run-of-the-mill thread elsewhere. :p

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Still waiting for the drop menu thingy....

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It was quite right to put The Arena in its own category.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I hope nobody minds me bringing this thread back up after so long?

The Arena has been open for just over 4 months now, and in my view its really made a wonderful addition to the life and vibrancy of this community and already I can't imagine the JC without it.

4 months is long enough to be able to gauge what effect its had on YJCC, so I'd be very appreciative if we could hear about how YJCC has coped with the loss of sports to The Arena. We heard a lot of claims that setting up a sports forum would have a big negative impact on YJCC, has this happened? And has YJCC seen any noticable drop in usage over the last 4 months. Please understand I'm not trying to rake over old battles here, I'm genuinely interested to know how things have gone over the last 4 months. Whilst supporting the creation of The Arena I was always a bit nervous that what some people were saying could be the effect on YJCC would come true, so I would really love to hear some feedback from the current JCC mods on how things have gone over the last 4 months. :)

I would also like to throw something else out to The Arena Mods. I think you guys have done an awesome job of setting up The Arena and you should all be very proud of this excellent forum.
    In ASG's original concept for The Arena we discussed that the forum may want to have a health/fitness angle, which I thought was a very exciting idea, but at this point I'm wondering if any health/fitness threads have been posted and if not is this still something that you guys would like to see associated with The Arena and what sort of form do you see it taking.

Like I say, I hope nobody minds me bringing this back up, I just think that now we've had a decent time to let everything bed in and settle down, now might be a good time to re-evaluate how everything has gone. From my own perspective its been an awesome sucess story. :)

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Well, I doubt that sports topics or the lack thereof make people start all those cat, sex and war rhino topics, so I can't say I've observed anything either way ;)

Maybe the participants in that recent "my sport topic is bigger than yours" contest can elaborate on their feelings :)

(PS: I still don't like the Arena :p)

8. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I think the Arena got off to a great start, but I expect it to get a nice boost once baseball season starts.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Thanks for being honest TwiLekJedi. :) We all had our own ideas about whether or not The Arena was a good idea and I know many people on both sides felt passionate about it.

Its comforting to hear that from your perspective its not really had much impact on JCC either way. :)

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    the arena slowed down a lot (as i think many expected) after the first several weeks. so long as the JCC keeps its sports discussions, i don't think it'll ever fully take off. still, it's a good niche forum, and allows for more depth and range of issues.

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    We should probably start talking about it's category being the Community soon.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

I second the motion. Come on, guys, it didn't take this long for the SFF boards to be added to the drop - down menu.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You'll pry the MLB thread out of JCC from my cold, lifeless, metallic, automoton hand!

I mean cold, lifeless hand! Yeah...

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Edit: Well, this post was actually intended for the tech thread, but since I'm here...

I took a look in the drop-down menu myself to see that there was no Arena. While doing so, I discovered that Census & Games also hasn't had its name updated. Which leads me to believe that this menu hasn't been touched for quite some time. You're quite right that it does need updating.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I just don't like the fact that no mod has even responded. Just anything like "we'll put it in there soon" or something. If you guys are purposely ignoring me then you should let me know. :)

17. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    We're purposefully ignoring you. Actually I hear the Mods have a pool going about when you will snap and go crazy.

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    two words: tech admin

not entirely sure about the tech part, but definitely admin

the rest of us can only... I dunno... point and laugh?

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    yeah ... I can acknowledge your post, but that's about it.

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Sorry, I'm not ignoring you, but I think we don't have the option to change the pull down menus. Gabe may have the ability, but I don't think I do. I can change it's category in the Main Menu, but that's about it as far as Main goes. It may even be something zerosleep has to do. Sorry I can't be more help.

21. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Sorry for the late reply. The drop-down menu can be updated by gabe. If he hasn't seen this I'll send him a PM about the Arena and Census. :)

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    *cracks* I gotta call Burns! I gotta call Burns! Maybe I can still get that drink!

Thank you Sapes.

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Are we leaving it in its own category or moving to Community? Either way is fine with me, I guess. We just said we'd come back to it after it had been up a while.

24. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    For the time being, I'd still like to leave it separate in this growth phase. It hasn't even been a year. What I was thinking was that as we approach the TV series and more and more is hitting the media about it, new fans and perhaps those who left here for awhile will discover and rediscover us. I'd prefer to have sports as its own item so that it stands out immediately instead of hopefully being discovered within the Community category.

25. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think thats the best way to approach this Sape. If The Arena lose's support by being on it own, it can always be moved to Community at a later date.

Its really nice to hear that everything went smoothly when The Arena was introduced. It seems the key to making sure it didn't hit YJCC was the excellent decision to allow YJCC to keep its sporty threads. I think we now have the perfect balance between sporty threads in YJCC and more in-pepth discussion in The Arena.

Good work everyone. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.