main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Tours?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jedi_Knight_Jonas, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    I just got back from Disney Studios Star Wars weekend and I was wondering if anyone else has heard about this. Rumors are swirling all around but I'm not sure if its just a rumor mill or if there is truth behind it. Supposably George Lucas is going to make a new ride film.

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This rumor has been circulating for years now with no solid proof to back anything up. At this point in time, I would take anything with a grain of salt until there's some kind of official announcement from Disney.

3. TheJediNerd001

TheJediNerd001 Jedi Knight star 1

May 18, 2009
  4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm a huge Disney buff and I frequent many Disney sites. I'm aware of the links and the rumors resulting from what has been posted at these sites. Again, nothing has been officially announced by Disney, so until that happens, I'm gonna have to be skeptical. Things like this happen all the time with other attractions and more often than not, nothing comes of it.

We'll just have to wait and see.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, I remember hearing about this even before TPM came out, back in late 98. They were going to refit it to fit the prequels and then the whole saga.

Nothing happened. I wouldn't hold my breath. Ride films have kinda lost their luster it seems.

I still think Lucas should team up with Disney Theme Parks and add a new Lucasland to the Disney Parks.

I'm not kidding.

6. TheJediNerd001

May 18, 2009
    Agreed! I've been hoping that they came out with a Star Wars-themed amusement park; Death Star run-coasters, podracing, and of course flying through the galaxy! We should write to Mr. Lucas...... :D

7. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    To add to the rumor mill, there has been talk a few months back about that very thing. It wasn't for a brand new amusement park, but rather, a section of Disney Hollywood Studios dedicated to Lucas and Star Wars. One feature I was reading about included a new restaurant/counter service venue based around the Mos Eisley Cantina. It would be interesting to see if this comes to fruition.

8. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    THAT would be a dream come true. =P~

And I believe there was an article in the last Insider saying that they're rehauling Star Tours.

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    So they are finally doing it then? :cool:

It's funny about the Lucas-land topic. This is not the first time it has come up here. It was brought up after TPM the first I remember. Then it came back after AOTC.

Come on, who wouldn't want to a glass of blue milk with a bantha burger?

I'm not kidding.

Have a Lucasland with a American Graffiti section with drag races and a diner.

Indy Jones with the existing rides and a stunt show(like they had)

And of course Star Wars galore: Ewok Kids Camp. Elephants dressed as Banthas. A Haunted Sith Palace. The Kamino Science Exhibit. Jar Jars water ride. The Jawa Scavenger Hunt. Coruscant nightclub.

I'm serious. They should really do this. They should build it next to the California Park in Anaheim and next to Epcot in Orlando.

edit:
    and if you really want to get serious about it:
    you could have a young Indy section that covers all those areas of history that Lucas ad Young Indy involved in.

you could also have sections devoted to anthropology dealing with the SW cultures. Archaeology with Indy Jones. History with Young Indy.

It could be like a amusement park/learning institute.

Have life-size replicas throughout the park of X-Wings, Ties, AT-ATs, etc.
    Employees in costume. Book signings, Behind the mask signings, etc.

10. TheJediNerd001

May 18, 2009
    :eek: Send this to GL!!! This is great! [face_peace]

11. TheGoonie

TheGoonie Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2009
    I believe it was confirmed over at the Micechat board that a new movie for Star Tours is in fact currently in production. The Micechat board and it's sister site, Miceage, cover the Disney parks.

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    But Micechat and the other Disney sites of that nature are not officially affiliated with Disney and are most likely just reporting on the same rumor that has been going around. I agree that this rumor is looking more promising than the ones in the past but again, until Disney officially announces it on their website or in some sort of press conference, I'm going to take it with a grain of salt.

13. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    SlashFilm ran this article in May in regards to a new ride film being shot. I have also heard somewhere, that they want to incorporate features of the "StormRider" attraction from Tokyo DisneySea, which essentially is a more 'modern' use of similar Simulator Technology. Think asteroid crashing into the ride vehicle and ripping the roof open. Take that one with a grain of salt tho.

Also, if anybody is interested, there is a great article (and somewhat relevant to this section of the boards) here at Jim Hill Media, on a Young Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular that was never built at the Disneyland Resort, along with what Lucas had origially for what used to be 'The ExtraTERRORstrial Encounter' at Magic Kingdom. Good read.

14. Schuyler1990

Schuyler1990 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2009
    While I love SW(why else would I be here) and a star wars theme park would make me blow a nerdy load, I don't know if one could work because A. the Park would have to be good enough to please both the hardcore fans and the more moderate ones. B. because SW is such a world-wide phenomena that it would be hard to find one location that would make it easily accessable to all. Of course I think that it's definately worth trying but I think the best bet for getting the concept of a star wars Theme park right would be to get a Star Wars FAN, not somebody who saw the movies once but someone who saw the movies and loved it and had it be a big part of their life. If someone did run with the theme park Idea the quickist way to ruin it would be to put some corporate empty suit with little or no knowledge of the Movies and the EU in charge.

15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I see that that would be a problem, with a Star Wars theme park.

However, it's awesome that they're going to shoot a new STAR TOURS film!

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I'm a bit leery about the new film myself.

Hopefully Lucas has the good taste to avoid dragging the ride backwards to the PT era.

I am far less hopeful that the new movie will maintain the photorealism of the original, as this new film will undoubtedly be made of CGI.

17. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    I'm inclined to agree with this. I'm sure they'll overdo the CGI.

18. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    As much as I adore the original incarnation of this ride, I do feel it's time for an update. My family and I have annual passes at Disneyland and I can attest to the fact that this ride is one of the ones that you can bank on to have absolutely no line. No matter how busy the park is. In fact, I went on the ride last night and it is severely dated. It's kind of embarrassing when the ride ends, there are always a few people that have something to say about the quality of the ride.

An update would be great. I remember when I was young this ride was amazing. I'm in the boat of people that fear the excessive use of CGI that will come with an update though.

-matthew

19. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    If they are going to re-create or revamp Star Tours, they really should just invent a new ride. Disney should make the full investment and build a real roller coaster (as opposed to a box that shakes around.) This could have the potential to be a really fun and thrilling ride. They should take this opportunity to re-invent the wheel and begin again.

I'm thinking an indoor ride (in a sense similar to Space Mountain.) But whereas Space Mountain is a dark void with nearly nothing in it--this attraction could feature space battle scenes, 3-D, and ILM creations that will stun the rider.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That's not a bad idea, especially adding 3D into the mix.

21. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I'll agree about the short lines, although the last time I was at Disney World (during a not particularly busy time of year) the line got to about an hour wait. And I have to say that what continues to amaze me is that in my experience people still LOVE this ride. The tech is relatively dated, but it's just so well-executed. Peter Pan's Flight is also dated as hell, but that's always got one of the longest lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.