main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[New] Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Visual Dictionary

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Alexrd, May 25, 2011.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    nope he is not either

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    If we find out Jerus Jannick is a hard-drinking womanizer who is behind on his alimony and would hate to be assigned to the boats, I'd buy this in a heart beat.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I've just received it, and gave it a quick overview. Overall, I liked it. More pictures and information. And Mat Rags?! That was a great TPM game reference. =D=

However, I have a few minor complaints:

- Yoda's page has a picture of puppet Yoda (I hope this gets fixed when we get a Saga Expanded Visual Dictionary);
    - Some EU information that I personally don't like because it somewhat contradicts the movies. Like Ki-Adi-Mundi being a Jedi Knight while on the Council, when Anakin complains in RotS about how this had never happened in the history of the Order.

But again, overall I quite liked it.

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Ah, hell. You're right re puppet Yoda. Those were all supposed to be changed out, but that one got missed -- probably because from that angle puppet Yoda looks pretty close to the CGI one.

The KAM reference uses "Jedi Knight" generically -- same description notes that he holds the rank of Master.

Glad you liked it overall -- it was fun to add new stuff and bring the descriptions/narrative more in line with the rest of the prequels, whether it was discussing Qui-Gon, Sidious's plot or even the minor detail of what battle droids are supposed to look like. Plus of course there are little bits meant to reward hardcore fans with sharp eyes.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, I found another puppet Yoda picture but both are ambiguous enough to not cause any big trouble.

Quite right. As I said, I gave a quick overview, and somehow didn't read the whole description. Sorry about that. ;)

You did a good job.

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I note that the bit about Qui-Gon having had three apprentices is still in this version of the Dictionary, even though that was up in the air for a long time...does this mean we might finally get to see Qui-Gon's first apprentice at some point?

TC

7. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    His first apprentice was seen in the "Jedi-The Dark Side" comic series.

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Three apprentices counts Obi-Wan, right?

1. Feemor
    2. Xanatos
    3. Obi-Wan

9. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    Right, Feemor being the one introduced in Jedi-The Dark Side.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Does the Visual Dictionary call Qui-Gon's Padawan before Xanatos, Feemor now?

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I had no inclination to buy this since I already have the first, but seeing is the Greatest Hunter the Galaxy Has Ever Known is in it (by name?!), I'm just gonna have to fork over the dough.

12. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    No that's explicitly from Jedi: The Dark Side.

13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I realize that, but Feemor was originally indirectly mentioned in the original TPM Visual Dictionary.

14. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Oh wow; is that part of the back and forth of he had two; wait no he had three that others talk about?

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, three. Even Xanatos was indirectly mentioned as well. "Qui-Gon earned the rank of Master when he trained his first Padawan apprentice to Knighthood, although his second apprentice failed to become a Knight. Obi-Wan is Qui-Gon's third Padawan..."

I was wondering if Feemor, and now I guess Xanatos, are now named in the newest edition of the VD.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Buy it, and he may give you a Krayt Dragon thooth. ;)