main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars Video Games Coming

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Master_Treadlite, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Treadlite

Master_Treadlite Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    Hey everyone!!

I was just snooping around some of the merchandising extravaganza and I found some interesting information about some of the NEW!! Star Wars video game titles coming out for Game Cube, X box, PS2, and cosole. I really don't know how many people here are into the vidoe game scene but I know that these games look fricking amazing and I for one and actually considering buying a couple of the aforementioned consoles because of them! "no wondr I'm poor"... Oh well, it's only money right? Here's a link to some of the info that I was reading this morning and I'll be looking deeper into this an dposting more stuff as I find it.

Is anyone else aware of these new titles and privy to info? I'd loke ot see it please!!!

Thanks.

Oh and it's good to be back... :p

2. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    WHOOPS, I forgot the link, which should really come as no surprise...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/index.php3

http://members.aol.com/mips36/

http://gxtreme.acornwebs.com/

Sorry...

Coal...

Here's another good one with some awesome screen shots, they look better than the movies in some ways...

http://www.techtv.com/extendedplay/e3/story/0,24330,3328310,00.html

WOW!!!!

3. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    Here's some interesting news I pulled off the GAMING EXTREME page that made think, "Hmm, Lucas and Gates together at last... I match someone sold their soul to contrive" :p

~Coal

"The ultimate goal with these versions of Star Wars Galaxies is to solidify LucasArts' position at the forefront of the emerging online console game genre, and we're confident this strategy will do just that," says Randy Breen, vice president of development for LucasArts. "By offering the Star Wars Galaxies series on video game consoles such as Xbox and PlayStation 2, LucasArts will be able to bring this eagerly awaited game to an entirely new audience of players who previously may not have had an opportunity to experience it."

4. Zordok

Zordok Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    Well, I was going to go find some projected release dates, but it appears companies are actually getting smart and not letting their marketing departments make up numbers. This is a good thing, because Disraeli missed a category: there's lies, damn lies, statistics, and release dates.

Of course, I guess this also lets the game companies just keep us in suspense longer, but maybe that gives us good practice for waiting for EP3...

-Zordok

5. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    The Games forum is here. Just mentioning where it's at.

6. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    Do you think it would be possible in the Milwaukee Area to get a group together to have our own little "Jedi Raiding Party" online with this game, it sounds really promising...

Master_Treadlite

7. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I think that would be a great idea Coal. Though I don't think galaxies is going to be released until November or Decemeber (but it's lucas arts so add at least another two months to that release date) however, Knights of the Old Republic comes out in the Fall but for Xbox but we're vg freaks so we have all the systems.

But it's a damned fine idea Master_Treadlite, we should find out how many more people would be interested.

Marcy and Dwayne

8. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    I personally don't own any of the systems yet, but since the prices "just" dropped, I was really really considering buying one and I think that this might be one of the mojor considerations that contribute to the decision. Does anyone have any comments on which one might be the better of the systems to look at? Obviously the internet play has the XBOX (unfortunately) running out in front, but I like to keep an open mind...

Coal...

9. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Playstation has a much better game selection and better third party backing. Modem comes out allegedly in September. I don't think Xbox allows for dial-up and is only broadband capable. Playstation will be both I think. Don't quote me. Xbox sure is pretty though but they still don't have the titles. I'm not sure what that's about though it might have to do with overseas sales. Xbox tanked it in Japan big time plus it's untested. Overall, if I had to pick..it would be playstation 2. Gamecube suffers the same fate as Xbox, no titles..:p

Marcy (and Dwayne)

10. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    As a fellow videogame freak I'd be interested.

I've got a PS2, and I'm planning on getting the Gamecube. The X-box? Maybe.... if some really great games that I really must play ever come out for it. Nothing at the moment though.

11. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I have X-Box and am fairly impressed, though it still doesn't caompare to PC gaming.

12. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    I am still leaning toward the PS2, if nothing more to simply fight the Bill Gates Domination of the World... But I really think that the system, if what Wampa said is right seems like a better decision. On the other hand, did anyone play Jedi Power battles for PS1? I never got around to it, would anyone give comments?

thanks for the insight, and help with the decision making process...

Coal

13. FennShysha

FennShysha Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    I have not played Jedi Power Battles in about a year, however in my oppinion it is the best Star Wars game on PS1. The graphics get a little choppy and the controls can be frustrating at times. However, it's fun cutting battle droids in half and deflecting laser blasters. I recommend you pick it up, especially if you can find it in the bargain bins.

14. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    You know I looked at that game for the longest time and I was like, maybe, maybe not, in the decision making process to buy it. It is really worth it. I mean what's the game play like and what are the objectives. I remember watching someone else playing and like, yes FPS with lightsabers, that's soooo cool. But I don't really know if it'll give me my gamer fix or not...

Help...

Coal..

15. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    If anybody needs a laugh, you should watch me play video games. It took me (and I'm not kidding here) a month to get past that first mushroom guy in Super Mario. [face_laugh] Yes, I'm that bad. I bought a SW fighter game, but I dont' have a joystick yet. I also have a SuperNintendo with all three SW games. Too bad I stink or they might be fun!

16. FennShysha

FennShysha Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    Regarding the gameplay of JPB, you have the choice of I think 5 Jedi's and each Jedi has his/her own special moves. As the game goes along you earns points and in the process develop new combos and force powers.

