main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars RPG Core Rulebook Coming!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Geoff1138, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Moridin just had to come in and "regulate" on folks at WotC posting info verbtim from the book...

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Without any information from the book, I can only go off of what Palpatine told Anakin in ROTS which is that he studied BOTH dogmas of Jedi and Sith, so that's not *necessarily* unrealistic or out of place, per se...

3. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Looks like they've linked a PDF of the character sheet to the product page.

4. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999

It wasn't regulating so much as trying to keep anyone from getting into trouble. Glad people are liking the book and want to talk about it, but you know how LFL can get about their IP...

5. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003

Apologies. I was going to be a bit more vaugue on some of that stuff, but it was pretty early in the morning and I'd just gotten home from work.

Yeah, I totally forgot about that. I need to watch Sith more often.

6. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I s'pose "regulate" was too harsh a term... :p

7. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I have the book now, I've been quivering with nerdgasmic glee all weekend! My regular game group meets this week, and I'm running a demo at my FLGS this coming weekend.

So far I'm wildly optimistic, and we'll see what happens once the rubber hits the road in actually running something.

8. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    I have a copy, too. Very, very psyched. There are a few things I want to tweak, but overall, this is the best SW RPG system I've ever seen, and I've been playing since WEG 1st ed.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    How's the Destiny mechanic, diz?

10. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    It's an optional rule. Either the PC chooses a Destiny, or the GM gives the character a secret Destiny. Heroic, non-heroic, droid, it doesn't matter. R2-D2, for example, has Destiny points =D= You pick up Destiny points every time you level.

At the GM's determination, actions taken that detract from your Destiny give you a temporary penalty, actions that move you toward your Destiny give you a temporary bonus, and if you fulfill your Destiny, you get a permanent bonus.

As shown in the Rules Preview, you can spend a Destiny point to "auto-crit." One of the designers also revealed in a WotC message board thread that you can also spend a Destiny point to make an opponent "auto-miss," even after all results have been determined. You can do other fun stuff with Destiny points as well.

Sample Destinies given include Destruction (Lando and the Death Star, Anakin and the Sith), Redemption (Luke redeeming Vader, also a sample "secret Destiny), Corruption (Darth Sidious and Anakin), Education (Obi-Wan and the Skywalkers), and Discovery (Kyle Katarn & the Valley of the Jedi, Qui-Gon & Anakin)

Once you've fulfilled your Destiny, in addition to gaining a permanent bonus of some sort, you cna either bequeath any remaining Destiny points to your allies, or choose a new Destiny. Until you choose a new Destiny, you can't spend any Destiny points (if you have any)

If a character dies in the process of fulfilling their Destiny, any number of benefits can occur, but one possibility is that a character "will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" ;)

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    does the book have force flight?

13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Nope. However, going by the RAW, you can use the Force to hurl the Death Star at somebody :eek:

14. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    It's a talent from the Witches of Dathomir talent tree.

15. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I got it and skimmed it. I don't see any conversion guides like in the OCRB which helped you convert your character stats from d6 to d20. Are there any plans on making these in the future for converting d6 to Saga and OCRB/RCRB to Saga?

16. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    They're supposed to be on the WOTC website soon.

We just converted my group last night, but we didn't so much convert as rebuild. That's probably the best way with characters. With ships and monsters and PrCs and stuff, who knows?

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Ditto. It took awhile for my gamers to wrap their heads around some of the changes. Granted, one of them was my wife who was reading the rulebook for the first time while trying to nurse our screaming 4 month old, soooo...

But once we ran a scenario, everybody was very pleased with ease of play. One of them even gave me a hug [:D]

18. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    heh cool..

I have a few qualms with it so far, I just got my saga edition today, so have only had a chance for a quick flick through, but Battle Meditation from the Jedi Guardian talent tree seems to bare little resemblence to what we see in TotJ/Kotor era, Clone Wars era (Rancisis), Thrawn era (C'Baoth), D6, RCR Rules... It reminds me more of the battle meld which the YJK's used in Star By Star than 'proper' battle meditation. No foes turning on eachother and losing their conviction, no Force Harmony stylee Dark Side resistance.

