main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars Costumes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Hey, in that second Klingon pic, isn't that Mitchell and Gene Paxton? I remember Mitchell singing "He's Fat" by Al Yankovic at a party, karaoke style.

And Gene...

I still remember him at the convention as the giant Ewok with the over peace bonded staff. Thing had more cable ties than Fry's Electronics. I was dressed in Klingon and kept calling his name, he didn't recognize me. Later he approached me to "borrow" the headpiece to do a Klingon/Gilligan's Island crossover.

I just ran across Gene's autograph that we did at a convention. You see we were all in costume and sitting at the empty autograph table and started acting as though they were famous and started getting their autographs.. then some other fans came up who didn't know them but figured they had better get their siggys since they were there...

We laughed for YEARS over that one.

Gene and Rob Comstock used to be real trouble, now Rob is working in law enforcement as a parole officer I believe.

2. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Oh, I know! Don't worry, I didn't take it that way at all. Any and all pressure comes solely from myself and from thoughts of "Look! Wouldn't it be so cool to join in and participate?? :D" or "Yiii! Wouldn't it be so fun to have this costume for this event??"

But yeah, it's looking rather dubious for getting Bastila done for Baycon. Theoretically, the project at work was suppose to be done over a week ago; instead, it's dragging on... and on... and on... pretty much all I do is work, sleep, and commute. I did actually open up my research page a couple of days ago and look at it. Does that count as progress? :p

I really can't wait to see your Revan costume, though!! How is it coming?

I did get to see the Shaak Ti costume at Starfest. Very, very cool, and very well done! I just wish I'd had a chance to get some pictures.

3. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    :D Ahh Torchsong Trilogy...just got ANOTHER HUGE residual check from them ...
    (12 whole cents....one of the bigger ones [face_laugh] )

4. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    I know that "rather dubious" feeling. It's looking more and more lilke Capt Jack may not be making it to BayCon as well. The boots have to be remade... so they are being sent back...and THEN "aged". "Effects" have not arrived yet. Proper aging takes time....(gotta make sure age spots line up). And this is one outfit I DO NOT want to rush. It is coming along, slowly, surely, but there is a whole lot more to it than I thought. (Jedi's are NOTHING compared to this Bad Boy.) Good news is that friends who have seen and worked with the originals (both PoTC I and II) are helping me with those little details that you miss most of the time. So it's really becoming a group project with lots of people investing their time and expertise on this. (Really a labor of love for all of us involved ) And, besides, this one has a lot of personal meaning for me. So, rather than throw it together for the con, I may pull back a bit and just take my time making sure "he" is the way I want him to be before unleashing him on the masses...

Sooo, Kenobi will be there..and hopefully another SW surprise!

5. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    *sniff*

Dammit, you keep reminding me of the Pirates costumes.

:(

You see we were commissioned for a number of years to create a haunted house museum of props and costumes. We did pretty good considering the budget was ultra stingy, stocked mostly replicas but scored on a few screen used props through auctions, connections and such. It was great to get to set the things up and dress the displays, but we were always a bit wistful as we didn't get to keep the props, they went into storage for the next year or moved to another location.

One year we got a tip on the Pirates of the Caribbean costumes and props. We were looking for something affordable yet dramatic and scored on the hero outfits for Grapple and Bosun, two of the second line characters. The outfits were complete from head to toe, belts, gloves, boots, everything. When the outfits arrived I took them out to inspect them and was at first puzzled by the grit on the boot soles then it dawned it was SAND from the set.

Coooooooool.

Sadly we again were giving them up, couldn't afford the $1800 each outfit went for, they are now in storage for a someday pirate restaurant planned for San Francisco. But until the deal is worked out, they are stored in some warehouse like Indy's Ark.

*Sigh*

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    /\ Hopefully, they will have that Pirate place going soon. (Would LOVE to be there).