The objective of the game has kind of the same plot as the Phantom Menace. You start out on the trade federation ship, rescue the Queen, etc. and the games ends with a battle against Darth Maul.

Again, this games does have its negatives(especially jumping) and I don't know if this game holds up after having played X-Box, PS2, and Gameube. I'll probably play the game this weekend and give you a better review of the game.

17. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    Thanks for your imput, I appreciate it immensely, and like I said, it just has to keep me sane until I pop for the new toys anyway...

he he..

Coal

18. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    Do most of the gamers here use consoles or are there some pc gamers?

I'm curious about Galactic Battlegrounds. Has anyone played it and what do you think of it?

The other game I'm curious about is Galaxies...whenever that comes out. I'm afraid my old and slow pc won't be able to handle it though.

19. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    We just got a beast of a system just for the sole purpose of Galaxies. That game is going to suck up what little free time we have..I think maybe we'll be going without sleep.

*sigh*

Marcy

20. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    I looked at the Official site, and they had the following to say about computer requirements for the game:

We haven't announced the minimum system requirements yet. Our target, however, is to run on what is considered to be a low-end machine at the time of release in the second half of 2002.

So, hard to say at this point.

21. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Shyeah..riiiight. While they aren't the same developers, who here remembers Force Commander?

*raises her hand*

Ugh.

22. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    In my opinion JPB plays better than Obi Wan on X-box. It's not as complex, and it's far more linear, but it's more entertaining. The jumping is aggravating, but, jumping always is (except in Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain, where there is a nifty "Jump" power where you aim an outline of yourself, hit a button, and you're there). The worst part has to be either Coruscant, or Tatooine in JPB where the camera angle just isn't right for the angles you have to jump. And it's no good in multiplayer because there is precision jumping, but if one person is out of the screen, their character dies. However it is entertaining, and way better than Episode I: Phantom Menace for PS. The designers of that one should be... killed. I was trying to think of something less, but no, kill them preferably by having someone three inches away, but somehow off camera, shoot them.

Battlegrounds for the PC was made by the Age of Empire people. Same mechanics and gameplay, the only real difference is the addition of flying objects. And all the TIE Fighters and X-wings do is fly to a place, hover, and shoot. They don't really do attack runs, it's "Fly, stop, shoot until target is dead, hover until ordered." Other than that, it's quite entertaining if you like RTS. I usually just play a randomly generated game as the Empire so I can load up a shuttle with Sith lords. I haven't tried playing it with other people via the internet yet but I think that might be fun. There's also a clone expansion coming out, but I don't know what's included. I assume it's just another army choice.

As far as Galaxies is concerned, I can't wait. I can see it will be the end of my "seeing the sun" era, but so be it. Something about the idea of being a dark Jedi Rodian bounty hunter really strikes a cord with me.

There are other games coming out as well, such as Knights of the Old Republic for X-box. Finally there will be a Star Wars RPG. It takes place thousands of years before the battle of Yavin, and I believe you get to choose what kind of character you are (so long as its human) and you can crew your ship with various aliens and droids. There's also Bounty Hunter for PS2 and I believe the two other consoles as well. It's a third person action/adventure game (or first person, but I don't think so) in which you are Jango Fett. The programmers promise no Gungans, and no battle droids. For some reason, shooting biological targets is more satisfying. In addition to those two, there is Clone Wars for PS2 and perhaps the others as well. It seems to be based on the final battle in Episode II and allows you to control anything from a Jedi on foot, to swoops, speeders and maybe some walkers. That's all I can think of at the moment, but I know there are others.

Dwayne

23. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I'm definitely looking forward to Bounty Hunter on the PS2 (saw the really cool demo on Jedi Starfighter - an okay game). I'm also picking up an X-Box later this year solely for Knights of the Old Republic. That game will definitely rule.

Also, I read somewhere recently that Galaxies will actually be on a few consoles. I think it was X-Box and PS2 - so, you may not need a new computer, just a $200 game system (thank god, my computer is starting to become low-end).

Jeff

24. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I don't know if that will require a hard drive for the PS2. Hopefully not, since the characters should be stored on the Galaxies site so that people cannot alter their characters like so many had done in Diablo. Nothing worse than seeing a level 99 barbarian come in to a normal level game and ask for all the waypoints.
    The modem attachment for PS2 is rumored to run about $50, and the hard drive which won't come out probably until next year or whenever FFXI launches, will be another $70 or so. Plus you'll need a keyboard, and maybe a mouse though I think the PS2 has slots to allow for standard keyboards. I'm not 100% sure on that.
    The X-box already has a modem (broadband only I believe) and hard drive. Not sure about the keyboard and mouse hook ups. I believe that Microsoft wanted to stear clear of those a bit because they didn't want it to seem like a computer. Unless it's hidden by a panel, it appears like there isn't a slot for a keyboard or mouse, so you might have to buy special X-box only versions to use the controller slots.
    Either way, still cheaper than upgrading your computer system, but I don't think any console version will be playable at launch of the PC version.

Dwayne

25. Master_Treadlite

May 20, 2002
    I was just wondering where everyone was getting their info from, I haven't seen anything too impressive on GameSpy or other independant sites at all. I was womdering if the LUCASARTS site was working too, I couldn't get on for like months.

Coal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.