Plus Sever Force is no longer a long term effect, which I think Ulic Qel Droma might have something to say about. I think this must have something to do with the destiny mechanic, but heck, unless Nomi spent 50 destiny points I don't see how that works.

It suit's Jacen's treatment in Traitor down to a tee, but how could Vergere, a so-called Sith herself, invoke this power against someone fractionally as dark as herself?

gripes aside, I love pretty much everything in the book, I just have to wait for some other sourcebooks so I can make my Force Warrior style guy

19. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    A question about the various talent trees that have been presented: once I take a talent from a certain tree, am I stuck with that particular talent tree, or can I choose to take talents from other trees?

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Its good to see that force flight survived at least in the witches talent tree section.

21. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    Overall, my biggest gripe right now is that the Dark Side mechanics are totally and completely back-asswards. The gambling rules suck, too.

Otherwise, it's brilliant and a HUGE improvement over previous editions or other D20 games I've seen in general.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Currently, my gaming group is vacillating between "antipathy" and "effigy for Owen KC Stephens" (I'm pretty much entirely on the former :p)... I actually had to stop reading the book last night and just go to sleep, I was so annoyed with it. :(

I think our GM is going to treat it like a sourcebook. I think he's adapting maybe 3 things out of the entire book and discarding the rest.

23. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    You guys are nuts. This is a huge improvement everywhere except for the horrible, horrible Dark Side rules. Combat, skill use, starships, the Force, class structure, everything (with that one huge, glaring exception) is so much better as to defy belief.

What don't you like?

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Granted, I'm only up to the Force section, since that's when I had to stop reading but:

- The simplification of the skill system was TOO oversimplified. There are so fewer skills now it's almost like cookie-cutter characters. I can understand the rationale for changing the way trained/untrained skills work but not at the expense of cutting it down to so few skills.
    - The talents and feats are... not good in my opinion. Talents especially just seem worthless and there don't really seem like enough of them in any sort of true tree-like structure to be of any use in differentiating characters along various concept lines.
    - Jedi ARE more powerful than equal-levelled classes of non-Jedi; this is canonical to the movies for the most part and it's my GM's main gripe (and one I share to a lesser extent). There are plenty of ways for a GM to balance Jedi and Sith in the game using his own devices rather than the game artificially doing it for him and being wrong about it.
    - I personally find the deflect rules to be horrible and non-canonical (especially as I'm watching ROTS last night and ROTJ last week and watching like sixteen blaster shots being deflected in the span of 6 seconds). Is it possible I misunderstood the rules? Sure, but it sounded like it's a incremental -5 to your DEF each shot you deflect...
    - It also sounded to me like you had to burn a feat to learn more Force powers one you learned your initial suite. And don't get me started on the suite thing again.

Things I've liked thus far (I'm not wholly into hatred of the thing):
    - I like that Rodney adapted a version of the Spycraft "action dice" type of thing for Force points.
    - The VP/WP merge into HP does make a ton of sense when you run the numbers.
    - I think we're going to use some sort of Reflex Defense-type thing while using the entire rest of the RCRB d20 rules. We may adapt some starship combat rules as well.

By the by, I've played SWRPG since pretty much back in 1989 with this same GM; yes, we were 13-14 at the time and using WEG 1st edition rules, then upgraded to 2nd edition, etc. So we've been at this a long, long time...

25. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    I'm still reading my copy, but aren't they also cutting down on the number of attack rolls you make? So even if someone shoots 16 times, they might be only rolling twice, and the other person then only makes two defense/deflect rolls? The whole point was to streamline combat by reducing rolls that can be described elaborately without spending six hours getting through 6 seconds of combat...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.