main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars Fan Comic ( http://www.fandomcomics.com )

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by NarCranor, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    Greetings,

Hey, my name is Keith Kappel, and I am one of the writers over at www.fandom.swnsu.com which opened this May 13th. Its an online Star Wars fan comic that focuses on General Airen Cracken and his team of intelligence field operatives and their struggle against the Ubiqtorate (imperial intelligence) for control of a technology that could change the course of the galactic civil war.

We also host original fan-fiction and RPG material, and we will continue to add more in the future.

Please check the site out and let me know what you think.

Cheers,

2. Valacar

Valacar Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2004
    Hey I've checked out the site and everything looks pretty sweet. I love the subject you guys are covering and in that time period too. The art looks fantastic and it looks like your characters could be even better.

hey Anstrona o_O

Everbody should check the site out. These guys are on to something. :)

3. Clone-Commando_1198A

Clone-Commando_1198A Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2004
    I agree this site is great. I thought that the short story was great, especially that guy who had the surname Vader (hey it could happen!).

I hope to see more from this site. The comic is very well done. (Especially since it only has four pages and i'm already hooked)

4. Princess_Amidala

Princess_Amidala Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    I have checked out the web-site i am impressed so far i hope that you will add more to it and i will be looking forward for more information to be placed on this site.

Good luck for the future because you are doing well.

5. Anstrona

Anstrona Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    Hey all, Tron here for this week's update. This week Fandom Comics brings you another short story written by our Keith Kappel. This one entitled "A Clone in the Dark" about a group of stormtroopers who run into a little bit of trouble while exploring the mines of Af'El. We hope you enjoy it.

Fandom Comics

6. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Hey everyone, this week we posted another D20 update, this time featuring the brave men and women of General Airen Cracken's Rebel Ops Team. We also have stats for the demolitionist prestige class, and some more explosives! Lots of great background bio information on the characters too, check it out!

7. Anstrona

Anstrona Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    In addition to adding the Rebel Ops team RPG file (which we're very interested to hear your opinions on - especially on the Demolitionist Prestige Class), I've also updated the Imperial RPG file with a few stat changes and made the file much smaller (634KB zipped down from 4.4M) and Steve has been changing things around in the sketchbook area and has posted 5 very nice sketches of various characters from the Cracken's Crew comic. So post here or on the forums on our site and let us know what you think!

8. Danrizzy

Danrizzy Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    looks great! keep up the good work!

9. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, we posted page 4 of the comic book today! Give it a look-see and let us know what you think of it.

10. Danrizzy

Jun 15, 2005
    i like your style; very clear about what is happening, but you knwo that there is something dark and menacing occuring. The colour scheme is perfect for the atmosphere

11. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Thanks for the kind words dan, Steve works hard to bring the readers the best looking pages possible!

12. Danrizzy

Jun 15, 2005
    thats ok. keep up the good work!

13. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Hey everyone, this week we posted another chapter of the Battle of Heg novella. This particular chapter introduces the imperial adversaries of the tale. Please check it out and let us know what you think!

14. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know we posted page 5 of our comic today. Let us know what you think!

15. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Hey everyone! this week we posted chapter 3 of the battle of heg, a 12 chapter novella detailing the origin of one of the leads of the Cracken's Crew comic, Breen Baskalar!

16. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Allright, it's August 1st and time for a new update. I tried to fill this update out with a little more meat to it since we're updating less often. So this time we have page 6 of Cracken's Crew - the final page of the "silent film" scene. I've also added extra large versions of all the current pages: meant to be viewed at 1600x1200 resolution so they're pretty huge - but they can be viewed at any resolution because I made the pop-up scrollable. Last but not least I wanted to point out that I've been posting some interesting stuff on the forums lately, specifically a reference document all about the Grand Army of the Republic for those who want to write fan fiction set in the Clone Wars era. For the RPG enthusiests I've also been doing a write-up on the Kalee species (General Grevious' species) that seems to be pretty well received on the Wizards forum and the SWRPGNetwork Forum. So jump into the conversations and provide some input.

17. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, it took me a while, but I got another chapter done for the Battle of Heg novella. The image is something drawn from an official source by Douglas Shuler. Douglas was kind enough to give us his blessing to use the image as a placeholder until Chris or Steve find the time to create an image for the chapter. For more of Mr. Shuler's work, check out his website http://www.douglasshuler.com.

Today's update also includes a new forum mod, which allows you to choose if you want to have your forum rank badge be Imperial or Rebel themed. Choosing this can be done in the profile section of the forums. Note that you will only receive a rank badge if you achieve an officer ranking, but the rank title will change depending on which side you choose.

Speaking of the forums, there has been a LOT of activity on the boards since our last update, including a detailed dissertation by Ryan Brooks on the organization of the Grand Army of the Republic. Several posts have been added to the initial one, and the finished post can be read http://fandom.swnsu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63. There have been several other updates on the forums as well, including research papers, short fiction, another fan comic book by one of our readers, and a lot of general discussion. Click on the "forums" link at the bottom of the navigation menu on the left to join, and let us know what you think of today's update.

18. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    We posted up page 7 of the comic book today, and our artist really outdid himself! Give it a look and let us know what you think! We also posted up a links section that gives credit to a lot of the sites we use for research.

19. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    This month we have a standalone short story entitled Cheedak's Last Hunt. It is basically an origin story for one of the members of the Rebel Ops team in the comic, a Rodian named Reeto. The story is accented by a beautiful piece drawn by our own Steve Criado. Check it out and let us know what you think!

20. Anstrona

Anstrona Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    For this update we bring you a whole bunch of goodies. First we present to you page 8 of Cracken's Crew: The Invisible War. In this page we see a bit more on our heroes and how they interact with eachother - particularly Reeto and Sadorssk. Secondly, I've put up a download section on the site where we can offer things like wallpapers. Inside you'll find two wallpapers available in two resolutions each illustrated by Steve Criado and compiled by myself. Enjoy!

21. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    That is a pretty nice looking site. The colors are nice on the eyes, and it is a great looking Star Wars site. The drawings are pretty awesome too. Good job with this.

However, in the comic, I was slightly confused about what was happening. It took me a couple times to get it. You may want to lessen the confusion factor. :p

Overall, a good site. :)

22. Anstrona

Anstrona Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    Thanks! I'm glad you like the site and I'll be sure to tell our artists you enjoy their work.

As far as the comic goes, really what it's conveying so far is pretty basic. You're supposed to not know exactly what's going on aside from the obvious. We snuck in some Aurabesh text that might lend to figuring out what the reader will find out later in the issue...for those who can read Aurabesh, which we were banking on the majority not being able to do just that. So I'd consider it kind of an Easter Egg. In hindsight though releasing 6 pages of what is essentially a silent film wasn't the smartest move, on paper it was only 6 pages but in reality it was a couple of months worth of updates which hadn't really dawned on us until we got a few comments on the various boards about it, but that's why hindsight is 20/20. On our future titles we'll be releasing them in 4-6 page chunks rather than a page at a time like our current title. It should provide for easier reading. Until then, I hope you all continue to enjoy the comic (we're up to page 8 now and meeting the stars of the comic) and the rest of the content on the site. Thanks again!

23. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Today we have page 9 of the comic posted! One of the best pages to come out yet! Tron really did a bang up job lettering it, check it out!

24. NarCranor

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, page 10 of the comic was posted today, and Steve did a great job as always! In any case, I want to invite everyone to come check out our forums and let us know what you are thinking of the entire site so far! Also, I want everyone to be on the lookout for another preview of our Fan-Made Clone Wars D20 Sourcebook, a chapter of which should get posted on the 1st of the new year!

25. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Oh wow, I had never seen this site before. Superb design and very talented crew you guys obviously have for all aspects of the site. I might have to start checking in to read those comics on a regular basis! Keep it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.