main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars RPG Core Rulebook Coming!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Geoff1138, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

WEG was very good at painting the picture of the SWU for players, by flavour text. WOTC, not so much. :(

ES

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
  3. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    But when WEG was doing it, there was no EU to speak of, and doing so laid the foundations for the EU we know. Now, though, there's a lot of stuff out there, and it would just be redundant.

WEG had to build a SW universe big enough to adventure in. WOTC has to stat out an already existing universe.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, maybe not in the beginning, but then again they had the Corporate sector sourcebook, Dark empire, jedi academy trilogy, thrawn trilogy... yeah, not much EU...

5. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    wait a minute, i'm a WEG man at heart but dizfactor has a point. The continuity folks look at things with much more scrutiny nowadays. Do you think Zahn could throw his weight around and get them to move the NJO series a few years further down the line because it doesn't meet with his story ideas?

6. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    ... Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook, SotE Planets Guide, Truce at Bakura Sourcebook, Cracken's Threat Dossier (combining Courtship of Princess Leia, Black Fleet Chrisis Trilogy and Corellian Trilogy), the cancelled X-Wing: Rogue Squadron Sourcebook... yep, not much EU. And yet the 2nd Ed R&E Rulebook still had tons of flavor stuff.

7. Pawnnolonger

Pawnnolonger Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    I'm going to put the Outlaw Tech tree to imediate use

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Now, no.
    Then, YES!
    Zahn's books were a tremendous influence and had lots of pull. Had he demanded it, and if the other authors weren't dead-set opposed to it, I think he could have made the change. Fortunately, he's both an extremely good author and not a raving egomaniac, so he could work around any framework given him.

Thanks Gry. Always good to have backup. [:D]

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Just a quick question: who here would be keen to try (again, and properly this time!) a post-by-post Saga Ed. RPG? For people like Koohii, who are pure hearted WEG'ists (the rightly so, WEG was a godsend), we can explain the rules to them...

Any takers? Interested GM's?

E_S

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I`d be interested, given my lack of book.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm being told Leia, Padmé and Palpatine are listed as speaking High Galactic. Cool obscure EU reference. :)

12. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Count me in as well. I'm already running a live SAGA session and both the PBP RCB games I'm involved with are considering switching over from RCB.

Asides from wishing for more stats, all in all I've got to say the SAGA has certainly done its job well in regards to speeding up a session.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There's a great thread on WOTC's boards with fan-updated stats for ships, for one thing.

I might move the post-by-post discussion to another thread.

ES

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "I'm with you too!"

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm sorry, but you're exactly backwards with the history.

LFL defined canon and universal constants to WEG who wrote the RPG and this got interpretted into the "bible" that all of the EU authors under Bantam then had to use. Which also explains why Kathy Tyers, Zahn, Stackpole, etc. were all heavily involved with, and in some cases directly wrote for, WEG supplments based on their materials.

When Del Rey/WOTC got the licenses respectively, it reversed and now the RPG has to catch up to the crap that happens in the books which means more and more continuity gets out of whack each time. Except for Denning, who still writes Jedi like he was using D6 since he wrote that stuff. :p

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Pity that Denning is on my list of "Authors I can't stand". He may be able to do rule books, but his fiction writing is awful.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm with Koohii on this. And dp, only if Jedi have on average 10D per stat minimum, with Alter usually pushing 12D. :p

E_S

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Luke got that far in about 9-10 years of training. No reason why the people he had doing it (with 30+ years) wouldn't be there either... :p

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Or Mr Denning just gave out too many character points for force training? ;)

E_S

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    CAn anyone PST me the entry for the X-Wing in the Saga Edition?

21. Zak-Zahar

Zak-Zahar Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    X-Wing - Chapter 10: Vehicles, section Starfighters, p. 178, to be precise. :)

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  23. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
  24. MasterKazur

MasterKazur Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey guys. I "made" these Anakin Skywalker stats for RotS for the new edition. I can't really say that I made them because I just used the Darth Vader stats from the Saga Edition and backpedaled a bit:). These should be 100% accurate.

[image=http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/star_wars__episode_iii___revenge_of_the_sith/hayden_christensen/sith4.jpg]

Anakin Skywalker (Revenge of the Sith) - CL 14
    Medium Human Jedi 7Jedi Knight 5/ace pilot 2
    Destiny 3; Force 8, Strong in the Force; Dark Side 5
    Init +15; Senses Perception +8
    Languages Basic, Huttese

Defenses Ref 31 (28 flat-footed), Fort 29, Will 27; Block, Deflect
    hp 135; Threshold 29

Speed 6 squares
    Melee lightsaber +18 (2d8+15) or
    Melee lightsaber +16 (3d8+15) with Rapid Strike or
    Melee lightsaber +13/+13 (2d8+15) with Double Attack or
    Melee lightsaber +11/+11 (3d8+15) with Double Attack and Rapid Strike
    Ranged by weapon +16
    Base Atk +13; Grp +16
    Atk Options Double Attack, Rapid Strike, Severing Strike
    Special Actions Djem So, Redirect Shot, vehicle dodge +1
    Force Powers Known (Use the Force +18): farseeing, Force slam, move object, surge
    Force Techniques Force Point Recovery, Improved Move Light Object

Abilities Str 16, Dex 17, Con 17, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 14
    Talents Block, Deflect, Djem So, Force Pilot, Redirect Shot, Severing Strike, Vehicular Evasion, Weapon
    Specialization (lightsabers)
    Feats Double Attack, Force Sensitivity, Force Training (2), Rapid Strike, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Strong in the
    Force, Vehicular Combat, Weapon Focus (lightsabers), Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers, simple weapons)
    Skills Initiative +15, Mechanics +13, Pilot +15, Use the Force +18
    Possessions lightsaber (self-built), comlink (encrypted), Jedi robes, cybernetic prosthesis (1, forearm), utility belt with medpac

25. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    well a new Jedi Counselling went up on the second of august. Now anyone and anything can be a Jedi, force sensitive or not, while blocking off talents that require an ability to use the Force. I thought that's what feat choice was about? And roleplaying...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.