main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars RPG Core Rulebook Coming!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Geoff1138, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  2. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    while not beingthat experianced of a player, i'mnot sure how i feel about the skill system changes and the vp/wp change, but the arguements for the changes make sense. The class chnages were exactly what i was hoping for. While it sounds like the book is going to be light on EU content, it does sound like the designers did a lot of research and that the book will be Eu friendly.

3. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    The VP/WP change is quite silly, in my opinion. I mean, we finally get a system that makes sense, and now we're going back to hit points? Puhleeease. [face_talk_hand]

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I hope that space combat is sorted, it's daft that a 20 level soldier (for example) with a +23 pilot skill is just as easy to shoot down as a 1st level whatever.

Why doesn't pilotting ability apply to dodging? tis silly

5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    An ability of the Starship Ace PrC (and Jedi Ace, IIRC) allows you to make an opposed roll to avoid taking damage. The Ace makes a pilot check vs. the shooter's attack roll.

6. Darkside4life

Darkside4life Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2006
    I am looking forward to the revamp of some of the game mechanics. I think that by elementating a few of the classes, it will give the player more flexability in the direction he wants to go with his character.

I also enjoy the fact that they have removed the gaurdian/consolur spilt. I didn't like the division the game made between the Jedi were the movies and books did not.

Plus with a new release comes new matrial, which unfortantly has been very hard to come by latly.

7. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    There's really no guarantee of new rules, unless the SE does really well in sales.

8. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    True but how many expert pilots are there in the sw galaxy that have been statted with 9 levels of starship ace?

I say 9 levels because the EU sources always refer to dodging attacks through piloting skill, and the only way to avoid all damage is to be level 9, yet still that isn't being missed it's being hit yet avoiding the damage

9. HansHunkyChest

HansHunkyChest Jedi Master star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    How is piloting a vehicle like dodging a punch?

10. Donp

Donp Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2003
    Because when you're piloting in combat the goal is probably to avoid being hit, meaning that it is logical for good pilots to be able to avoid being hit.

Han Solo is probably one of the top 5 pilots in the Galaxy. He, at the start of the NJO has only 5 levels in the Starship Ace Class. And in A new Hope when he is already great (Pilot +18) he has no levels in that class.

Ergo, great pilots shouldn't need the SA class, and they should be harder to hit!

11. HansHunkyChest

HansHunkyChest Jedi Master star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    There's a cognitive disconnect there. Avoiding a punch take an entirely different skillset than avoiding gunfire while piloting a vehicle of any sort. Han is a good pilot but hardly invincible. Despite his best efforts there's quite a few instances where the Heroes of Yavin barely escape their Imperial pursuers in the OT. Han can't simply will so many tons of Millennium Falcon to move where he wants it to. It standsthen that despite Han's piloting skill his defense in the MF can only be so good because there's a lot more involved in piloting it than moving his hands around.

However a good GM will take into account a pilot's skill and let them attempt maneuvers that can reduce an attacker's attack bonus or minimize the damage done by a successful attack. Entirely avoiding damage is extremely difficult in either hand to hand or vehicular combat. Minimizing damage taken from attacks however is far easier and far more practical. This is a more likely occurance anyways, otherwise starships wouldn't have shields or armor plating. They would simply use super advanced droid brains to pilot ships that could simply dodge everything.

In a dogfight a better pilot won't necessarily be impossible to hit but simply hard to draw a bead on. If your character is an outstanding pilot they can fly the whole battle at ramming speed since their piloting skills can make up for any penalties accrued from flying at such high speeds. In the movies and books this tends to be the common tactic of better pilots, keep the enemy from being able to take a shot at you. If your character on the defense they had better be using their two movement actions every round to pull some crazy stunts. Flying in a straight line wishing you could pit their pilot skill against their opponent's in an opposed check because they're "better" is silly.