Some of Jack's effects have arrived...at least a certain cursed necklace ("Well, Isn't THAT interesting." And his outfit does have a few...um..."extremely accurate" pieces to it ;) *wink wink nudge nudge nudge say no more say no more!

But, yeah, definitely not going to rush it. Besides, it's Jack..you don't rush him at all..unless HE wants to be rushed !! [face_laugh] And apparently right now, he doesn't want to be rushed!!

(Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have taken that coin from that rather large stone chest....)

Still looking forward to the Convention, new and old costumes and, mainly, FAMILY!!!!!!

Hugs to all,

Kim

7. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Random costume update. It WILL be done for Baycon! It WILL, it WILL! ARGH! But having some slight difficulties, like resin on the mask that never cured properly and won't accept paint in spots and other charming annoyances. Still, here's a glimpse of the chest armor (mostly) painted (but not detailed yet) and the hand armor:

[image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000wt23r/s640x480.jpg]
    [image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000wag6k/s640x480.jpg]

And I got my eyeballs! Eyeball test...

[image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000wyqaz.jpg]
    [image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000x0qwh/s640x480.jpg]

As always, sorry for the squished thumbnails. Not my fault. Clicky on the pic to see a larger, undistorted version.

For the rest...there may be a sneak peak photo before Baycon. Or not. Depends on timing. But I'm no good at keeping secret costumes unless I must for a masquerade performance, so if it does get done you'll all see it...

- Kai, harried

8. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Oooooooooh Pretty New Eyeballs!!!!!!

Hang in there (HUGE HUG) I competely and totally understand the frustration with the costume.

The Good Captain is still being a bit elusive...but is getting better.

But, if nothing else...we're gonna be at BAYCON!!!!!!!![face_dancing]

9. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    [face_dancing] YEA!!!!!!!

11. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    *holds his hand up in front of his face*

Don't look Marion!

AAHHHHH! I looked into the eyes of Kai!

*face melts, lightning strikes, giant boulders come rolling after a jeep somewhere...*

12. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Ya HAD to go and look, didn't ya.

Way to go... DAD!

13. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Squeee!

I just got into the 501st!

http://www.501st.com/members/displaymember.cfm?userID=6651&costumeID=7

Squeee!

[image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/0010c2fk.jpg]
    [image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/0010ebxy.jpg]

(I apologize to my SCFF peeps who are also 501sters and have already endured my squeeing in other venues...)

Squeee!

14. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    "For all that is good, Master Frodo... destroy the ring!!! Look what it has done to you!!"

(On another note..CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a member of the 501st :D ..But, I didn't know that 501st members went SQUEEEEEEE! ;)

15. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Oh absolutely we go "Squeeee!"...especially when we get a new girl in the Garrison so I don't feel completely alone (except for Pam of course!)!!

SQUEEEEE! *hugs* welcome to the CCG!

16. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Congrats!

17. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    LOL! Man, it DOES have an effect, doesn't it?

18. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    YAY! Thank you! *hugs back*

Which reminds me, I MUST check the RL boards! I've been scarce!

*goes off to do so*

19. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    So, Taeriel...going to CIV? Bringing Bastila?

I am having this sudden hankering to figure out a masquerade KOTOR entry for CIV...for some odd reason, I thought of you!

And no, I don't have a concept yet, so this is purely me daydreaming, here...

- Kai

20. ID-2132

ID-2132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Speaking of Pirates, here's pics from the pirates movie premiere weekend, over at Emery Bay.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/johny__b/CIMG2264a.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/johny__b/CIMG2253.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/johny__b/CIMG2272.jpg

21. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Hey, I think I know a couple of those scallywags. :)

22. ID-2132

ID-2132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Yep, Mitchell, and Tami are both in the 501st.

Oh, and Sid...yep, those pics were of Gene Paxton and Mitchell as Klingons.

23. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    *Throws self at ID-2132* YOU HAVE BEEN MISSED!!!!!

(And...poss new outfits on this end soon... *GRIN*)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.