main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars Costumes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Must be the glasses.... :cool:

3. ID-2132

ID-2132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    If it was not one of the 501st people...I know of someone who does vacuuforming for a living. You have seen those Fetts running around Baycon and Silicon. My friend Wil is the big white-haired, bearded Klingon who was running around at Wondercon .
    You might wanna talk to him. :)

4. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Well... He DID do that music video on the Boardwalk now...

*bobs his head with the guys buried up to their necks in the sand*

If this is it, Do-wop, plllease let me know...

5. ID-2132

ID-2132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Hi everyone.

I just finished sewing my Yule jacket from Harry Potter. I still have to work on a few accessories, but for the most part, it's done.

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Right on! Congratulations and are we going to get to see it at BayCon? (hint hint hint!) :)

7. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Good on ya, mate! *thumbs up*

8. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks for the reference! :)

9. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Shameless Self-Promotion by Kai...Darth Revan Mask

I finished my mask-sculpt. Tomorrow, we'll work on casting and (time permitting) vacuforming! Wheeee! Here's the sculpt (click link to see it undistorted):

[image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000seh49/s640x480.jpg]

LOL! This will SO not be a surprise by the time I'm done with it, because I will inundate you all with WAY TOO MANY in-progress photos! But if I can't share the joy with my peeps in the SCFF, who CAN I share it with? :)

- Kai

10. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    [face_dancing] Looking Good!!! Keep Sharing Away!!!!! :D

11. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks! :) Is it so wrong of me to be thrilled at the idea of platform boots and Sithy eyeballs?

- Kai, a little worried about self

12. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    No more than me getting emotional over some machined metal cylindar with a blue light-up polycarbonate tube coming out of it! ;)

13. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I get emotional over that, too.

Green tubing, though. ;)

14. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Wow, Kai, that looks awesome!! I can't wait to see more progress pictures.

I'm currently working on a Nirrti costume (Stargate), with an frighteningly close target date of Starfest in mid April.

15. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Unless it... nope, not gonna go there.

*slaps his hands over his mouth*

16. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I've put together a quick research and reference page for My Nirrti costume, here. Sadly, progress forward has hit more snags and been slower than I would like, but hopefully things will turn around today.

17. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I missed this post! Sorry!

How is the costume working out, since it's been a few weeks since you said you'd hit snags, etc.

For my part, I am now convinced that Revan turned to the Dark Side because of long evenings spent measuring the correct proportions for battle armor.

Yes, I'm sure of it. I haven't flung a Sharpie pen across the room for a long time!

- Kai

18. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Alcohol removes Sharpie permanent ink.

At least it did when I cleaned up the circuit card at work.

*grumbles while he redraws ID numbers on 150 tiny metal can transistors*

19. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, better a sharpie than some of the objects I've flung!

My new SW outfit will hopefully be done by ComicCon, and now I just learned yesterday that I've got a second Jedi to get going on (Old Ben -- yeah yeah yeah I know I know..I've heard it often enough. ..LOL [face_laugh] - But it's been requested for a couple of years now.. I was just fighting it.. but looks like that one will be coming in too. But at least having a chance to take my time and get it accurate. (Ah the joys of accuracy... Right Guys!?!?! (*looks at the possibility of more objects being thown across the room...*) :D But my other one is surprise! LOL)

PoC stuff is coming along wonderfully... savvy? ;)

Hang in there all of you costumers... it is worth it..isn't it?

20. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    It's worth it...! At least, with this time and expense...it'd better be! LOL!!!! I can't wait to see everybody's new stuff at Baycon. Old Ben! Yay! PoC! Yay!!!!! Other SW costume! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Ok, just an update on the Revan costume, since I was grumbling about it a few days ago: Mask, vambrace and hand armor are almost ready to be painted (they need a little sanding and fine-tuning). The cuirass (chest armor) is FINALLY sculpted (after some flinging of Sharpie pens). So, it needs clean-up (some of the lines are a little...er...organic) and then I can vac over it, sand it, paint it.

So, it IS coming along, finally!

Cuirass: [image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000tqhwz/s640x480.jpg]
    [image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000tpf16/s640x480.jpg]

For way too many in-progress photos with blurbs and random blather, you can go here:
    http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/gallery/00024cgy?.view=single

- Kai

22. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    /\ The inprogress pics look GREAT, Kai! So is Raven going to make their grand appearance at BayCon? (huh huh huh huh?)

I'm really impressed. (Need you to come down and show us how to do a few things! - Seriously!)

(But don't forget my favorite Hobbit. It's just not a con unless I see Frodo running about..even if for a few min!) LOL (ducks from sharpie being thrown):D

23. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Good photo ops in the hills right now for Hobbits, the trees are covered in thick bushy green moss, everything is bright green, the sunlight is diffuse from the cloud cover, so there are no sharp shadows, the lighting is very even. Also plenty of clinging fog and mists, it's all very Celtic Legend looking.

And the waterfalls in the parks must be spectacular. Haven't actually been to Big Basin or Castle State Park to see them, but the little ones right off the road are going like mad right now.

Plus some of the gooey mudslide areas look a lot like Mordor too, very oozy and lava flow like. Where the mudslides have pulled away the hillsides, the remaining mud and soil is a yellow orange clay or mud, a little tinting with photo shop and it'd look pretty cool.

Not that I'd advise of taking pics in front of a recent mudslide right now, rocks keep tumbling into the road all the time right now from them.

24. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm aiming to finish Revan by Baycon, yes. That's the plan, at least!

I hadn't intended to bring Frodo along this year--for one thing, my hair is much too long and much to light!!! Although I may end up having to trim it and redye it for a con later this year. But right now, I just don't look very Frodo-y, in that sense. I know some people will argue that I still do, but I don't think Frodo is Frodo without dark hair. :)

LOL! Show you a few things? You do realize I have never done any of these techniques before, right? I am a complete n00b!

Sid, I bet the SC is gorgeous right now...the parts that aren't sliding off the hills, that is. Boy, this is a wet season.

25. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    BTW, nice work, looking forward to seeing the final product.

And yeah, it's been pretty bad, highway 9 is open/closed/open/closed etc. I like rain, but we need a break.

Total rainfall since 1st of October: 59 inches.

Gurgle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.