That being said I think the current spaceship combat rules are a bit broken. A ship's Defense rating makes sense but could definitely be improved. Too often strict adherence to the space combat rules makes for boring space combat for most people. It's not nearly as quick or exciting as the books or movies. The escape from the Death Star sequence in ANH for instance would be tedious and boring under the current space combat rules and nothing like what was seen in the film. The same goes for the attack on the second Death Star in RotJ, the current rules are a D20 version of the WEG D6 rules which weren't very good to begin with.

12. Jedi_Caesar

Jedi_Caesar Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    In all of our campaigns we avoid starship battles because we don' like the rules.So we agreed that all space travel and battles are GM tales of what happened.
    We concentrate on ground battles.

13. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Space battles can be fun and work well with better rules from WOTC which is what I hope will happen here.

14. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I was re-exploring my d6 books recently, and it made me think that the condition slide bar thing that is going to come into play is going to be so much more suitable for the star wars game.

As it is, you have batteries, once they run out, you're gone.

The way to recharge them quickly?

Heal Self/Heal Another which are ridiculously ridiculously overpowered, I mean seriously. Look at the alternative, in which case is the D6 universe, the ability there only gives you an additional healing roll or something, it's not that much at all.

Look at Mara Jade in the Hand of Thrawn duology, and Anakin Solo in star by star. Healing of the magnitude permitted by Jedi in the d20 game is unrealistic and unseen in the star wars universe.

The only mad healing I can think of is Luke in a book I haven't read, either Truce at Bakura or one of Barbara Hamley's books; but because I haven't read it I can't comment on it.

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Overview in Jedi Counselling #100 at the WotC Site!

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I like the sound of that. I really do.

17. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    It's still on track for march, which is sweet. I heard some where that it got pushed back.

The system sounds more versetile. I think both Jacen and the Imperial Knights could easily modeled with this system. Ppeaking of the EU, the books seems to focus mainly on the movies, which while i'm a big EU fan, i can still understand. I would love to see a clone wars source book (which they had some work done on for the old system) and a comrehensive book on the NJ) and post NJO era.

I don't own any of the mini's, so i don't know how i feel about their inclusion.

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    But it's not absolutely necessary to have minis to play the RPG. But it helps...

19. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000

I really don't like that. I'm pro-d20, love it or hate it, make it all the same basic system. Here, they are changing one of the basics. No skill ranks?

I snipped out the comment on "Use the Force" Skill because there isn't enough info.

Good. From my experience, autofire and stun were broken or too confusing

I really don't like miniatures, and I don't like being told miniatures aren't going to be required when all the examples in the books are going to use them (see D&D)

Hit points is cool, I'd actually rather see the whole d20 system go to VP/WP. But if they are going with a standard then I support it.

Huh? A Prestige class? I thought the whole point of a Force Adept was that they were brought up in a different tradition, one the player and GM could work together to create? A lot of the most memorable characters in my campaigns have been such characters. Now they have to qualify to be different?

Is New Republic an "Era of Play?" "Tales of the Jedi?" The basic 3 are just too constraining.

See DMG. Put a dozen pages of tables for the basic classes from level 1-20. Really useful.

20. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Yeah, it's a little more work, but I think the VP/WP system works much better in most D20 settings.

21. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    This comes out in two months, seems to be a lack of interest.

Any new info in the past 5 months? I haven't been keeping up and the Wizard's boards down

22. cheshire

cheshire Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2006
    Not much. They've got a pretty tight NDA. The next big thing should be out sometime this month with Jedi Counseling 101. I think that Gary Sarling has said that he's done a final proofread of the book and it's going to meet it's new publishing deadline.

Asside from that, there hasn't been much news. We're waiting for the next update any day now.

23. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    OK, and for everyone who just happens to have uber Pilot skill but hasn't taken levels in a prestige class?

24. LeeroyJenkins

LeeroyJenkins Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2007
    [face_dancing] I think simple will be better. [face_love]

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I want to know if the new book will include something to the effect that force flight can be accomplished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.